Track by Track Day 3: You Shook Me

Finally day 3. I've been sick... Day 3: You Shook Me. It's the first of many bluesy Led Zeppelin songs. I just gave the original a listen for this topic. Led Zeppelin really put more life into the song and added a new twist with page and plant's back and forth parts. I think AC/DC's cover is alright but not near as good as Led Zeppelin's. Overall I think this is a great song. Thoughts? Anything else to add?

Why do I get the feeling that we're going to be talking about a lot of other bands/artists on these first few albums or so? ;)

Some people don't like it, but I certainly do because it puts Led Zeppelin in perspective. I'm from the camp that says music is for the people and can't really be stolen blah blah blah blah and now everyone thinks I'm crazy...

BUT

This was not the first song entitled "You Shook Me" that John Paul Jones worked on. He played piano on Jeff Beck's version, which was released in August of 1968. They did it first! But #1 Led Zeppelin did it differently and #2 they didn't live in a world where you have the internet and you know what every artist is up to, so I always think it's unfair when someone says that Led Zeppelin took it from Jeff Beck.

Led Zeppelin's version was released January 12th 1969, only 4 months or so after Beck's version.

I believe this is Beck speaking here (I found this in the 2006 release of Jeff Beck's album Truth, and is sort of an indirect reference to Led Zeppelin's version:

"I still maintain that the two- and three-minute singles of the '50s ... any piece of music that stands the test of 50 years can't be such a bad idea. 'Be Bop A Lula'? Two guitar solos, two and a half minutes, done. If you're talking about bare-bones 12-bars, please don't bore us for twenty minutes"

Anyways, I know I'm not bored by listening to Led Zeppelin's version, which is almost 3 times as long (6:30 vs. 2:28)... More for my buck!

Beck's version ain't bad though. Still very good, but really they are different enough in my book to just be to separate instances of how two different artists can transform the landscape.

I think AC/DC's cover is alright but not near as good as Led Zeppelin's. Overall I think this is a great song. Thoughts? Anything else to add?

AC/DC did not cover the Willie Dixon song 'You Shook Me', they wrote 'You Shook Me All Night Long'. They are 2 separate songs... B)

IMHO- Roberts vocals & harmonica, JPJ on organ/keyboards then Jimmy kicks in in with Bonzo who holds back until just the right moment. Towards the end when Jimmy and Robert kick in it in with vocals and guitar as if they were one.

Just another great song to share with someone who should we say...Shook You All Night Long :veryhot:

Jeff Beck and Jimmy Page not only came from the same scene, but from the same band, where they'd even spent a short period playing dual lead guitar, so it's certainly no wonder there are similarities in the direction taken by them after leaving The Yardbirds. Jeff has sometimes nagged about it in interviews, but it's just a classic song and bearing this background in mind, what Jimmy did cannot be considered a ripoff in any way. Aside from this context, Jeff's version is excellent - and Led Zeppelin's is better still. There are quite a few of Jimmy's trademarks on there, including the studio-created backwards echo.

One of the greatest aspects of the song is that it doesn't only have a guitar solo, but also harmonica and and "blues organ" soloing. Of course the guitar solo is, at least in my opinion, the climax of the song and it sounds like Zep thought so too, because a bit into Jimmy's solo everything else stops playing. This emphasizes the solo so enormously that I honestly get goosebumps every time I listen to it :)

Reasons why I like Zep's version more than Jeff Beck's:

1. the backwards echo at the end

2. Jimmy's solo along with Bonzo's drumming at the end (sheer power! :D )

3. the keyboard & harmonica solos

4. I love the way Robert sings along with the guitar (especially when they both descend on the word "long" :D )

I don't really care for live versions that much because they don't sound as powerful to me.

Damn... that intro gets me every time

I think this song just show cases every member perfectly:

2:07-3:00 Jonesy & the killer organ

3:01-3:56 Robert on harmonica

3:57-4:52 Jimmy

The whole song: BONZO :)

Around 4:20-27 is GREAT though

You shook me. Alllalalalalallalallllll niiiiiiiiiight looooooong!!!!!!!

Classic

• 3 weeks later...

Great blues-rock song by Led Zeppelin. I've always liked the song. It's bluesy and heavy at the same time. The whole song in my opinion is great, Robert Plant's great vocals and harmonica solo, John Paul Jones' organ solo, John Bonham's drumming and Jimmy Page's solo. My favorite part of the song is Jimmy Page's awesome solo and call and response effect at the end of the song. The song is also good live in my opinion. I've listened to the original version and Jeff Beck's version both and actually my favorite is Led Zeppelin's version, though I like other two versions too. But Led Zeppelin's version is really what makes it.

• 3 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 7 years later...

My Favourite version will always be the April 27th 1969 Fillmore West one (in fact, the run of "I Can't Quit You"<"As Long As I Have You"<"You Shook Me" from that night is in my opinion, Zeppelin at their best), but I love the July 21st 1969 Central Park Version (it's got a nice aggressive feel to it).  

On 2010-4-22 at 6:55 AM, ringoffire said:

It's my least favorite track on the record. It just drags a little for me.

Have to go along with this assessment.

The production and sound is fantastic but I find it stodgy and a bit of a slog.

Great performances, though.

Archived