Jimmy's Book: VERY Limited Edition!

mstork

mstork, so far as I know there are no plans whatsoever to release a much cheaper, mass produced version of this book.

Having said that, it's disheartening for me to report there are a number of inexcusable errors within the book.

There are tour date discrepancies, and many of the photos are incorrectly dated. Some examples are a (Boston) Tea Party shot being attributed to the Kinetic Playground in Chicago, a Sep 70 "Blueberry Hill" photo captioned LA 1971, and one of the iconic guitar army shots from Oakland 77 (including acoustic guitars) presented among the San Francisco Kezar '73 photos.

The '75 shots are all over the map and aren't even consistent within the context of the information given in the book, like having multiple shots attributed to the same show despite them being in completely different clothing. The '77 shots are out of order in terms of the dates on the tour and most of the NY shots are just ascribed to NY when they could have easily been attributed to specific shows, as most every other photo in the book is. LA is skipped entirely.

Where was the quality control during what was a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity to get it right?

There's even a typo on page 184/185/186 (I forget which and I'm not opening my book for this). It says 'Start of 7th American Tour' twice. The second time should read 'End of 7th American Tour'

Did you get it?

Swedzep here. DHL came to my doorstep 15 minutes ago with my copy of THE BOOK!!!Copy number 738! Must say it was very well wrapped. Am now taking my time savorying just looking at it before looking more closely. Hope everybody's copy comes to you all soon.

Cheers!

Did you get it?

No, mine is #1067 so hopefully it will be shipped with the next batch. I'm keeping my fingers crossed for a delivery next week. :unsure:

Well I just spoke with Genesis on the phone and it seems my book isn't going to sent out to me until the last week of January. :( I know I'm lucky to have a copy coming, but the wait is becoming so frustrating now.

• 3 weeks later...

Funny thing happened yesterday evening. I regularly meet with friends to listen to music. There was a new guy, Sean Michaels, who happened to write this article:

My link

I know it's the same guy because the subject of me having bought the book came up and he told me he wrote this article about it.

After a bit of prodding, he admitted he would have liked to receive a preview copy...

Ha!

• 5 months later...

Sorry to dredge up an old thread, but just want to add my voice to the din BEGGING for a mass market hardback or softcover version of the book. Now that the die-hards and serious collectors have their editions in hand, how about something for the masses?

Book publishers typically do this with hardcover editions....a mass market paperback is made available some months later for a considerably lower cover price. I think most Zep fans would shell out $40-50 for a coffee-table size softcover edition.

Yes the photographic reproduction, paper, and binding won't be of nearly the same quality as the first edition, but most fans just want to be able to read it over and enjoy the photographs. Library-quality binding isn't all that important to John Q. Public.

Sadly, the book's cover price has invoked a bit of class warfare, even amongst Zeppelin fans, and that rubs me the wrong way.

If every Zeppelin fan can afford the albums, why shouldn't a 2nd edition of Jimmy's book be every bit as affordable?

If every Zeppelin fan can afford the albums, why shouldn't a 2nd edition of Jimmy's book be every bit as affordable?

Won't happen. Frankly, book buyers with Cadillac tastes and a Ford budget are of no concern to upscale booksellers.

Highly unlikely, though thanks to the private but tenacious legal maneuvering of my friend kenog the British Library in London proudly will. :drinks:

The National Library of Wales, Aberystwyth, always gets a copy of every book published delivered every week.:)

The National Library of Wales, Aberystwyth, always gets a copy of every book published delivered every week.:)

Dixe,

The National LIbrary of Wales is entitled to request a copy of JImmy's book. The only two of the six 'deposit' libraries in the UK who (in theory) automatically receive a copy of every book published in the UK are the British Library in London, and the Oxford Boodlean Library. Even with those two, the publisher can wait up until a year after the date of publication before depositing a book.

Many publishers send a copy of each book they publish to all six deposit libraries as a matter of course, rather than waiting for the library to request them.

If you go through the News Forum on this site at around about April/May, you will find that I had to fight for eight months to get Genesis Publications to deposit Jimmy's Book with the BL. Genesis would, as noted above, have had up to a year from the date of publication to deposit it. However, my contact at the British Library ( who did a magnificent job on my behalf) found, that out of all the books Genesis had published, they had only ever deposited six. Therefore, they were obliged to deposit as many as they had in stock, and, in fact, sent Jimmy's book on ahead. It has gone through the indexing process, as have the other volumes Genesis sent on, and is therefore available for you and others to access.

If you look up the British Library's website, you will find the details of the identification you would have to bring with you.

