Outrider (1988)

5 minutes ago, John M said:

The first thing I thought was man I am getting old !  I was 29 and the crowd was mostly younger.  The enthusiasm for Page was off the charts.  The crowd was really into it.  When I saw Zeppelin the crowd was crazy of course (1977) but there was some element of the crowd then who were there just because Zep was such a big deal - hipster fans as I thought of them back then.  They would cheer at certain points but for them part of the experience was being there and being seen.  So not utterly into Zep.  This crowd was different.  It seemed everyone there was completely into Page and Zeppelin.   The crowd in 1988 was much more into it than the two Firm shows I had seen a few years earlier.  Sure the crowd initially went wild for Page at the Firm shows, but it simmered down.  In 1988 the crowd  was really into everything he did, or at least it seemed that way to me.  But then again memory is a funny thing. 

Very cool - thank you for sharing. I suppose it would make sense they were more rabid at the Outrider show vs Firm because everyone was hyped to be hearing him play Zep stuff again? And there was also word-of-mouth buzz that his playing was improved in 88 vs his time with the Firm.

Your memories match up with my own experience when I saw him in Oakland (10-11). I was 17 at the time and definitely losing my shit. There were a huge number of high school and college-age kids there for sure.

On 8/16/2023 at 11:45 AM, 1975NQ said:

Hey Steve,

LZ Boots recently posted a show on YouTube for the Outrider tour - November 24th (day 1), London, Hammersmith Odeon. The source/tape was provided through Susan Hedrick, an extremely reliable source whom you yourself have known many years. However, there are some other Outrider shows on YouTube that are much older of the same show, and both of those posts claim the show is from November 25th (day 2).

If memory serves, you were at these shows, and I'm sure have copies of both shows/boots. So, my question to you is - which show is this? The 24th or the 25th? One quick way to differentiate is to listen to John Miles' pre-song chatter with the audience before "Prison Blues". Here's a link to the show in question:

https://youtu.be/SmBhXd5GGnY

Thanks in advance for any light you can shed here. 

UPDATE: nvm, please disregard. After doing some digging, I worked out that the show in question is absolutely the 24th (Day 1). There are some sources floating around out there for the 25th (Day 2) that have sections of the 24th grafted on which is what caused the initial confusion.    

On 8/16/2023 at 8:45 AM, 1975NQ said:

Hey Steve,

LZ Boots recently posted a show on YouTube for the Outrider tour - November 24th (day 1), London, Hammersmith Odeon. The source/tape was provided through Susan Hedrick, an extremely reliable source whom you yourself have known many years. However, there are some other Outrider shows on YouTube that are much older of the same show, and both of those posts claim the show is from November 25th (day 2).

If memory serves, you were at these shows, and I'm sure have copies of both shows/boots. So, my question to you is - which show is this? The 24th or the 25th? One quick way to differentiate is to listen to John Miles' pre-song chatter with the audience before "Prison Blues". Here's a link to the show in question:

https://youtu.be/SmBhXd5GGnY

Thanks in advance for any light you can shed here. 

Hello. Yes, I did know Susan through the years though I haven't heard from her in probably 25 years or more. Wonderful person. It was Steve Jones of Manchester who attended both Manchester shows, not me, Steve A. Jones. Steve photographed several shows on the UK leg of that tour. I don't think he was doing any taping though. I haven't heard from Steve for several years now, but the last I heard he was still alive and well in Manchester.

Edited by SteveAJones

6 hours ago, SteveAJones said:

Hello. Yes, I did know Susan through the years though I haven't heard from her in probably 25 years or more. Wonderful person. It was Steve Jones of Manchester who attended both Manchester shows, not me, Steve A. Jones. Steve photographed several shows on the UK leg of that tour. I don't think he was doing any taping though. I haven't heard from Steve for several years now, but the last I heard he was still alive and well in Manchester.

Gotcha, thanks for clearing that up.

• 1 month later...
On 8/24/2023 at 1:40 AM, SteveAJones said:

1988 11 05.jpg

Just curious .. do you happen to have any backstory for this photograph? i.e. was it professionally shot, did the photographer get any other shots, etc. It's just a tremendous pic. I recently had it printed onto a cd, along with a paper slipcase for the cd, for playing in the car.

On 10/18/2023 at 1:21 PM, 1975NQ said:

Just curious .. do you happen to have any backstory for this photograph? i.e. was it professionally shot, did the photographer get any other shots, etc. It's just a tremendous pic. I recently had it printed onto a cd, along with a paper slipcase for the cd, for playing in the car.

Going from memory I do not recall the photographer's name. A name comes to mind but I prefer to check the annotations on my inventory sheets if I can find those. The back story as it relates to me anyway is that recently I once again retrieved a couple of storage trunks that contain somewhere between 3,000 to 5,000 Led Zeppelin/solo photo prints from the '70-'90s. There's probably about 300 from this tour, taken by various photographers in the UK & US, some of whom provided prints to me. I'd like to digitally scan them all, but it's so tedious and time consuming that it doesn't take much for my attention to be drawn to other projects.  

1988 11 24-25.jpg

8 hours ago, SteveAJones said:

Going from memory I do not recall the photographer's name. A name comes to mind but I prefer to check the annotations on my inventory sheets if I can find those. The back story as it relates to me anyway is that recently I once again retrieved a couple of storage trunks that contain somewhere between 3,000 to 5,000 Led Zeppelin/solo photo prints from the '70-'90s. There's probably about 300 from this tour, taken by various photographers in the UK & US, some of whom provided prints to me. I'd like to digitally scan them all, but it's so tedious and time consuming that it doesn't take much for my attention to be drawn to other projects.  

1988 11 24-25.jpg

Yeah, that's a lot of scanning - and quite an impressive collection you have there. This shot of the Hammersmith is great. I would have loved to have been at the show on the 25th. It's tied with Portland and Troy as favorite Outrider shows. Anyway, no worries. A little mystery's good for the soul.

On 10/20/2023 at 5:56 AM, 1975NQ said:

Yeah, that's a lot of scanning - and quite an impressive collection you have there. This shot of the Hammersmith is great. I would have loved to have been at the show on the 25th. It's tied with Portland and Troy as favorite Outrider shows. Anyway, no worries. A little mystery's good for the soul.

I obtained photos of several New York '88 gigs from Dardo Simone, a well known member of the so-called Led Zeppelin community. However, I don't think the Troy shot is from Dardo. His shots tend to be more along the lines of spontaneous point and shoot shots from wherever he was standing at the time. It could possibly be from Tony Defilippis or Frank Melfi, both of whom photographed several shows in the late 1980s with a high degree of precision. Otherwise, I'd have to suggest it may have been shot by a newspaper photographer. I haven't had a chance to check the Troy area archives to see if there is a match.   

On 10/22/2023 at 3:25 AM, SteveAJones said:

I obtained photos of several New York '88 gigs from Dardo Simone, a well known member of the so-called Led Zeppelin community. However, I don't think the Troy shot is from Dardo. His shots tend to be more along the lines of spontaneous point and shoot shots from wherever he was standing at the time. It could possibly be from Tony Defilippis or Frank Melfi, both of whom photographed several shows in the late 1980s with a high degree of precision. Otherwise, I'd have to suggest it may have been shot by a newspaper photographer. I haven't had a chance to check the Troy area archives to see if there is a match.   

No worries, I appreciate the information. I'll look into the online portfolios of the photographers you mention.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...