how many of you actually saw zepp in concert and when{pre 1980 only}

ledbagelz

09-19-1970 Madison Square Garden, NY.......Sat two rows in back of the stage, right behind Jimmy's amps. Smoked this herb called "chiba chiba", Plant's hair was so long, it looked like a waterfall.

09-03-1971 Madison Square Garden, NY.......Sat in nosebleeds waaaaaaaaaaaaay up behind stage, which collapsed from fans climbing it during encore.

06-14-1972 Nassau Coliseum, Uniondale, NY. 14th row center on floor. Mom knew someone in ticket office.....Right across the street from where I grew up. Imagine that !

07- 2?-1973 Madison Square Garden, NY......No comment. During my "Quaalude Phase" Seats were mid-level behind floor.

03-24-1975 Los Angeles Forum, LA...............Sat all the way in back, first level.....green laser beams shooting across ceiling all night.

Any questions will be gladly answered !

Very Nice!!

What no, '77?!? :P

• 2 months later...

I saw them in '75 at Earls Court London x 2

'76 cannot remember where too stoned

and '79 Knebworth both concerts still have the tee shirts and the programme from the latter show

• 3 weeks later...

I Saw the opening night show at madison sq. garden on 6/7/77. i was 16 and had a first date with a hot chick! we got to our nosebleed seats and i said to her, lets sneak down front, she looked at me and said no way and i said SEE YA!!! I got all the way down right in front of jimmy, it was phenomenal!!! a religious experience!!! i couldnt believe i was in the presence of my idol, the sound was fantastic and the light show blew my mind! there was a green laser light pyramid that surrounded jimmy and when he hit the guitar with the violin bow during dazed and confused, it spun around while smoke blew around him, bonzo had laser lights that shot out of his drum sticks during moby dick, everything was perfect, robert even joked that it was the queens 25th anniversary, and he then dedicated in my time of dying to her! it was definitely the greatest concert of my life, and ive been to over 200 concerts, that girl never talked me again, theres been many girls and many concerts since, but only one LED ZEPPELIN, LONG LIVE LED ZEPPELIN, LONG LIVE ROCK N ROLL!!!!

• 4 weeks later...

Saw them in Brisbane Australia, Feb 29 1972. Small venue,4000 people. I was 15,nearly 16. Best concert ever, Lucky to be one of the 4000. Still see the guys I was there with,and we saw lots of concerts together, all agree Led Zepp was the best. Has bought me a lot of street cred with younger generations over the years. You should see the look on the face of a Gen Y when you tell them you saw Led Zeppelin! They no longer see you as an "old fart". One interesting thing though. going through video of O2 concert in 07, there's some footage taken from an elevated position in the crowd. I showed it to my 20 yo son and asked him what stood out. His reply was that all the guys in the shot were bald! As I am of a similar condition, I'm going with the theory that a Led Zeppelin made me bald.

• 1 month later...

Saw them in Sydney in 1972. I've read where the group said it was one of their favorite performances. all I know is it was massive, blew me head off! We were sitting stage left at the top of the stands when they started and the WHOOOMP from the Bass nearly threw us of the back wall we had jumped up on! Winky grabbed the roof stanchion and a row of arms followed suit or we'd have gone over for sure! It had been drizzle all day and just before they started the sun appeared through the clouds almost like a spotlight on the stage. Damn lucky to see them and still the best live performance I've seen.

1972 Long Beach (my first concert)

1973 The Forum

1975 The Forum

1977 The Forum

1977 San Diego

Looks like we were at some of the same shows, with the exception of San Diego. Never made the trip south to see them in SD...not in 1973, 75 or 77.

• 11 months later...

Seattle Kingdome July 17,1977 We slept or stayed overnight at the Kingdome . I remember the trains running through all hours next to us on to next day. We were close to the front gate when it opened and we got through ticket gate we sprinted to the front center on the floor no chairs stood throughout half the show front row with arms out braced against the wall sardined in with the weight of others against our backs. Its was a very cool experiance upfront until our arms and legs were so tired During the acoustic set we finally decided to move back to the middle with some room and no pressure. Fun Times I will never forget :)

Saw the band twice in Cleveland - either 70 & 71 or 72, I don't remember which two years. I don't think I ever saw Vanilla Fudge and seem to recall they were the only band playing the concerts. I'm surprised to see so many people remember the actual dates of concerts. There were so many great concerts that you didn't keep track so much as kept up.