If you wish to have access to a copy at the National Library of Wales, I would urge you to ask the staff to request it for you from Genesis, because I can't see them sending one on without being chased up.

I have a lot of friends who I know personally at this Library, and when I was researching and working up there

I was told that they had every book that is published in a delivery every week, this is true, because a member of staff,

and indeed the secretary to the head of the Library told me. They had a lot of Led Zeppelin books there,and since Aberystwyth

has four thousand students, who use the Library I believe this to be true information.

I have a lot of friends who I know personally at this Library, and when I was researching and working up there

I was told that they had every book that is published in a delivery every week, this is true, because a member of staff,

and indeed the secretary to the head of the Library told me. They had a lot of Led Zeppelin books there,and since Aberystwyth

has four thousand students, who use the Library I believe this to be true information.

I have checked the Catalogue for the National Library of Wales, and they do indeed have a selection of LZ related books. However, if you take a look at the catalogue index, you will see that they do not hold a copy of 'Jimmy Page' by Jimmy Page, published by Genesis Publications. Take a look at their catalogue for yourself.

As I said in my post above, if you wish the NLOW to obtain a copy, as is their right under the Legal Deposit Act 2003, then you would have to get a member of staff at the National Library to request it from Genesis Publications. As I said in my reply to you above, many publishers automatically deposit a copy of their books, many others do not, and the libraries do not have the financial resources to chase them up.

Are those books limited edition like this one? I think that's the point more than whether it has to do with Zep.

Are those books limited edition like this one? I think that's the point more than whether it has to do with Zep.

Hi Ninelives :) ,

I went into this in quite a lot of detail when trying to get the book deposited at the British Library. According to the legislation, the Legal Deposit Act 2003, limited edition status did not give Genesis the right not to deposit, which is why I was able to pursue the matter. Nor in fact did the cost of the book exclude Genesis from depositing. They had been publishing for years without fulfilling their legal obligation - only 6 had been deposited when the BL checked. Presumably, they did not want to hand over such expensive books. It was only when I enquired about whether they intended depositing Jimmy's book, and they failed to answer my emails, that I took the matter further.:)

I have checked the Catalogue for the National Library of Wales, and they do indeed have a selection of LZ related books. However, if you take a look at the catalogue index, you will see that they do not hold a copy of 'Jimmy Page' by Jimmy Page, published by Genesis Publications. Take a look at their catalogue for yourself.

As I said in my post above, if you wish the NLOW to obtain a copy, as is their right under the Legal Deposit Act 2003, then you would have to get a member of staff at the National Library to request it from Genesis Publications. As I said in my reply to you above, many publishers automatically deposit a copy of their books, many others do not, and the libraries do not have the financial resources to chase them up.

I am not near there at this moment in time, but was in contact with a friend who works there a couple of weeks ago to congratulate her

on the arrival of her baby, but when I do speak or go down there for myself, I will look into this, I do know that there are a lot of oversea s

students,and also when i was up there people were always requesting Led Zeppelin books, unfortunately I had most of them to do my research,

for my book.

But I certainly will ask next time I am in contact.

thanks for the information.

I am not near there at this moment in time, but was in contact with a friend who works there a couple of weeks ago to congratulate her

on the arrival of her baby, but when I do speak or go down there for myself, I will look into this, I do know that there are a lot of oversea s

students,and also when i was up there people were always requesting Led Zeppelin books, unfortunately I had most of them to do my research,

for my book.

But I certainly will ask next time I am in contact.

thanks for the information.

Hi Dixe :)

I would strongly urge you when you are there to ask your contact at the NLOW to request the book from Genesis Publications. The details are on Genesis website. In theory, Genesis are not obliged to send a copy until a year after the publication date, which in this case would be September 2011. However, I should get my request in early if I were you while Genesis perhaps have a spare copy lying around.

If you did this, it would be great for Welsh and Black Country LZ fans to be able to access this hugely expensive book without having to pay for it.:D

Hi Dixe :)

I would strongly urge you when you are there to ask your contact at the NLOW to request the book from Genesis Publications. The details are on Genesis website. In theory, Genesis are not obliged to send a copy until a year after the publication date, which in this case would be September 2011. However, I should get my request in early if I were you while Genesis perhaps have a spare copy lying around.

If you did this, it would be great for Welsh and Black Country LZ fans to be able to access this hugely expensive book without having to pay for it.:D

Thank you I will try and give them a ring and speak to my friend over the next

few days if she is there,as she works in that department, thanks for the feedback.:)

Thank you I will try and give them a ring and speak to my friend over the next

few days if she is there,as she works in that department, thanks for the feedback.:)

FURTHER UPDATE i sent an e mail today.:)

Archived