Outrider (1988)

Sorry, Deborah, no photos. I wish though! It's still quite a vivid memory - the laser pyramid and all. I still have the t-shirt, Jimmy in his SS outfit - no tour dates on the back just the image of Jimmy on the front.

Eric

Eric and Walter...jealous of you both (in a good way :P )

I have a different shirt from the Outrider tour: mine says Jimmy Page Outrider The Tour & has a pic of him holding a Les Paul (which looks yellow) and 2 smaller pics of him on each side, one with a blue tint and the other with a red tint. No tour dates on either the front or back (nothing on the back at all actually).

Since Chris Farlow did vocals on : Hummingbird, Prison Blues, Blues Anthem on Outrider....this guy can sing the blues. If you don't have a few in your collection and love the blues....:yesnod:

Chris Farlowe (Little Joe Cook) - Stormy Monday Blues

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FQ56INueoac

Chris Farlowe: the story of Stormy Monday Blues

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5YyDT61VzwY

Edited by Deborah J

Since Chris Farlow did vocals on : Hummingbird, Prison Blues, Blues Anthem on Outrider....this guy can sing the blues. If you don't have a few in your collection and love the blues....:yesnod:

Chris Farlowe (Little Joe Cook) - Stormy Monday Blues

http://www.youtube.c...h?v=FQ56INueoac

Chris Farlowe: the story of Stormy Monday Blues

http://www.youtube.c...h?v=5YyDT61VzwY

I could have sworn this guy was black. That's meant as a compliment.

I could have sworn this guy was black. That's meant as a compliment.

The man can sing the blues...a little off topic here, but here are a few more...you have to get some of his albums!!

Chris Farlowe - Satisfaction ( The Rolling Stones )

Ride on Baby - Chris Farlowe

Edited by Deborah J

• 2 months later...

While cleaning out stuff in the closet I came across this review of the show on 10/28/88 at the Nassau Coliseum: (from Newsday, by Stephen Williams)

Page Stealing From Himself

Nobody rips off Led Zeppelin, like Led Zeppelin.

But sometimes the parts do not equal the sum. Robert Plant and Jimmy Page have gone their separate ways for eight years now. Yet in solo performance, each has shown that he is inexorably rooted- shackled, perhaps- to the monster band that made him famous.

Page, the guitar man's guitar man, is probably more of an anachronism.

Emerging from purple haze onto the stage at the Coliseum, cigarette dangling from the corner of his mouth, the fuzzy-haired axeman took a gracious bow before kicking into some liquid Gibson riffs.

The ghost of Zeppelin certainly haunts Page, but before he had taken the time to present a new profile, up jumped "Over the Hills and Far Away", and Page had pushed the crowd's first Led Zep button.

It's a given that no one can play those swaggering licks the way that Page can. He originated and refined a guitar style that dozens of imitators have tried to exploit, most unsuccessfully. So why shouldn't Page himself capitalize on Zep's lasting aura?

No reason, but the disappointment lies in that Page has got nothing new to say. With his back arched in a classic macho rock posture and his face dripping sweat like a leaky faucet, Page can quite adequately cover his historical highlights, as far back as his Yardbird days about 20 years ago.

But as he rattled through a two-hour set that thrashed and thundered, Page rarely transcended the cliches that he created. Dogged by the sloppy, showboat drumming of Jason Bonham and the inadequate vocals of John Miles, Page got bogged down in the ball and chain of his own past. Even the selections from "Outrider", Page's first solo album released earlier this year, turned into a kind of rock chopped liver. One of the most embarrassing moments was Page's play-the-electric-guitar-with-the-violin trick, a device that didn't work in the 60's. And his material from his days with The Firm- which at least boasted a fine singer in Paul Rodgers- are best deleted. There were moments of brilliant, virtuoso musicianship, though a languid, bluesy instrumental solo early in the set: an exotic, pyramiding run through an Eastern-flavored number, an an oozing slide-guitar version of Zep's "In My Time of Dying".

Page never hurried himself- despite a bout with the flu earlier in the week, Page had apparently shaken off any ill effects. His humble, nearly deferential manner won over the softies in the Coliseum crowd (what there was of it- the hall was half-empty) and the Zeppelin material electrified the hard-core contingent. The rest of us waited to hear and see some flashes of a guitar player that wasn't just aother Jimmy Page clone. He never arrived.

also found my notes from the show- he played from 8:50- 10:55 PM

setlist: (not sure if this is exactly in order)

Who's To Blame

Prelude

Wanna Make Love

Writes of Winter

Over the Hills and Far Away

Emerald Eyes

Tear Down the Walls

Midnight Moonlight

White Summer/Black Mountain Side

Prison Blues

In My Time of Dying

Custard Pie

The Chase/Dazed & Confused

City Sirens/Bonzo's Montreaux (?)