Saw the band twice in Cleveland - either 70 & 71 or 72, I don't remember which two years. I don't think I ever saw Vanilla Fudge and seem to recall they were the only band playing the concerts. I'm surprised to see so many people remember the actual dates of concerts. There were so many great concerts that you didn't keep track so much as kept up.

27/02/1972 is the only date I remember as it is the only one that impacted on me musically.

As for the many other concerts I attended whilst they were very good (for the most part), they were not as memorable or influential.

Day on the Green, July 23rd 1977. This was my very first concert... I was only 14 and sadly, was dissappointed. This Zeppelin show - as most of you know - was not deserving of "the hammer of the gods" as Robert might've said... The band was 2 hours late, due to some backstage drama involving Bonzo and Bill Graham. In addition to this, Robert's son had passed away ...and I cannot write anymore. Sorry. Their US tour was cancled so the prospect of seeing them again wasn't in the cards. The next time I heard them was - ironically - on the Copenhagen Warm Ups bootleg. Ironic... because the date of the show was July 23rd of 1979. In a strange and beautiful way, listening to that bootleg help make up for the Day on the Green show in '77.

Queenies been around a long, long, time. I was " Bobtised: by Roberts own sweat as I stood at his feet on a small stage at the Grande Ballroom January 1969, in Detroit. We 3 friends drove there in a little MG convertiblie, top down, me in the rumble seat my long black hair and long black cape flowing in the wind, just stoned to the bone ! The venue was barely half filed and they played for hours and were very friendly. I was immediately posessed.Saw then again in Oct 1969 I believe at Olympia stadium, then April 1970 at Cobo hall where we two besties made our own foxy clothes and attempted a side stage approach only to have to take "care" of an enourmously large hairy roadie first, but I did get a side glance from my man and a grin as he was about 20 feet away.WE were too chicken for the fat roadie shit first so backed outta that scenario.The cape was worn however.Then saw them in June of 1972, by then there were thousands that wanted to see them so it was packed, but I always got good tix from a friend agent.Which show I went to in 1973 is iffy , those were the 'scleener" days and a bit foggy.Then back to the Olympia in a cold part of 1975Then the biggest show of all The pontiac Silverdome in April 1977. Waited 18 hours for those tix, outside in the freezin blowin cold.Saw a hell of a slice of life out there in the trenches.Great experience though.Then came 1980, sent my moneyorder in, even having Dad drive us to the main post office to drop off our moneyorders,A few days later I was in mourning, I missed work for a couple days.The heartbeat of my band was dead. There would be no band. I suffered for weeks.I may still be suffering after 33 years. I have been blessed to have the internet and some good friends from the internet to keep me connected to that band that I so love and I have atteneded many of Roberts Shows. I prolly have most boots and vids and all but its not like you can go see them every once in awhile. The anticipation alone, before a show was pure euphoria ! I was blessed to have as much of them as I did and I think Robert knows who I am by the same group of us "Bobettes" who follow him from town to town and that is all I can ask for ,to still enrich my life.I will die listening to Zeppelin with a smile on my face...I just know it.

** The cape has been to all 7 or so Zep concerts as well as nearly 10 Robert plant concerts so the cape is my trademark and many in those days knew me as the Cape lady IT is a floor length , velvet coller woolen cape from London England. I have been offered hundreds of dollors for it. I think i should embroider all the dates it attended and then maybe be buried or cremated in it when the time comes. Thats true love, eh?

