First 4 Albums vs Last 4 Albums (Not including Coda)

LeBron

Definately the first four! For some reason, I just like the material on I through IV better than the material from Houses of the Holy through In Through the Out Door. Maybe part of it is because Robert's voice is flat out amazing on I through IV, whereas on certain tracks on the later albums, he doesn't sound that great in my opinion.

I feel I'm going to end up in the minority but the last four. I just prefer their more ambitious songs, which usually in a band I like the exact opposite. As far as the ambitous songs go "TSRTS", "The Rain Song", "NQ", "IMTOD", "Kashmir", "In The Light", "Ten Years Gone", "Achilles", "Carouselambra", are just amazing. The blues/funk/ hard rock of "The Ocean", "Custard Pie", "The Rover", "Trampled Underfoot", "The Wanton Song", "Sick Again", "NFBM", & "In The Evening" I'll take over anything comparable over the first 4 albums except "HMMT", "SIBLY", & "Levee". The only thing that the first 4 albums have the edge for me is on the acoustic numbers of "LZ3" but in the end I still have to go with the last 4. I'm not a big fan of "LZ2" or "Presence" so they almost negated eachother in comparison to making my decision for early or later albums. "PG" is my favorite album so inevitably the last 4 just had that tipped in their favor.

I feel I'm going to end up in the minority but the last four. I just prefer their more ambitious songs, which usually in a band I like the exact opposite. As far as the ambitous songs go "TSRTS", "The Rain Song", "NQ", "IMTOD", "Kashmir", "In The Light", "Ten Years Gone", "Achilles", "Carouselambra", are just amazing. The blues/funk/ hard rock of "The Ocean", "Custard Pie", "The Rover", "Trampled Underfoot", "The Wanton Song", "Sick Again", "NFBM", & "In The Evening" I'll take over anything comparable over the first 4 albums except "HMMT", "SIBLY", & "Levee". The only thing that the first 4 albums have the edge for me is on the acoustic numbers of "LZ3" but in the end I still have to go with the last 4. I'm not a big fan of "LZ2" or "Presence" so they almost negated eachother in comparison to making my decision for early or later albums. "PG" is my favorite album so inevitably the last 4 just had that tipped in their favor.

I tend to lean toward the last four albums as well, although for me it is a mixed bag. PG is also my favorite album so that would automatically make me lean in that direction. Although I love PG and HOTH, I am not as wild about Presence and ITTOD even though they are both still pretty awesome. However, Percy's voice does sound stronger on the earlier albums and that is what I like about those.

For the most part, in the olden days before the internet, I focused mainly on their first 3 albums; and those are probably still my favorites. In more recent years I'm listening more to the later albums to get my listening hours equalled out :)

I tend to lean toward the last four albums as well, although for me it is a mixed bag. PG is also my favorite album so that would automatically make me lean in that direction. Although I love PG and HOTH, I am not as wild about Presence and ITTOD even though they are both still pretty awesome. However, Percy's voice does sound stronger on the earlier albums and that is what I like about those.

I think if Robert's voice is a Zep fan's favorite part of the Zeppelin sound I can see where one might be more inclined to prefer the earlier albums, power wise I think "LZ3" is his peak but I prefer his voice on "ITTOD" more. Depending on the song I tend to focus sepereately on Page's guitar army of layering on the later albums, the drum sound on the later albums, & JPJ's synth driven exursions on the later albums. Seperately as musicians what they're doing on the later albums is fantastic nevermind when you listen to them all combined playing together. As a guitarist, drummer, & keyboard player they are my personal # 1 favorites with their instruments. I hardly ever focus on Robert's voice or lyrics strangely enough as he's far from my favorite singer or lyricist seperated from the other three or on his own. As usual it just comes down to personal tastes.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 years later...

For me it would be the last four. My top three favorite Zep albums reside there - In Through The Out Door, Houses Of The Holy and Physical Graffiti.

I've often said that leaving behind the first four would simply crush me but leaving behind the last four might do me in!

I think it's the slightly more mature/epic/layered nature of the last four that touches me a bit more. As time passes, I tend to return to the last four more and more.

Having said that, ALL the albums are great. And essential.

• 2 years later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Definitely the last four.

Most of Led Zeppelin's best songs are represented on theie last four albums - Kashmir, Trampled Underfoot, In My Time Of Dying, The Rover, Ten Years Gone, The Wanton Song, Sick Again, In The Light, Achilles Last Stand, The Song Remians The Same, The Rain Song, Over The Hills And Far Away, No Quarter, The Ocean, Nobody's Fault But Mine, Tea For One, For Your Life, In The Evening, Carouselambra - enough said!

Houses of the Holy is pretty shrieky though, or vocally altered.

I know I will be savaged for this, but HOTH is right there with LZ3 when it comes to LZ albums I can easily pass on. HOTH is much stronger than 3, but for me Rain Song and No Quarter are way too slow and too long. Live, NQ takes on a kick ass tone that the studio version lacks.

There is def something weird about Plant's voice on HOTH, even when he is saying "Has anyone seen the bridge"? It's realy raspy, almost gurgly. OTHAFA and TSRTS are the true stars of HOTH (again, in my humble opinion).

I know I will be savaged for this, but HOTH is right there with LZ3 when it comes to LZ albums I can easily pass on. HOTH is much stronger than 3, but for me Rain Song and No Quarter are way too slow and too long. Live, NQ takes on a kick ass tone that the studio version lacks.

There is def something weird about Plant's voice on HOTH, even when he is saying "Has anyone seen the bridge"? It's realy raspy, almost gurgly. OTHAFA and TSRTS are the true stars of HOTH (again, in my humble opinion).

Well, one thing I can say is that because of the diversity of Zeppelin's music, it attracts a broad range of people for a broad range of reasons and musical styles. So, your opinion of HOTH is as valid as anyone elses. You rarely see everyone on the same page with respect to the individual albums. For instance, I love ITTOD, while many don't. Its all good.

Archived