Someone to Love

Blues Anthem

Wasting My Time

Train Kept A- Rolling (encore)

Stairway to Heaven (encore)

I have audience cassette tapes of shows in New Haven, Maryland, Syracuse and Albany from the tour that I attended. No photos, no video, only audience audio. I also was at the Philly show

• 1 year later...

in HMV, things are either really cheap or really expensive. One week Led Zep II was £24! and the week after that it was £4. Pink Floyd's The Wall was £36, and this week it is £9.

In that shop, you just have to cheap your eye on it and wait for it to go down.

And in reponse to your question, yes there is, but it's fixed prices....sky high.

Physical graffiti was 40 over here in Ireland in HMV.

I bought it and the next week my friend gets it for 7 euro at the same place .

Physical graffiti was 40 over here in Ireland in HMV.

I bought it and the next week my friend gets it for 7 euro at the same place .

Go figure? Might depend, how many they have in stock and what they're trying to push on a particular week.

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Counting up all the times I've seen Led Zeppelin and Robert, Jimmy and JPJ individually or in tandem, it comes close to 60. So just about every couple of days seems to bring about another anniversary of some show. But I'm not always available to mark it with a few words of tribute.

Today however marks a crucial event, in my opinion, in my ever-evolving regard for one Mister James Patrick Page.

You see, the 80s for fans of Jimmy Page was a virtual rollercoaster of a decade. Good moments would be followed by atrocious ones, so that no real momentum could be built up. You never knew which Jimmy would show up...guitar-hero Jimmy or train-wreck Jimmy.

1988 was almost the straw that broke this Jimmy Page fan's back. Specifically the Atlantic Records 40th Anniversary concert. I literally spent most of that performance watching with my mouth agape...not in awe, but in horror. What the hell was going on? Where was the power and fury of the Zeppelin of my youth? Did I dream those long-ago concerts? Was it all a mirage?

I had spent a good part of the 80s telling my younger friends about how great Led Zeppelin was, and the amazing concerts they performed. Now, for the second time in the 80s, I had to cringe as my friends would stare at me in disbelief and immediately pronounce Zeppelin as overrated.

Forget about trying to convince them about Zeppelin's superiority to Black Sabbath, Metallica and the Who...after the Atlantic 40th, one would have trouble convincing anyone Zeppelin was heavier than Madonna.

I was discouraged beyond belief, and despaired of Jimmy ever getting his shit together again. Live Aid I could excuse, I could rationalize...no rehearsal time, unfamiliar drummers, one who flew across an ocean and was probably jet-lagged. But the Atlantic 40th...sheesh.

So when the Outrider album and tour was announced, I swore that this would be it...I would give Jimmy one last shot to prove me wrong.

Admittedly, tthe album was hit-and-miss with me. I find that, with the exception of Mr. Plant, the vocals are exceedingly dull and derivative. There's a couple cliched blues-rock clunkers, but the good stuff was tantalizing enough to have hope for Jimmy's future.

Still, the true test would be in concert, so it was equal mix of trepidation and guarded optimism that I bought tickets for the Oct. 7, 1988 LA Forum show when they went on sale Sunday August 28, 1988. My seats sucked...in the colonnade section, but I was in the building.

I cannot remember if there was an opening act or not. All I know is that all my worries, all the butterflies I had in my gut, disappeared once Jimmy came on stage and the concert got underway. It wasn't perfect...John Miles, yuck!

But the main question I wanted answered- could Jimmy still play guitar?-was answered in the affirmative. The Chopin Prelude and Over the Hills and Far Away and Emerald Eyes were all great, but the true highlight for me...the point of the show where I got goosebumps was the back-to-back Midnight Moonlight/ In My Time of Dying section. That's when Jimmy really showed some of the old fire, the "hammer of the gods".

Stairway was done as an instrumental...thank god, as I didn't want John Miles anywhere near that song. Bics were lit in tribute...just like in the old days.

Best of all, the concert erased the bitter taste of the Atlantic 40th, and I could have high hopes again for the future Jimmy Page. Which the 90s would reward, to varying degrees.

