Outrider (1988)

Wow, I'd really like to hear that. On vocals too??? interesting. I know he did his own vocals for his single back in 66' but I don't think you would have gotten that confused with something from the Outrider era. I tell you what, this recording I have from the show I saw from that tour is a good one. His playing is raw and his tone was nasty and powerful. The drum solo that Jason B. did was kinda cheezy though. He'd play a few licks on his electronic pads and it would play it back for him. It got kind of rediculous...guess you had to be there. He was basically just beginning to be in the Rock Star limelight at this time, only having been playing in public for a few years prior. Besides the solo, he played wonderful. He did well enough for Mr. Page and that says alot. I'd hope to hear some unreleased tracks from that album if any exist. I really liked it. As a matter of fact, I have the Rockline broadcast he did about a month before the show in New Orleans. I remember staying up very late, even though I had school the next day, just to record it. That was common for me back then. I was obsessed with his music.

Yeah I know what song from 1966 your talking about, "She keeps me satisfied" or something, and thats why this supposed lost Outrider song made me think because the singing did sound similar to how Jimmy sounded on that 1966 track. Dunno, it could be bogus of course, if I ever manage to find it again I'll try and post a link.

Cool deal about the Rockline broadcast! I used to do the same thing, I was a teen in the 80's to and RL would come on after 11 pm (or maybe midnight) here. Would never miss it for though.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

In reading all of the posts to this subject, I'm stunned that no one seems to question the post-release comments made by Page regarding this effort. Namely, "I suppose it was a bit of a glorified demo". In fact, people have echoed the same statement. Now, I ask...Page has never, EVER made such a comment regarding any Zeppelin studio release??? (not counting his semi-defensive, self serving comments regarding TSRS soundtrack). Why would he release something 'sub-standard'? Moreover...if this was supposed to be a double album...THIS was the best of the lot?????

Consider:

He was the sole musical 'creator' on this album.

He owned the studio in which it was recorded.

He produced the album.

He chose the vocalists.

In reading all of the posts to this subject, I'm stunned that no one seems to question the post-release comments made by Page regarding this effort. Namely, "I suppose it was a bit of a glorified demo". In fact, people have echoed the same statement. Now, I ask...Page has never, EVER made such a comment regarding any Zeppelin studio release??? (not counting his semi-defensive, self serving comments regarding TSRS soundtrack). Why would he release something 'sub-standard'? Moreover...if this was supposed to be a double album...THIS was the best of the lot?????

Consider:

He was the sole musical 'creator' on this album.

He owned the studio in which it was recorded.

He produced the album.

He chose the vocalists.

Hey Keithg, welcome to the forum. Interesting first post for you.

Getting to the subject, what are you trying to imply here?

If Page is quoted as saying that (from a reliable source) - then he said it........so I don't get the fuss. Also, the album is what it is, even if you feel it was sub-standard-it's been released for over two decades now (no changing it's content or lack of double album material) so what's the problem(s)?

Edited by Rock Historian

Hey Keithg, welcome to the forum. Interesting first post for you.

Getting to the subject, what are you trying to imply here?

If Page is quoted as saying that- then he said it........ Also, the album is what it is, even if you feel it was sub-standard-it's been released for over two decades now (no changing it's content or lack of double album material) so what's the problem(s)?

Hi Bud,

Not so much a problem...my point is that several people posted somewhat 'in-defense of' type posts regarding the material on the album...so I'm just raising the question of why he would have released the album if it was a 'glorified demo' as he stated AND if somehow the theft of the (masters?) on what was originally a double-album, what does it say to the tracks that were left-off.

P.S. I was 13 when Outrider was released so I had to take about 4 buses then hump it another mile to get the album and I'm still holding a grudge for the risk/reward factor of the album :)

Hi Bud,

Not so much a problem...my point is that several people posted somewhat 'in-defense of' type posts regarding the material on the album...so I'm just raising the question of why he would have released the album if it was a 'glorified demo' as he stated AND if somehow the theft of the (masters?) on what was originally a double-album, what does it say to the tracks that were left-off.

P.S. I was 13 when Outrider was released so I had to take about 4 buses then hump it another mile to get the album and I'm still holding a grudge for the risk/reward factor of the album :)

Well, i think you've held a grudge for a for a long long time, i might add. I'm sorry you feel that way about the album as you sound dissappointed about it, but in a nutshell-his comments on it (whatever he may have said - from a reliable source) and the content on the album won't change-it is what it is-even if it's not your personal cup of tea, and life goes on. The beauty of it is, you get to decide if you like it or not and nobody can change that...However-the grudge thing seems a little much. Take Care

P.S. I rode my bike to the nearest music store (I was 15) that was about 8 miles from home. I enjoyed my risk/reward end result.........

Personally, I thought it was a very good album. One thing we have to remember about Jimmy is that he alway's gives us what he has,at the time he gives it. Think that makes sense :unsure: . A true and honest reflection from a man that even in 1988, owed us nothing

I always thought the album started out very generic but got better as it went along. I didn't care for the singer on the first two tracks but Percy and Chris Farlowe more than made up for that. The instrumental tracks were also very very good.

