Lyrics from Neil Young's Downtown

Dharmabum

Jimi's playin' in the back room

Led Zeppelin on stage

There's a mirror ball twirlin'

And a note from Page

Anyone know if these lyrics reference an actual show or is Neil waxing poetic? If the former, any details would be appreciated! I need a date and place to set my time machine...

Hi all,

Led Zeppelin on stage

And a note from Page

Anyone know if these lyrics reference an actual show or is Neil waxing poetic? If the former, any details would be appreciated! I need a date and place to set my time machine...

Just good old Neil,...wishing. He was big fan of both those acts.

After the Crosby,Stills,Nash and Young show at Wembley (Sept 14,1974)

Page and Bonzo join an all-star jam:Page on a borrowed Les Paul copy,Bonzo on drums,Tim Drummond on bass,Stills&Young on guitars,Nash sing along,..........on Young's 'Vampire Blues' and 'On the Beach'

KB

Led Zeppelin on stage

And a note from Page

My comment is only speculation, because the only thing I know about Neil Young is that I like some of his music

...but it sounds like he is knocking Led Zeppelin...

I wonder if there is any bad blood between the two acts (Young and Led Zeppelin)?

I can remember Plant kind of making fun of "Old Man" in between songs in one of the live concerts.

Plant says "Old man take a look at my life, it's a lot like yours" in a playful and sarcastic tone.

(not the exact line but close)

Who knows what Plant was going for. Maybe it was just to be funny or maybe it was some sort of real disdain for Young's style.

I'll try to find the exact reference.

funny how you find the answer 5 seconds after you make a post.

it's in the "Live at Earl's Court" DVD, an unofficial release that I found at Best Buy of all places.

It's right around 6:33, if you want to check his tone.

Neil Young and Robert ARE friends.

From way back.

Neil never ever put down zep or Robert.

Buffalo Springfeild was/is one of Robert's fav bands.

And I believe Neil helped produce some of Logan Plant's music. They are friends.

I suppose both of their remarks were playful then.

...but it sounds like he is knocking Led Zeppelin...

How do you figure?! It's simply a reference to a show, real or fictitious, in which Zeppelin are playing on stage and Hendrix is in the backroom. The rest of the song lyrics, as best as I can remember, are about going downtown to where the hippies hang-out and listen to music. Something like that. In any event, it sounds very nostalgic to me and I can just imagine what a concert like that might have been circa 69-70. I swear I was there in my past life... :rolleyes:

I read a inteview,,,,,,,,,,, Neil Young was refering to the Rock in Roll Hall of Fame in which Zep and him were inducted,,,,, and then they played together. The banter of reheasing songs backstage,,,,,,,,, got a note from Page on what songs they might be doing.. He also refered to the mirror ball that was a staple in the Zep concerts in the 70s, Metephors yes,,,,,,,,,,,, but the true date of what the lyrics were talking about was the R&R Hall of Fame. These words are true,,,,,,,,,, please post them.

I read a inteview,,,,,,,,,,, Neil Young was refering to the Rock in Roll Hall of Fame in which Zep and him were inducted,,,,, and then they played together. The banter of reheasing songs backstage,,,,,,,,, got a note from Page on what songs they might be doing.. He also refered to the mirror ball that was a staple in the Zep concerts in the 70s, Metephors yes,,,,,,,,,,,, but the true date of what the lyrics were talking about was the R&R Hall of Fame. These words are true,,,,,,,,,, please post them.

Hmmm...maybe so. What about Jimi backstage? In any event, nobody has identified a particular concert date in which both Hendrix and Zeppelin played so I assume the verse must be metaphor/collage.

Hmmm...maybe so. What about Jimi backstage? In any event, nobody has identified a particular concert date in which both Hendrix and Zeppelin played so I assume the verse must be metaphor/collage.

Ah but it doesn't say "Jimi" was backstage.........his music was playing in the back room that's all, whilst Zeppelin were on stage.

• 1 month later...
Hi all,

Just good old Neil,...wishing. He was big fan of both those acts.

After the Crosby,Stills,Nash and Young show at Wembley (Sept 14,1974)

Page and Bonzo join an all-star jam:Page on a borrowed Les Paul copy,Bonzo on drums,Tim Drummond on bass,Stills&Young on guitars,Nash sing along,..........on Young's 'Vampire Blues' and 'On the Beach'

KB

Do you know if this show circulates?

Archived