Oh, one other note about the Oct. 7 concert...from my colonnade seats high up, I could see the beginnings of Jimmy's bald spot.

• 2 weeks later...

I remember the 40th Atlantic reunion and although I was thrilled to see the guys on stage again, like you I simply couldnt believe how flat it all came across.

So much so that I shuddred at the thought of them recording new music (I still would have sold my soul to see em live either way lol) The reason being is that Zeppelin almost always managed to capture the power of their live performances in the studeo, and if the 40th Atlantic performance was any indication of the energy they would capture for a new recording effort, it would have made for one hell of a slogging album.

On the flip side I have got to see and listen to the Outrider tour and what a big contrast! For the most part Jimmy sounded fantastic and often shredded the guitar. I really cant figure out how he could put out such two different performances.

Edited by SuperStatic

• 1 month later...

My first concert was Jimmy Page at the Municipal Auditorium , New Orleans - September 24th 1988. I was a month before turning 15. I went with a guy who turned me on to music in general (I wrote a thread about it called - Why I Love Zeppelin). It was a great show. The venue was far from packed, but everyone there seemed to be a die hard Zep fan. I can't really recall if it was heavily advertised on local radio. I still rememer the concert itself very clear.There was a guy named Mason Ruffner that opened up. A three piece band with a flashy guitar player. They were good too. I saw loads of kids from school who were Zep freaks like myself. A few made signs out of sheets with the ZOSO symbol drawn on them. Every time Page went to one side of the stage , they held up the signs. It was a great time for me. I have a really good cassette recording of the entire show. Think I'll go listen to it for old time sake.

My first concert was Jimmy Page at the Municipal Auditorium , New Orleans - September 24th 1988. I was a month before turning 15. I went with a guy who turned me on to music in general (I wrote a thread about it called - Why I Love Zeppelin). It was a great show. The venue was far from packed, but everyone there seemed to be a die hard Zep fan. I can't really recall if it was heavily advertised on local radio. I still rememer the concert itself very clear.There was a guy named Mason Ruffner that opened up. A three piece band with a flashy guitar player. They were good too. I saw loads of kids from school who were Zep freaks like myself. A few made signs out of sheets with the ZOSO symbol drawn on them. Every time Page went to one side of the stage , they held up the signs. It was a great time for me. I have a really good cassette recording of the entire show. Think I'll go listen to it for old time sake.

IMO The Outer Rider tour was some of Pages best live performances since Led Zeppelin. The album itself was a sharp contrast though. But in all fairness from my understanding Jimmy had planned to do a double album but for some reason the material was "lost" and what Outrider turned out to be was little more than a fancy, stripped demo version by Jimmys own admision.

I remember a few years back I came across a video that claimed it was one of the lost tracks from outrider. Im not sure if it was but it did sound like Jimmy on guitars and VOCALS as well! I must admit it sounded great, something that would fit well with P.G. But I'll be damned if I can find it again.

IMO The Outer Rider tour was some of Pages best live performances since Led Zeppelin. The album itself was a sharp contrast though. But in all fairness from my understanding Jimmy had planned to do a double album but for some reason the material was "lost" and what Outrider turned out to be was little more than a fancy, stripped demo version by Jimmys own admision.

I remember a few years back I came across a video that claimed it was one of the lost tracks from outrider. Im not sure if it was but it did sound like Jimmy on guitars and VOCALS as well! I must admit it sounded great, something that would fit well with P.G. But I'll be damned if I can find it again.

Wow, I'd really like to hear that. On vocals too??? interesting. I know he did his own vocals for his single back in 66' but I don't think you would have gotten that confused with something from the Outrider era. I tell you what, this recording I have from the show I saw from that tour is a good one. His playing is raw and his tone was nasty and powerful. The drum solo that Jason B. did was kinda cheezy though. He'd play a few licks on his electronic pads and it would play it back for him. It got kind of rediculous...guess you had to be there. He was basically just beginning to be in the Rock Star limelight at this time, only having been playing in public for a few years prior. Besides the solo, he played wonderful. He did well enough for Mr. Page and that says alot. I'd hope to hear some unreleased tracks from that album if any exist. I really liked it. As a matter of fact, I have the Rockline broadcast he did about a month before the show in New Orleans. I remember staying up very late, even though I had school the next day, just to record it. That was common for me back then. I was obsessed with his music.