I think all in all the album has held up relatively well over the years.

I always thought the album started out very generic but got better as it went along. I didn't care for the singer on the first two tracks but Percy and Chris Farlowe more than made up for that. The instrumental tracks were also very very good.

I think all in all the album has held up relatively well over the years.

I think it's held up too. TBH, if he was to throw out an album now that was set up along much the same lines and had improved vocals, I'd be more than happy.

• 3 weeks later...

I like Outrider quite a bit. It has some great Page moments and some fine playing. I'll tell ya, I saw his show on the Outrider tour in Worcester, MA 10/29/88 (with Plant wearing a Celtics cap in the audience) and his guitar playing was incredibly good. Better than some of the 1975 shows and certainly more fluid and dynamic than most of 1977 on. He was really amazing!!

• 11 months later...

I had that same shirt, bought at the Tampa show it saw. Shrunk too small and got tossed. Wish I had kept it in a box or something at least. I've seen people make quilts or tapestries out of their old concert shirts....B)

Edited by Walter

that was the shirt I wore whilst doing yard work and repairing the cars... the wife tossed it after a while. I had to put my Knebworth tshirts in a lock box so they didn't suffer the same fate. I had worn them 9 years before we met and the yellow one is so thin you could read a newspaper through it.

Thanks for posting. I was at this show also, and still have my stub. The abuse of the warm-up band was something I'll never forget. I was carrying two beers down the aisle when the shit started to fly. When the lead singer mouthed off to the crowd, I knew it was over for them. Kinda harsh, but I thought it was well deserved. You don't throw middle-of-the-road Texas boogie before Jimmy Page at a Detroit show. That's a tough road.

Thanks for posting. I was at this show also, and still have my stub. The abuse of the warm-up band was something I'll never forget. I was carrying two beers down the aisle when the shit started to fly. When the lead singer mouthed off to the crowd, I knew it was over for them. Kinda harsh, but I thought it was well deserved. You don't throw middle-of-the-road Texas boogie before Jimmy Page at a Detroit show. That's a tough road.

I too attended the Detroit show. I'm pleased to report I still have my stub, the program, the shirts and the complete show on video, but most importantly the memories.

I do wish I'd taken a photo of the tour bus after it pulled into a lot near the Joe Louis Arena. As I recall it was quite remarkable, with a guitar painted on the back. Durban Laverde exited first, followed by John Miles. Several moments later Jimmy sauntered down the steps like a gunslinger, followed by Jason, who was clutching a drink in his hand. They walked into the arena together. Jimmy had been battling with the flu, but commented from the stage that he was sweating it all out.

The fans seemed exhilerated before, during and after the show, a two-hour showcase of Page's showmanship.

The opening act was Rock City Angels, and they were lucky indeed to get out of there alive. Jimmy liked them but their 40 minute set just did not go over well at all in Detroit Rock City, who were there for him and nobody else.

Edited by SteveAJones

There's a good video of the Detroit show. I still watch it on occasion. I caught the tour in Chicago, and was so thrilled with it I tried hard to get to the Detroit show, too. Couldn't make it. What a great time that was for die-hard Jimmy fans! People thought maybe he couldn't play anymore, so it was mainly the die-hards who caught the Outrider tour...and man, we saw him really rip it up, with shows that had such a great atmosphere. I posted a kind of gushing, detailed account of my experience in Chicago under a thread called The Outrider Tour, for anyone who's interested.

There's a good video of the Detroit show. I still watch it on occasion. I caught the tour in Chicago, and was so thrilled with it I tried hard to get to the Detroit show, too. Couldn't make it. What a great time that was for die-hard Jimmy fans! People thought maybe he couldn't play anymore, so it was mainly the die-hards who caught the Outrider tour...and man, we saw him really rip it up, with shows that had such a great atmosphere. I posted a kind of gushing, detailed account of my experience in Chicago under a thread called The Outrider Tour, for anyone who's interested.

Yeah he was terrific in Detroit, inspiring! I keep hearing about the Detroit show video, I know this isn't the place, but can anyone point me in the right direction of where to find it? I've been looking for a while - thanks!

--Eric

^^^ I think I found mine at a...what do you call those things, I'm foggy today...a record swap meet. Boy that phrase sure looks funny today. But you know what I mean - they'll hold them every month or so in hotel convention rooms or places like that...people wandering from table to table collecting rare 45s and posters and all kinds of stuff...and there's usually at least two tables of dudes peddling bootleg stuff. The Detroit show might be kind of rare now, but hey, you find all kinds of rare things at these swap meets! You can look for dates in the local entertainment mags. I'm sure Detroit has these things.

^^^ That's right - Record Convention! I was a little off yesterday. I'm not surprised that the traditional Record Convention is fading, but you might want to try a Guitar Show if they come around. Same kind of set up basically - huge room in a hotel or something similar...various vendors at tables with like, 10,000 guitars...but the ones I've gone to always seem to have a table or two where guys are selling bootlegs. It seems vaguely out of place, but I'm always happy to see them. Anyway, these guitar shows are alive and kickin' on a national level. And I seem to remember you're from New Orleans or around there. I'm sure they have them there.