Outrider (1988)

I bought Jimmy Page's only solo album to date yesterday at HMV for a cheap £6.

I definatley do not think Rolling Stone was fair by giving it 2 stars, in my opinon, it deserves at least a 4. I was very drawn in by the riffs in the songs. My only criticism is that it sounds a little "demo" like, but it's still a good listen.

What does everyone else make of it?

I definatley do not think Rolling Stone was fair by giving it 2 stars, in my opinon, it deserves at least a 4. I was very drawn in by the riffs in the songs. My only criticism is that it sounds a little "demo" like, but it's still a good listen.

Hello ALS!

We would need a new thread in regards to my opinion of the media and Rolling Stone. I love this album. It's so overlooked IMHO...just like JPJ's Thunderthief. These men are brilliant musicians, so anything pre/post LZ is still great music to me.

I can't believe you got this for the cost you did!! Great find :thumbsup:

Here's an exceptional cover of Hummingbird:

Hummingbird & Prison Blues are the highlights. John Miles seems to catch a lot of flack on these boards but his vocals were a perfect match for those two songs. Jimmy chose the first take of Prison Blues for the album. He just nailed it.

I've got a weasel in my pocket too. cool.gif

Hello ALS!

We would need a new thread in regards to my opinion of the media and Rolling Stone. I love this album. It's so overlooked IMHO...just like JPJ's Thunderthief. These men are brilliant musicians, so anything pre/post LZ is still great music to me.

I can't believe you got this for the cost you did!! Great find :thumbsup:

I hate Rolling Stone mag. They'll give some rap or pop album four stars without a blink of the eye yet criticize the shit out of a rock one (unless it's but their faves U2, Bruce, Bob Dylan, or the Beatles). The worst part is everyone acts like RS is the end all say all (except for the smart people on this site B) ). F RS!!!

P.S. I love Outrider and found both the album and tour very underrated by people. Would have been nice to hear the double album Jimmy planned till that bitch stole all the tapes.

Is there a website for this place?

in HMV, things are either really cheap or really expensive. One week Led Zep II was £24! and the week after that it was £4. Pink Floyd's The Wall was £36, and this week it is £9.

In that shop, you just have to cheap your eye on it and wait for it to go down.

And in reponse to your question, yes there is, but it's fixed prices....sky high.

Great to see someone appreciating this fine album. The first side has some really good tracks and is the more rock side, and side two is just sweet! Hummingbird is exceptional, Emerald Eyes is wonderful, the bloozy Prison Blues is right on target and the finale, Blues Anthem is personal favorite.

I really liked the live version of Blues Anthem - a mini acoustic set, if you will. The tour for Outrider was a phenomenal show and I feel sorry for anyone who missed it. John Miles was great on the tour as the voice but he also added some keyboards and I felt he did a great job covering Plant/Rodgers.

Outrider was a fine effort and a wonderful tour!

Hummingbird & Prison Blues are the highlights. John Miles seems to catch a lot of flack on these boards but his vocals were a perfect match for those two songs. Jimmy chose the first take of Prison Blues for the album. He just nailed it.

It's Chris Farlowe on those two tracks.

I hate Rolling Stone mag. They'll give some rap or pop album four stars without a blink of the eye yet criticize the shit out of a rock one (unless it's but their faves U2, Bruce, Bob Dylan, or the Beatles). The worst part is everyone acts like RS is the end all say all (except for the smart people on this site B) ). F RS!!!

Agreed:

"So it is that "Dancing Days," "The Rain Song" and "No Quarter" fall flat on their respective faces -- the first is filler while the latter two are nothing more than drawn-out vehicles for the further display of Jones' unknowledgeable use of mellotron and synthesizer."
Edited by MarmaladeSkies

That's my video!

ha ha glad someone is enjoying it!

BC

I agree. John Miles did a great job for those two songs (and with the live performance from 1998 (from this thread of the live (Zeppelin "IMTOD" as well as the Outrider songs).

He's done a lot of recording on his own.

JP ought to bring him back out live when he plays in China (and include Guy Pratt and Jason ,too_.

Just my two cents worth.

R:)

Edited by reids

P.S. I love Outrider and found both the album and tour very underrated by people. Would have been nice to hear the double album Jimmy planned till that bitch stole all the tapes.

So do I. They're Zep haters. Outrider is very underrated and seems to be forgotten by a lot of people. I have the vinyl and I have an Outrider poster on my closet door. B):D

Another one to keep this thread alive. :notworthy:

Anyone have any memories of seeing this besides those who have kindly posted already?

Jimmy Page Outrider Tour - Stairway To Heaven

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rBtxhRnM2rM

Edit: better video

Saw the show around Albany, NY. Maybe Glens Falls?

It was oh so good to see Jimmy again after the Firm which was my first time seeing Jimmy live. I was very close to the front so I could really see Jimmy play. Over the Hills was a blast into the past. Just incredible how good he sounded. Seemed he was partying it up before and during the show-that's Jimmy.

When he started Stairway it was like the noise stopped, the crowd stopped cheering and everyone was just silent and listening. It's very rare to get that at a rock and roll concert butit seemed everyone was just in awe... Or maybe it was just me blocking out all the noise so I could hear the greatest song ever.

I wish I could remember more, but those were the drinking days. The one thing I can never forget is how friggin hard it rained out. Driving home we actually had to pull the car over for about twenty minutes as you could not even see with the wipers on high.

overall a great album and tour.

I love the Outrider album. I have it on CD, vynil and the 'lunchbox' --- I also love the Death Wish II soundtrack, which you could also say is a solo album, that is mentioned even less, on both CD and vynil. I listen to them both often.

I have really liked the OUTRIDER album since it came out. It is still an album I listen to regularly to this day.

Other Jimmy albums...I must be the only one who raves about the Cocerdale/Page album...again, I love it.

The two FIRM albums, although I like them, I think they havent faired well with the passing of time.

I havent heard the DEATH WISH OST or THUNDERCHIEF by JPJ...worth checking out by all accounts.

Anyway, after all that, I would be lost without any of my Zeppelin and post music.

I have really liked the OUTRIDER album since it came out. It is still an album I listen to regularly to this day.

Other Jimmy albums...I must be the only one who raves about the Cocerdale/Page album...again, I love it.

The two FIRM albums, although I like them, I think they havent faired well with the passing of time.

I havent heard the DEATH WISH OST or THUNDERCHIEF by JPJ...worth checking out by all accounts.

Anyway, after all that, I would be lost without any of my Zeppelin and post music.

I love the C/P album as well. I love the Firm album and a couple of the songs off of the second. I am not familar with Jonsey's solo work, though TCV is very enjoyable

Edited by aen27

Anyone who has any semblance of taste and rhythm would almost have to love Outrider. I can't hardly pick a highlight. The entire album is wonderfully crafted. He draws from diverse pools of influence (of course). I personally feel Jimmy was instrumental (no pun intended) in keeping good music afloat in the early '80s. Rolling Stone are a bunch of stiff snobs. I personally don't care for them or anything they stand for.

post-9067-126437609173.jpeg