I've Been Going to the...MOOOOvies

bigstickbonzo

I tried. It should have been at the Regal Cinema. I am in 14568 or 14450. It must be gone already. Perhaps it did not do well? But I am surprsed its not around?

It's still playing in my area but you may be right. At least one friend I know of that saw it was less than impressed and one news story I just saw referred to it as a "flop".

It's still playing in my area but you may be right. At least one friend I know of that saw it was less than impressed and one news story I just saw referred to it as a "flop".

It would probably be the first flop by Hanks. I mean, I cant think of one bad movie he ever did. I mean, Splash was not so hot but was still appeling for the day. The rest is history, Saving Private Ryan, You've Got Mail, are classics. Castaway, was good. Hanks is a great actor so I will have to see it myself before I judge it.

I tried. It should have been at the Regal Cinema. I am in 14568 or 14450. It must be gone already. Perhaps it did not do well? But I am surprsed its not around?

"Larry Crowne" is not around anymore because it SUCKED! It sucked donkey balls. Absolutely no chemistry between Hanks and Julia Roberts, who has been overrated for a long time anyway. Stupid story, no chemistry between the two leads meant that it was destined for the scrap heap. Unlike the superhero movies and summer action movies with big special effects, where reviews don't matter as the kids will go like lemmings to see it no matter how foul(and Michael Bay thanks his lucky stars every day that fanboys are so dumb), a movie ostensibly for adults like "Larry Crowne" depends on good reviews to entice the adults out to see it. If the reviews are bad, the opening weekend is slow and the movie withers on the vine.

Oh, and Tom Hanks has had a few duds..."The Da Vinci Code" and "Angels and Demons" was bullshit...and "The Ladykillers" was probably the worst Coen Brothers film of their career. And I am not even going to get into how much I loathed "Forrest Gump".

As for Julia Roberts, the only thing she's done recently that's been any good was "Duplicity", with Clive Owen, Paul Giamatti, and Tom Wilkinson...yeah, that's a pretty good cast! For once, Julia and her male co-lead, Clive Owen, have a spark of chemistry together. Oh, and also "Charlie Wilson's War". That's the Tom Hanks-Julia Roberts movie you should see, NOT "Larry Crowne".

Edited by Strider

"Larry Crowne" is not around anymore because it SUCKED! It sucked donkey balls. Absolutely no chemistry between Hanks and Julia Roberts, who has been overrated for a long time anyway. Stupid story, no chemistry between the two leads meant that it was destined for the scrap heap. Unlike the superhero movies and summer action movies with big special effects, where reviews don't matter as the kids will go like lemmings to see it no matter how foul(and Michael Bay thanks his lucky stars every day that fanboys are so dumb), a movie ostensibly for adults like "Larry Crowne" depends on good reviews to entice the adults out to see it. If the reviews are bad, the opening weekend is slow and the movie withers on the vine.

Oh, and Tom Hanks has had a few duds..."The Da Vinci Code" and "Angels and Demons" was bullshit...and "The Ladykillers" was probably the worst Coen Brothers film of their career. And I am not even going to get into how much I loathed "Forrest Gump".

As for Julia Roberts, the only thing she's done recently that's been any good was "Duplicity", with Clive Owen, Paul Giamatti, and Tom Wilkinson...yeah, that's a pretty good cast! For once, Julia and her male co-lead, Clive Owen, have a spark of chemistry together. Oh, and also "Charlie Wilson's War". That's the Tom Hanks-Julia Roberts movie you should see, NOT "Larry Crowne".

I am not one to immediatley dismiss watching a film due to ratings alone. Some great movies have been shot down by the so called expert movie critics and were very good in the end. I have faith that you are probably accurate about Larry Crowne and as for forrest Gump, its a movie that is good to see one time. I could never watch it again . He really gets annoyiing in it. I can put up with Rain Man much more than that. But Hanks is indeed a superstar in my book. His performances in many other films have put him on the charts with many of the all time greats. I have to put him in the league of superstars and he will no doubt come back with a vengeance at some point. Never count Hanksout. he will shine again as all stars do.,

Not that we're taking a poll here, but I have never been able to sit all the way through Forrest Gump and I've tried a few times. Hanks is hit and miss with me.

Jahfin, is there a favorite actors thread already? I'll do a search if I don't hear back from you first. Don't want to derail this one.

The wife took my son, niece and nephew to the Smurfs movie yesterday. She thought it was cute, but said I would've hated it. Anyone seen the new Harrison Ford movie yet? She is wanting me to take her to it.

