Favorite Whole Lotta Love Medley or covers

achille1

As the title says.

Mine would have to be either Led Zeppelin's cover of 'Stand By Me' by Ben E. King or their outstanding versions of 'Blueberry Hill.' But as far as Whole Lotta Love goes? Probably New York's 1970 show which included, "excellent jam on the riff from Jeff Beck's Rice Pudding. The Everybody Needs Somebody to Love section at the end of the theramin freakout is a chaotic explosion of energy. The riotous marathon medley includes I Believe I'll Dust My Broom, John Lee Hooker's Bottle Up and Go, another excellent Lawdy Miss Clawdy at Plant's urging, Cinnamon Girl over the For What it's Worth theme, Some Other Guy, Train Kept a Rollin' with Stroll On lyrics, I'm a King Bee, Tommy McClennan's Baby Don't You Want to Go?, Freddie King's See See Baby, Jimmy Reed's You Got Me Runnin', and Muddy Waters's Honey Bee. One of the best and most elaborate thus far."

My favorite is when they play 'For What It's Worth' on the BBC version. Of course, that's one of things Jimmy left out when he released the official version.:angry:

They do that in the middle of Communication Breakdown jam at Blueberry hill as well, probably my fav version of that song.

That one ranks right up there smile.gif

Here's another fave

Houston 73

This is Denver isnt it? Superb!

Totally agree with everyones choices so far.

Can i throw 3.6.73 LA into the mix, my fave from that tour.

At a gathering at my place in the summer my friends wife was so appalled by it she said

it sounded like a 'whale giving birth'

...Idea for a bootleg title maybe!?

This is Denver isnt it? Superb!

Totally agree with everyones choices so far.

Can i throw 3.6.73 LA into the mix, my fave from that tour.

At a gathering at my place in the summer my friends wife was so appalled by it she said

it sounded like a 'whale giving birth'

...Idea for a bootleg title maybe!?

• 7 years later...

My favourite at the moment for "How Many More Times" is Tampa 1970-04-09 (I've always enjoyed the feel of this gig, though I hear the medley from memphis 1970-04-17 is much better, just much worse sound quality), but a personal favourite of mine for "Whole Lotta Love" is 1971-09-29 (The power of the guitar tone on "Fortune Teller" combined with Bonham's 'samurai' drums could power a small city and the Jamming on "Good Times Bad Times" and "You Shook Me" is out of this world). 

Whenever people ask me which medley is best to listen to first, I always recommend the Whole Lotta Love from "Blueberry Hill", because I feel it doesn't go on for too long and captures a good amount of tunes that show off Zeppelin's chemistry nicely (Plus that combination of "Honey Bee">"Lemon Song" is my personal favourite Robert Plant Moment"). 

From experiencing it live, my favorite WWL performance was in 1970 at the Tarrant County Convention Center Arena on the night of August 22. WLL was the highlight of the evening, of many highlights. The band gelled perfectly, all playing well, with Robert really shining with his performance on WLL. A tour de force!!

I would find it rather difficult to choose one Whole Lotta Love Medley.

My favorite covers that Zeppelin did is an easier question to answer.  C'mon Everybody and Something Else from Royal Albert Hall January 9, 1970.  So much energy and power.  Plant's range  is magnificent and the band is a juggernaut.  Tight but loose indeed.  Jimmy is over the top.

On 4/21/2017 at 0:13 PM, ZepHead315 said:

My top 3 will always be this:

9/19/70 (evening) - so many songs played in such a short time, all performed well

9/29/71 - Twist and Shout is amazing here

3/22/73 - The end of the Everybody Needs Somebody to Love section is one of the most intense things I've ever heard.

Great choices!  And bonus points to 3/22/73 for containing a bit of "Turn On Your Love Light" during the "Everybody Needs Somebody To Love" section!

• 6 months later...
On 4/21/2017 at 12:13 PM, ZepHead315 said:

My top 3 will always be this:

9/19/70 (evening) - so many songs played in such a short time, all performed well

9/29/71 - Twist and Shout is amazing here

3/22/73 - The end of the Everybody Needs Somebody to Love section is one of the most intense things I've ever heard.

Well, I guess I should know better than to put absolute words like "always" when it comes to favorites like this. Mine keep changing! :P

I will say that, currently, my favorite version is Tokyo 9/23/71. :o Holy shit, words do not do justice to this version. The length, the songs (Good Times Bad Times! How Many More Times! Tobacco Road!), Plant pushing his voice to its limits, and that crowd. By god, they sound like they're about to explode! It's a wonder anyone survived!

• 4 years later...

My fav WLL medleys are:

MSG 9/19/70 (eve)

Tokyo 9/23/71

Leicester 11/25/71 - "Going Down", "Rave On", "So Many Roads/Lemon Song" sound so damn good, in fact it's all amazing, listening to it right now ..

Bradford 1/18/73 - I love how tight, swaggering and confident this one is, it sounds "just right" to my ears, it's been my fav for years and years

LA Forum 6/3/73

As far as other fav "cover" moments, I love

"It's Your Thing" in Communication Breakdown from 6/27/69 BBC

Communication Breakdown medley from Blueberry Hill

All the Eddie Cochran ones they did

On 1/24/2010 at 10:36 PM, achille1 said:

As the title says.

Mine would have to be either Led Zeppelin's cover of 'Stand By Me' by Ben E. King or their outstanding versions of 'Blueberry Hill.' But as far as Whole Lotta Love goes? Probably New York's 1970 show which included, "excellent jam on the riff from Jeff Beck's Rice Pudding. The Everybody Needs Somebody to Love section at the end of the theramin freakout is a chaotic explosion of energy. The riotous marathon medley includes I Believe I'll Dust My Broom, John Lee Hooker's Bottle Up and Go, another excellent Lawdy Miss Clawdy at Plant's urging, Cinnamon Girl over the For What it's Worth theme, Some Other Guy, Train Kept a Rollin' with Stroll On lyrics, I'm a King Bee, Tommy McClennan's Baby Don't You Want to Go?, Freddie King's See See Baby, Jimmy Reed's You Got Me Runnin', and Muddy Waters's Honey Bee. One of the best and most elaborate thus far."

I agree wholeheartedly, it doesn't get any better than that medley in NYC. Although the one in Royal Albert Hall during How Many More is damn fine too, especially in video AND in punchy soundboard quality!