I've Been Going to the...MOOOOvies

bigstickbonzo

Watched "The Big Short" and "The Revenant" recently. Great audiences in both, I'm happy to say :) "The Big Short" had the banking types in the crowd rolling and gasping. It's shocking just how far the ruse was allowed to go and how many openly knew about it. No wonder there are - or ought to be - rules in place to protect these people from themselves. I loved, too, that "When the Levee Breaks" at the end actually fit what they were saying and that the whole song was played. Interesting that the guy who made hundreds of millions for his investors by betting against the housing market is now investing in water, isn't it?

"The Revenant" was artsy and violent. It had an almost meditative pace, and was beautiful in cinematography and symbols. If I had to be picky, I found Leo's acting to be a bit distracting, especially the scenes where he's struggling physically. I've seen many of his movies, and his characters react the same way (in terms of how it looks physically and the level of intensity) to various emotional or physical stimuli. I don't see why he relies on the same stock reactions in different movies and roles. I think he's a great actor, and has acted well in many roles, but like Pacino, sometimes seems to go to tried tricks of the craft. Two of his best roles in terms of portraying emotions that were unique to the characters were "What's Eating Gilbert Grape?" and "Total Eclipse". 

Also, much like in his role as Bane in "The Dark Knight Rises", I had no idea what Tom Hardy was mumbling throughout "The Revenant". You get the gist because of its context in the movie, but I'm surprised they let him just chew his way through a largely unintelligible southern accent. 

These are small points in an otherwise very good film. I loved the parallel development and tension of the human instinct for survival and desire for revenge alongside a higher calling for learning to let go. The father-son scenes were so moving, too. 

^^^You know my view on "The Big Short". As for "Revenant", I suggest you seek out Richard Harris in "Man in the Wilderness" for a less-Hollywood cliché take on the same story of Hugh Glass' survival from a bear attack.

Golden Globes are tonight and as usual, the categories make little sense. Why are "The Martian" and "The Big Short" in the Comedy-Musical section? :blink:

The Foreign Film is most interesting to me. Having seen all the nominees, I am definitely cheering for the Turkish movie "Mustang" to win. A rapturous and deeply involving film from start-to-finish, and one of the few times we get to see a woman's undiluted vision put on screen, uncompromised.

Now that the awards shows are coming, many of these foreign films may finally get a release in theatres besides Los Angeles and New York. Please seek "Mustang" out and watch it. I also liked Belgium's "The Brand New Testament", if not as much as "Mustang". Either one of these two I would be happy winning tonight...or at the Academy Awards.

"The Fencer", "The Club", and "Son of Saul", while each had moments (including one of the most harrowing opening scenes in cinema in "Son of Saul"...more effective in its 5-10 minutes than all 3 hours of "Schindler's List"), as the whole they weren't as consistently good as the other two.

As for the main Best Picture categories...I guess I would pick "Carol" in the Drama category, "The Big Short" in Comedy-Musical, and "Anomalisa" or "Shaun the Sheep" in Animation Film.

26 minutes ago, Patrycja said:

^^ Will do, Strider, thanks for the recommendation. I take it you weren't fond of Iñárritu's version?

Not particularly. Oh, visually there were some moments. But I will wait until you see "Man in the Wilderness" before delineating my issues with "Revenant", for I cannot without divulging spoilers for "Man in the Wilderness".

Happy to see The Martian win Best Picture and Matt Damon, Best Actor. I didn't see all of the movies that were nominated but just saw The Martian and thought it was fantastic! :)  As others have mentioned, not sure why this was in the comedy category...hmmm. 

On 14/12/2015 at 11:00 AM, Strider said:

Just getting out of "The Hateful 8" screening. Reswati, it was bloody great! Accent on the BLOODY! A cackling Jennifer Jason Leigh, face full of blood, is a sight I won't forget. 

And shot gorgeously on 70mm film, not digital. We saw the complete Road Show version, with an overture and intermission, it was slightly over 3 hours. Some theatres will get the 70mm Road Show version, the mall theatres will get a shorter version.

If you like Tarantino you'll like "The Hateful 8". If you don't like Tarantino then this probably won't change your mind.

I think the film was a mess, everyone of the characters  in film spoke Tarantino, they should have their own voices.

It is no Stagecoach , sometimes a good director, needs a editor and maybe a bit help with his script.

