Largest ever hoard of Anglo Saxon Treasure Discovered

Pagey_17

The UK's largest haul of Anglo-Saxon gold has been discovered buried beneath a field in Staffordshire.

The hoard, believed to date back to the seventh century, contains around 5kg of gold and 2.5kg of silver, far bigger than previous finds - including the Sutton Hoo burial site.

The staggering discovery by a 55-year-old metal detector enthusiast on private farmland will redefine perceptions of Anglo-Saxon England, experts predict.

Terry Herbert, from Burntwood, Staffordshire, came across the hoard as he searched a field near his home with his trusty 14-year-old detector.

A coroner today officially declared the haul to be treasure. The ruling by South Staffordshire coroner Andrew Haigh means the haul of at least 1,345 items will now be valued by a committee of experts before being offered for sale.

article-1215723-0690E084000005DC-94_634x747.jpg

article-1215723-0690E090000005DC-253_634x457.jpg

article-1215723-0690F5AE000005DC-55_306x423.jpg

^ :lol: Good one, Danny!

That's so cool! Thanks for posting it, Pagey_17. I remember studying the Sutton Hoo ship burial-very exciting! Can you provide a link? The gold and silver amount compared to Sutton Hoo sounds a bit off, but it's been a while. Those pics are awesome :thumbsup:

No one knows where it came from and who, when or why it was hid there.... This sound's like it was stolen and then stashed there and the person who stashed it didn't tell any one or could not find it again or fled for their life or was killed/died before they could tell about it. ;)

Or maybe it was a part of a forgotten hovel/shire that no one knew about in modern time's. :slapface:

Some in depth research is at hand for that mystery! :o

No one knows where it came from and who, when or why it was hid there.... This sound's like it was stolen and then stashed there and the person who stashed it didn't tell any one or could not find it again or fled for their life or was killed/died before they could tell about it. ;)

Or maybe it was a part of a forgotten hovel/shire that no one knew about in modern time's. :slapface:

Some in depth research is at hand for that mystery! :o

Hi 'BonzoLikeDrumer'

Dont Tell Me

Its

Robin Fcuking Hood

Regards, Danny

^ :lol: Good one, Danny!

That's so cool! Thanks for posting it, Pagey_17. I remember studying the Sutton Hoo ship burial-very exciting! Can you provide a link? The gold and silver amount compared to Sutton Hoo sounds a bit off, but it's been a while. Those pics are awesome :thumbsup:

Amazing isn't it!

He He He!!! Good one dude!

:party: Steal from the rich and :wizard: .... Mmmmuuuuaaaaha ha ha ha! Me think's I keep it for me self!

Just for you 'BonzoLikeDrumer' a little ditty from my childhood.

Robin Hood, Robin Hood,

Running through the Grass,

William Tell, William Tell,

Shot him up the Arse,

Steals from the Poor,

Gives too the Rich,

Stupid Bitch.

Archived