"Led Zeppelin's" mention in the Semi-Official Biography of Cream

zeppphead

Though CREAM's meteoric life would not last for three years, the Power Trio would contribute greatly to the evolution of electric music. Not only did it pave the way for the hard rock of Jimi Hendrix and Led Zeppelin (and the ugly heavy metal spawned by late Zeppelin and future heavy metal groups); it also made possible the phenomena of electric jazz and progressive rock, such as John McLaughlin's Mahavishnu Orchestra. CREAM encouraged musicians to seize the limelight and introduced the very concept of the Power Trio. It broke the barriers of the pop-rock song form to bring respectability to musicianship.

From http://www.jackbruce.com/cream/intro.htm

This dude, though a highly talented musician, is so full of mindless self-importance, arrogance and excessive self-esteem. Zep up your ass you jealous oldman!

It didn't seem like there were any quotation marks around any of that statement and it says it's a biography not an autobiography so it's possible that it was the authors opinion there.

However Ginger Baker said this about Jack Bruce:

When he's Dr. Jekyll, he's fine... It's when he's Mr. Hyde that he's not. And I'm afraid he's still the same. I tell you this - there won't ever be any more Cream gigs, because he did Mr. Hyde in New York last year.

The 2 of them were known for sabotaging each others equipment.

Oh, he shouted at me on stage, he turned his bass up so loud that he deafened me on the first gig. What he does is that he apologises and apologises, but I'm afraid, to do it on a Cream reunion gig, that was the end. He killed the magic, and New York was like 1968... It was just a get through the gig, get the money sort of deal. I was absolutely amazed. I mean, he demonstrated why he got the sack from Graham Bond and why Cream didn't last very long on stage in New York. I didn't want to do it in the first place simply because of how Jack was. I have worked with him several times since Cream, and I promised myself that I would never work with him again. When Eric first came up with the idea, I said no, and then he phoned me up and eventually convinced me to do it. I was on my best behaviour and I did everything I could to make things go as smooth as possible, and I was really pleasant to Jack.

I don't see where the quotes there are that far off. Those things he spoke of are true in that Cream certainly helped out on. The only part I disagree on is that the "late" Zeppelin affected 'ugly heavy metal'. Zeppelin were much heavier in their early days, but ugly heavy metal of the 80s was just that UGLY!!!! Those ugly metal bands were more affected by Plant's hair than Led Zep's music.

Jack Bruce needs to listen to his own music. So many of their concerts were free form Jams with Bruce, Baker and Clapton were out to be king for the night. Their Jams turned into 3 different songs been played as one. For him to keep slandering Led Zeppelin shows his pettiness.

Archived