Outrider (1988)

I think I was more into Joe Satriani at the time of Outrider, which didn't knock me out instrumentally. It felt like something was missing. No offense to anyone here, but it was a little flat somehow for me. I think Coverdale Page and the Firm were more my cup of tea. Page kicked butt on those albums. I've been waiting for Page to come up with a follow up album but one can only surmise that the fire is gone??

Here's an exceptional cover of Hummingbird:

Hummingbird & Prison Blues are the highlights. John Miles seems to catch a lot of flack on these boards but his vocals were a perfect match for those two songs. Jimmy chose the first take of Prison Blues for the album. He just nailed it.

I've got a weasel in my pocket too. cool.gif

Like Kaiser said, its Chris Farlowe who sang those tracks on the album.

My link

Chris Farlowe for the album, John Miles for the tour. I should have been more clear, especially as I was attempting to compliment Farlowe.

I'm aware Miles was on the tour, which I saw several times, but your reference to Jimmy using the first take made it pretty clear you were talking about the album.

Yeah Farlowe deserves compliments. He's an odd sort but I love that kind of difference. JOhn Miles is great too.

I'm aware Miles was on the tour, which I saw several times, but your reference to Jimmy using the first take made it pretty clear you were talking about the album.

Yeah Farlowe deserves compliments. He's an odd sort but I love that kind of difference. John Miles is great too.

Yes, I was referring to the album but also addressing the criticism I have seen of the live vocals. I'd been awake for a couple days at that point and it just came out wrong. Was not inferring you didn't see the tour, I know you did. Glad

you also appreciate the uniqueness of both vocalists.

Yes, I was referring to the album but also addressing the criticism I have seen of the live vocals. I'd been awake for a couple days at that point and it just came out wrong. Was not inferring you didn't see the tour, I know you did. Glad

you also appreciate the uniqueness of both vocalists.

Gotta be honest I think they suffered for their lack of glamour in the eyes of many ;)

• 2 weeks later...

Jimmy Page- Who's To Blame - Recorded Live in New York, October 22, 1988

Jimmy Page - Guitar Jason Bonham - Drums John Miles - Vocals Durban Laverde - Bass

Need Video...!!!Anyone have any??

http://www.youtube.c...h?v=gbrOMgDaGUE

Yeah! - I'd love to see video of Jimmy's New York (actually Long Island, at the Nassau Coliseum) Outrider show too- especially since I was there, but with terrible seats.

But I think the date is wrong though- I just went & found my ticket stub and it says October 28 not October 22.

Hopefully Steve A. Jones is reading this & can clarify.

But I think the date is wrong though- I just went & found my ticket stub and it says October 28 not October 22.

Hopefully Steve A. Jones is reading this & can clarify.

Uniondale, NY was 10/28, Detroit 10/22 (I was there!). I have Atlanta, Mesa, Detroit, Uniondale, & Syracuse on video in my archive. I believe audio recordings for every show from the tour except El Paso (9/16/88) are now in circulation.

Uniondale, NY was 10/28, Detroit 10/22 (I was there!). I have Atlanta, Mesa, Detroit, Uniondale, & Syracuse on video in my archive. I believe audio recordings for every show from the tour except El Paso (9/16/88) are now in circulation.

Does anyone have the Kansas City show from this tour? Date was 14 October at The Memorial Hall. I have a plethora of stuff for trade.

I think I was more into Joe Satriani at the time of Outrider, which didn't knock me out instrumentally. It felt like something was missing. No offense to anyone here, but it was a little flat somehow for me. I think Coverdale Page and the Firm were more my cup of tea. Page kicked butt on those albums. I've been waiting for Page to come up with a follow up album but one can only surmise that the fire is gone??

No offense, but thorough disagreement. Page did a brilliant job with his solo album. He can do no less.

• 2 weeks later...

This album has definitely grown on me. Emerald Eyes and Prison Blues are excellent Page compositions. I dig The Only One, but I feel Page's solo hurts the song...ie..it could have been better.

I do agree with the post on page 1, the "demo" quality or feel of the album does hurt it a bit, but it's still a great listen.

Hello...I was at Jimmy's Outrider show in Detroit..one of my first concerts. Great show, set, everything. I was about ten rows from center stage, it was festival seating - no chairs.

I remember the opening act Rock City Angels getting booed, flipping off the crowd, trashing their gear and storming off early. They had a couple of ZZ Top type groove based tunes.

Not sure what song Page started with (I need to look up the setlist), but the crowd went nuts, I remember my arms pinned to my sides and swaying with the crowd - scary feeling for sure!

Jimmy's solo with the lasers was a highlight, never seen anything like it at the time. I remember Jason's solo with the Octopad outfront. I was impressed that Jason played his Dad's fills in Stairway just like TSRTS. I also remember really digging Midnight Moonlight. John Miles sounded great! To see Jimmy live was incredible! Sorry I don't remember more of the show.

-Eric

Edited by elfinjones

Not sure what song Page started with (I need to look up the setlist), but the crowd went nuts, I remember my arms pinned to my sides and swaying with the crowd - scary feeling for sure!

-Eric

He opened with Who's To Blame. I could dig up the whole set-list, but I know that the first three songs were Who's To Blame - Prelude - Over The Hills. Funny that you were at the Detroit show. Somewhere around here I have a video of that gig. Please don't ask me to look for it... it's in a box of old VHS tapes in storage. LOL

Hello...I was at Jimmy's Outrider show in Detroit..one of my first concerts. Great show, set, everything. I was about ten rows from center stage, it was festival seating - no chairs.

I remember the opening act Rock City Angels getting booed, flipping off the crowd, trashing their gear and storming off early. They had a couple of ZZ Top type groove based tunes.

Jimmy's solo with the lasers was a highlight, never seen anything like it at the time. I remember Jason's solo with the Octopad outfront. I was impressed that Jason played his Dad's fills in Stairway just like TSRTS. I also remember really digging Midnight Moonlight. John Miles sounded great! To see Jimmy live was incredible! Sorry I don't remember more of the show.

-Eric

Hi Eric!

Thanks for responding and sharing the story! Did you take any photo's?:D

Hi Eric!

Thanks for responding and sharing the story! Did you take any photo's?:D

Sorry, Deborah, no photos. I wish though! It's still quite a vivid memory - the laser pyramid and all. I still have the t-shirt, Jimmy in his SS outfit - no tour dates on the back just the image of Jimmy on the front.

Eric