Great scenes from 'Napoleon Dynamite'

The Time Machine

The Rex Kwan-Do class

Uncle Rico throwing the steak at Napoleon

Napoleon feeding Tina

Napoleon's failed bike jump

Napoleon's dance scene

Pedro's head getting too hot

Napoleon's drawing of Trisha

I love this movie and bought it on Amazon for 49 cents and also got the cd soundtrack for 11 cents ($3 to ship each) but still worth it.

:D

Looking forward to seeing this over the weekend but I do admit to having my reservations about it, especially after Tim Burton's film from a few years back. Pop Matters gives the new one a pretty good review which you can read here.

Hollywood sure knows how to beat a dead horse. I mean, Charleton Heston's original was the only one worth ever seeing IMO. But to each his own.

Hollywood sure knows how to beat a dead horse. I mean, Charleton Heston's original was the only one worth ever seeing IMO. But to each his own.

Like Tim Burton's film, this one apparently isn't a remake or a sequel, it just uses the premise of an ape uprising to formulate it's plot. The original with Heston is still my favorite and most likely always will be but even it didn't adhere very strictly to the book by Pierre Boulle which inspired it. The main thing this new one has going for it is that it comes at the story from an intellectual standpoint and is apparently not another mindless movie to munch popcorn to. Durham, NC's Independent Weekly also gives it a favorable review which is a good sign but I'll have to make up my mind by watching it myself.

Hi all,

Like Tim Burton's film, this one apparently isn't a remake or a sequel, it just uses the premise of an ape uprising to formulate it's plot.

That was already done in 'Conquest of the Planet of the Apes' (1972).Different angle.

Good reviews in the new film.Andy Srekis as Caesar,.....

KB

Like Tim Burton's film, this one apparently isn't a remake or a sequel, it just uses the premise of an ape uprising to formulate it's plot. The original with Heston is still my favorite and most likely always will be but even it didn't adhere very strictly to the book by Pierre Boulle which inspired it. The main thing this new one has going for it is that it comes at the story from an intellectual standpoint and is apparently not another mindless movie to munch popcorn to. Durham, NC's Independent Weekly also gives it a favorable review which is a good sign but I'll have to make up my mind by watching it myself.

Well then give us a review. I am very selective as to going to a theatre to watch a movie now. Expecially now that its $11.75 or thereabouts for the film and $30 for a popcorn and a small pop.

Hi all,

Well then give us a review. I am very selective as to going to a theatre to watch a movie now. Expecially now that its $11.75 or thereabouts for the film and $30 for a popcorn and a small pop.

Bingo. I will not spend $45 to go see any film.I will wait to get them dirt cheap on-line,...that way I can pause them and go to the lu,... ;)

KB

Yeah, going to the movies these days can definitely be cost prohibitive. I wasn't too keen about seeing Rise of the Planet of the Apes back when I first saw the previews in the spring but these favorable reviews have at least piqued my interest. I recently found a local theatre that has a $6.50 admission but it still sets you back around $6-7 for a drink and popcorn. The theatre is in very good condition and far from run down but it's not state of the art or stadium seating either. Considering the price difference, I think the lack of those sort of creature comforts is something I can live with.

Yeah, going to the movies these days can definitely be cost prohibitive. I wasn't too keen about seeing Rise of the Planet of the Apes back when I first saw the previews in the spring but these favorable reviews have at least piqued my interest. I recently found a local theatre that has a $6.50 admission but it still sets you back around $6-7 for a drink and popcorn. The theatre is in very good condition and far from run down but it's not state of the art or stadium seating either. Considering the price difference, I think the lack of those sort of creature comforts is something I can live with.

We have alot of Regal cinema's here. One is called Tinsletown. they are the only one I know of that actually has pizza and its not bad or even expensive believe it or not. But its a fair drive from my new townhouse we bought two years ago and last I heard people were getting their car stereo's ripped off once in a while. I will go to the theatre if a movie comes along that I really want to see. The last I saw at the theatre was Clint Eastwood's Grand Torino. I just cant resist Clint. Or Pacino. That is why I want to see the Hanks film, even though I am not hearing much good about it. I mean, how bad can it be? Hanks and Roberts? I guess I will find out when it comes on DVD.

For a movie like Rise of the Planet of the Apes, or Avatar, I want to pay to see the full 3D experience.

For other movies that look interesting, but have no special effects, I wait an extra couple months and see it at the $1.99 theater.

For still others that merely look interesting, I usually notice that it's on OnDemand and check it out.

True, I saw The Hangover Part II on opening weekend, but that was one movie I was rabidly awaiting.