Queenies been around a long, long, time. I was " Bobtised: by Roberts own sweat as I stood at his feet on a small stage at the Grande Ballroom January 1969, in Detroit. We 3 friends drove there in a little MG convertiblie, top down, me in the rumble seat my long black hair and long black cape flowing in the wind, just stoned to the bone ! The venue was barely half filed and they played for hours and were very friendly. I was immediately posessed.Saw then again in Oct 1969 I believe at Olympia stadium, then April 1970 at Cobo hall where we two besties made our own foxy clothes and attempted a side stage approach only to have to take "care" of an enourmously large hairy roadie first, but I did get a side glance from my man and a grin as he was about 20 feet away.WE were too chicken for the fat roadie shit first so backed outta that scenario.The cape was worn however.Then saw them in June of 1972, by then there were thousands that wanted to see them so it was packed, but I always got good tix from a friend agent.Which show I went to in 1973 is iffy , those were the 'scleener" days and a bit foggy.Then back to the Olympia in a cold part of 1975Then the biggest show of all The pontiac Silverdome in April 1977. Waited 18 hours for those tix, outside in the freezin blowin cold.Saw a hell of a slice of life out there in the trenches.Great experience though.Then came 1980, sent my moneyorder in, even having Dad drive us to the main post office to drop off our moneyorders,A few days later I was in mourning, I missed work for a couple days.The heartbeat of my band was dead. There would be no band. I suffered for weeks.I may still be suffering after 33 years. I have been blessed to have the internet and some good friends from the internet to keep me connected to that band that I so love and I have atteneded many of Roberts Shows. I prolly have most boots and vids and all but its not like you can go see them every once in awhile. The anticipation alone, before a show was pure euphoria ! I was blessed to have as much of them as I did and I think Robert knows who I am by the same group of us "Bobettes" who follow him from town to town and that is all I can ask for ,to still enrich my life.I will die listening to Zeppelin with a smile on my face...I just know it.

** The cape has been to all 7 or so Zep concerts as well as nearly 10 Robert plant concerts so the cape is my trademark and many in those days knew me as the Cape lady IT is a floor length , velvet coller woolen cape from London England. I have been offered hundreds of dollors for it. I think i should embroider all the dates it attended and then maybe be buried or cremated in it when the time comes. Thats true love, eh?

Loved your story Queenie. I can relate to the riding shotgun in an MG, velvet dresses and jackets and being in exceptionally good and mellow concert mode. You really captured what the experience was like. I think concerts felt way different then than they do now (have only been to small club stuff in the last 15 years). My always-wore article of clothing was a great pair of skinny black suede platform (small platform) boots that zipped up to my knees. Your cape sounds amazing. I have very little vintage left, really wish I would have kept more. Some of that stuff deserves to be framed as art, I recall embroidered, embellished little jackets, mini dresses we'd made in velvet and crepe, flowy peasant tops, etc. There was a time when English fashion first hit North America that the stores didn't have what we wanted so we had to make our stuff. At one point supply was so lacking or way too expensive that I made velvet pants for a friend in a band.

CAPES RULE!

What a great adventure you had Queen of Light! What a thrill it was to read. Thanks for sharing your good times.

In answer to your question about 1973, did you see them in Detroit? If so, then the shows were still in Cobo Hall that tour.

• 3 years later...

Thankies for the great responses to my Zeplife stories. Oh I am a Zep Head through and through, as we all are here. Shadecatcher, I feel like I could have known you back then. Sure enough we sewed our clothes cos we couldn't find any to please the boys in case we got to meet them. Peasant blouses, mini dresses with matching panties, miniskirts, maxi dresses. Oh those were the glorious days. Yup my BFF and I sewed up black velvet hot pants with red satin inserts, and matching halter tops worn with the ever favorite Twiggy thigh high black vinyl boots. Yes we looked 22 at 16 years old, LOL ! Our dream was to sew clothing for the Zep members but someone beat us to it !

Potted Plant, yep prolly was Cobo as we had a good friend who was a ticket agent and always got us great seats there.That was a lot of brain cells ago, tho. Dear BlueEyed Merle I so wish we could have met sometime in our lives ! You are the epitome of Led Zeppelin Lovers and thanx for liking my story ! It was a fantastic time to grow up and I am forever greatfu;l to have be blessed enough to see all the bands that I did especially my Zep.

I never did was too young. One of my Dads friends did though. Got a programme. I never got my hands on it. Been to tribute ones. That is not the thread, Of course. In some ways, I wish i had of lived through the era when the band was massive.

Archived