On July 29, 2015 at 4:17 PM, cryingbluerain said:

Looking forward to this:

Powerful, intense, riveting story of extreme courage in a modern day Alamo situation. Definitely worth seeing no matter which side of the fence you are on.

http://abcnews.go.com/Entertainment/real-life-heroes-13-hours-secret-soldiers-benghazi/story?id=36325764

Being surprised, but happy that it wasn't "Revenant", by "The Big Short" winning the PGA Best Picture award, I went to see it again tonight. It's even better the second-time around, as you're more prepared for the specifics and mechanics of the story.

Again, I just love the entire cast, including the people who pop up in small roles like Marisa Tomei and Melissa Leo (who was completely unrecognizable to me).

Two items in the closing credits (in which Led Zeppelin's "When the Levee Breaks" sounds so good blasting out of the theatres surround sound speakers) caught my eye.

1. Someone omitted Memphis Minnie's name in the song credits for "When the Levee Breaks". Now, on Led Zeppelin IV, the band credits Memphis Minnie on the album label so I am guessing this mistake was by someone connected to the movie. But you just know some busybody will use this error to blame Led Zeppelin and accuse them of not giving Memphis Minnie her due. If I was one of Jimmy or Robert's lawyers I would call up the movie's producers and give them hell and tell 'em to fix the mistake.

2. MC5 founder-guitarist Wayne Kramer plays guitar on the original score during the film.

Being an overly curious fan of The Sound of Music, I cannot wait to watch the following film tonight! Originally released in October, 1956, it is based on the memoirs of Maria Von Trapp! 

A special shout out to my fellow Sound of Music fan, Debbie! :wave: If you are reading this, I recommend you watch this movie too (if you haven't already! :friends: )

TRAPP+_family.jpg

6 hours ago, Kiwi_Zep_Fan87 said:

Being an overly curious fan of The Sound of Music, I cannot wait to watch the following film tonight! Originally released in October, 1956, it is based on the memoirs of Maria Von Trapp! 

A special shout out to my fellow Sound of Music fan, Debbie! :wave: If you are reading this, I recommend you watch this movie too (if you haven't already! :friends: )

TRAPP+_family.jpg

Ahhhhh!!!  I have not seen it and will check it out soon. Thanks for the lead, Kiwi! :friends: 

The Wayans brothers continue their assault on innocent Americans with another one of their cinematic crap-fests..."50 Shades of Black". Between the Wayans and Tyler Perry and Kevin Hart, it's no wonder people think black people will swallow any swill you give them if these types of movies continue to make money.

John Singleton hasn't made a decent thing in years, Spike Lee is all over the map. Steve McQueen can't do it all...there's got to be someone else out there willing to stop pandering to Stepin Fetchit-level humour and raise the bar a little. Every trailer I see for black-themed movies is filled with the dumbest and base stereotypes.

Well, I've been thinking about this a lot lately, and it struck me that I have never really gotten down to making a list of my favourite movies (the ones that I can watch over and over again - this list will definitely expand with time, but at the moment, this is it). 

Anyway, here goes nothing. It's a long list, so please pardon me! :P 

Horror

Band Films / Documentaries 

Musicals

Thrillers and Super-natural movies

Drama

Comedy

I Love You Man has been included in this list, because of Rush! :P 

Animation

Well, that's a wrap! Whew!

Edited by Kiwi_Zep_Fan87

I went to this last night http://www.americancinemathequecalendar.com/content/the-hateful-eight-1 and Jennifer Jason Leigh told a funny-sad story about one of the scenes.

She told how the guitar she played in the film was a vintage Martin acoustic from the 1800s worth thousands of dollars and she fell in love with it and was hoping to either buy it from Martin after filming was over or maybe get Quentin or Martin bequeath it to her as a parting gift. So when they shot that scene where she plays and sings in one take, her reaction was real when Kurt Russell took the guitar and smashed it to pieces. She was really aghast and upset at what Kurt did. When Kurt found out about the guitar's value and that Jennifer was hoping to keep it after filming, he cried and was sorry. Martin ended up giving Jennifer another guitar from the 1840s.

When Jennifer asked Quentin why he didn't yell "cut" after she finished playing her song, Quentin replied that the take was so perfect he didn't want to spoil the magic by interrupting and decided to let the camera roll to capture Kurt Russell's reaction. Unfortunately, nobody knew Kurt was going to go John Belushi on the valuable guitar.

• 1 month later...