“Shadows Taller Than Our Souls “

Magenta

Sorry if this has been discussed already!

Book Revew

So what do you think?

This arrived in my mail today from Amazon. Just a cursory glance so far. It's good. But not as comprehensive as I had hoped. A good buy for a new or casual fan.

The little extra things are novel and interesting ( ticket stubs,CD etc). But I would have liked more previously unseen photos (which is probably pretty hard to do with this group).

The last book that was recently published,Good Times Bad Times,featured quite a few unique photos and I was hoping to see more in this tome.

This arrived in my mail today from Amazon. Just a cursory glance so far. It's good. But not as comprehensive as I had hoped. A good buy for a new or casual fan.

The little extra things are novel and interesting ( ticket stubs,CD etc). But I would have liked more previously unseen photos (which is probably pretty hard to do with this group).

The last book that was recently published,Good Times Bad Times,featured quite a few unique photos and I was hoping to see more in this tome.

Got mine yesterday and echo your sentiments

I was thinking of buying this book or the other new one Good Times/Bad Times but haven't decided. Borders has a 40% off list price coupon for their stores good till this Monday. Also good at Waldenbooks. Should I buy either of them or both? Let me know.

Thanks!

I was thinking of buying this book or the other new one Good Times/Bad Times but haven't decided. Borders has a 40% off list price coupon for their stores good till this Monday. Also good at Waldenbooks. Should I buy either of them or both? Let me know.

Thanks!

If I could buy only one of these books,I'd definitely go with "Good Times Bad Times".

"Shadows" is nice but its very basic ( despite the extra goodies) and not in depth at all. No new material here,unfortunately.

For my money,the "Good Times" book is a better buy-just based on it including rare photos.

If I could buy only one of these books,I'd definitely go with "Good Times Bad Times".

"Shadows" is nice but its very basic ( despite the extra goodies) and not in depth at all. No new material here,unfortunately.

For my money,the "Good Times" book is a better buy-just based on it including rare photos.

Thanks! I usually just go to the public library versus buying books but have bought a few Zep books. The last one I bought was Mick Wall's book.

I'm half way through reading it, and it is OK but nothing that I have not read before. The 'Good Times Bad Times' book sounds good, and I'm waiting for that one to arrive.

For UK based fans, there is a good book that you can pick up at the HMV Sale 'Led Zeppelin: The Illustrated Biography' by Gareth Thomas. It is more a photo book than a story book and there were some pics I had never seen before. It was great value at only £5 !! There is a link to it here ;

http://hmv.com/hmvweb/simpleMultiSearch.do?searchUID=&pGroupID=books+and+posters&adultFlag=false&primaryID=books+and+posters&simpleSearchString=led+zeppelin

You're welcome. The Mick Wall book was quite good if I recall correctly.

Sorry if this has been discussed already!

Book Revew

So what do you think?

I just finished "Good Times Bad Times", and just started "Shadows Taller Than Our Soul." GTBT is almost strictly a pictorial history. That said, while it doesn't offer anything that Zep fans don't already know, some of the rare/previously unpublished photos are worth the price of admission.

"Shadows..." is more in depth, but again, nothing really "new" for Zep fans. What sets "Shadows..." apart is the really cool interactive stuff included in the book: reproductions of ticket stubs, tour books, press releases, stickers, etc., as well as rare photos and a CD interview with James Patrick Page.

For me, still the best LZ book by far is "Led Zeppelin 1968-1980" by Keith Shadwick. Rather than dealing with the tawdry offstage excesses documented in "Hammer of the Gods", the Shadwick book (and "Shadows...", for that matter) is much more focused on LZ's music.

If I had to choose bewteen GTBT and "Shadows...", I would definately go for the latter.

What sets "Shadows..." apart is the really cool interactive stuff included in the book: reproductions of ticket stubs, tour books, press releases, stickers, etc., as well as rare photos and a CD interview with James Patrick Page.

I agree with this! I have both books and love the interactive stuff in "Shadows". I like GTBT too. Both are really just eye candy as opposed to a serious, in depth, biography, in my opinion. But I love that! :)

• 1 month later...

I picked this up at the bookstore today. Actually I almost tripped over it is a better way to phrase it. It was so prominently displayed that you couldn't miss it. That was pretty cool. (and the fact that the bookstore was playing "Please Read The Letter" while I was looking at it was even cooler! ;)

• 3 weeks later...
  • 7 years later...

Archived