Robert Plant on his Led Zeppelin royalties...

kaiser

Richard Skinner: I'll tell you one thing's for sure - the old Zeppelin sound is certainly enjoying a big revival at the moment. It's not only your records, but ones recorded by bands that sound exactly like Led Zeppelin too. I hope you're still getting royalties from those old recordings!

Robert Plant: No. No. I'd like to think I was - but like every reluctant hero I sold my rights years ago, mate. (chuckles) Uh yes. It's quite flattering to see that and try not to be stunned by it, really.

Richard Skinner: I'll tell you one thing's for sure - the old Zeppelin sound is certainly enjoying a big revival at the moment. It's not only your records, but ones recorded by bands that sound exactly like Led Zeppelin too. I hope you're still getting royalties from those old recordings!

Robert Plant: No. No. I'd like to think I was - but like every reluctant hero I sold my rights years ago, mate. (chuckles) Uh yes. It's quite flattering to see that and try not to be stunned by it, really.

Do you have any other info/details on how this occurred, who the rights were sold to and possibly whether any -or all- band members sold their royalty rights? Maybe SAJ has further info. I can see why this would create the atmosphere of "working for the man" for Robert when promoting this music in any fashion.

Thanks

Do you have any other info/details on how this occurred, who the rights were sold to and possibly whether any -or all- band members sold their royalty rights? Maybe SAJ has further info. I can see why this would create the atmosphere of "working for the man" for Robert when promoting this music in any fashion.

Thanks

My understanding is Robert is the only one who sold his royalties but still retained creative control on things pertaining to the band.

My understanding is Robert is the only one who sold his royalties but still retained creative control on things pertaining to the band.

Thank You..

Well--- I tend to think that "creative control" means a lot more when there is a financial incentive behind it...any details on this would be appreciated :<).

Robert sold his rights years ago, in the 80s (if I'm not mistaken). I don't think he's so strapped for cash that he needs a financial incentive to be concerned about the creative aspect of music, though.

I agree.... he doesn't need the money for himself. As times change though, he might be interested in supporting other causes that require financial support. I would think that being on even financial footing would be important when promoting Led Zeppelin....mostly out of respect.

Interested in details though...we don't have to reach a conclusion yet :<).

He did not need to sell his rights though. Royalties are an artists 'bread and butter', even when you go broke or bankrupt. This decision was made in the early 80s when Plant deliberately distanced himself from that Zeppelin sound and look (before he decided to change back again with Now and Zen in 1988). If it wasn't for his solo career, he would be struggling. I don't believe he realised on how resilient the group brand is and that Led Zeppelin would go on to turn over revenue with reissues, CD sales, and box-sets. He doesn't get a cent in royalties and in fact has to pay the new owner of the songs, even though he co-wrote most of them (similar situation with Paul McCartney's Beatles songs - he actually has to pay someone else each time he performs them).

And still he holds a higher place on UK's rich list than his bandmates.

That's something I don't understand. How come if he sold his rights? :huh:

And Meg Ireland, I don't think Robert is reluctant in performing Led Zeppelin's songs, he has been doing it since 1988 in every tour he has made. He is reluctant in reforming Led Zeppelin, but that's a different story.

That's something I don't understand. How come if he sold his rights? :huh:

Maybe because he has a rather successful solo career? :P

I'm not sure about this, but I've always thought he only sold his royalities of the Zeppelin original back-catalogue albums sale. He does get royalities from like the box-sets sale and doesn't need to pay when he performs the songs live.

Thanks

Nope, I reprinted what I had available & that's the only quote where I can remember Robert talking about selling his roylaties. I only posted this because of the occassional debates on whether he sold them or not. Well, this confirms that he did. The reasons why... well that's another debate unless someone else can provide another quote from Robert directly saying why he sold them.

Maybe because he has a rather successful solo career? :P

Maybe. :P

I'm not sure about this, but I've always thought he only sold his royalities of the Zeppelin original back-catalogue albums sale. He does get royalities from like the box-sets sale and doesn't need to pay when he performs the songs live.

I think I read something like that too, but still I can't see how he mas made more or at least as much money as Jimmy. :huh:

But nevermind, really, I'm happy he doesn't need to pay the mortgage. :D

Nope, I reprinted what I had available & that's the only quote where I can remember Robert talking about selling his roylaties. I only posted this because of the occassional debates on whether he sold them or not. Well, this confirms that he did. The reasons why... well that's another debate unless someone else can provide another quote from Robert directly saying why he sold them.

I am curious as to who has these rights now. Also, when exactly did this transaction take place (how close to Bonzo's passing). I agree with the possibility that Robert wanted to distance himself from the band (at that point in time). I am surprised there weren't alternatives and was wondering if he made this decision alone.

Anyways, I agree that he has also done well on his own. This may be significant in Robert's mind...who knows.

The fact that he was the ONLY one in the band to sell these rights is significant.

Interesting....

I am curious as to who has these rights now. Also, when exactly did this transaction take place (how close to Bonzo's passing). I agree with the possibility that Robert wanted to distance himself from the band (at that point in time). I am surprised there weren't alternatives and was wondering if he made this decision alone.

Anyways, I agree that he has also done well on his own. This may be significant in Robert's mind...who knows.

The fact that he was the ONLY one in the band to sell these rights is significant.

Interesting....

I've covered this more than once before so I'll keep this short: He only sold his rights to receive royalties from sales of

Led Zeppelin's back catalog (the ten original studio albums). This was done circa 1981-83, either during or shortly after Peter Grant negotiated his recording contract as a solo artist. At the time New Wave music dominated the charts and

'70s rock album sales were abysmal; no one knew the compact disc format would come along a few years later and spur the public to repurchase all those old albums. Robert has not publicly divulged to whom the rights were sold. It's possible they were simply sold to Atlantic Records while Grant was negotiating his recording contract as a solo artist. There's no evidence to suggest Page, Jones or the Bonham estate ever did anything similar to this.

I've covered this more than once before so I'll keep this short: He only sold his rights to receive royalties from sales of

Led Zeppelin's back catalog (the ten original studio albums). This was done circa 1981-83, either during or shortly after Peter Grant negotiated his recording contract as a solo artist. At the time New Wave music dominated the charts and

'70s rock album sales were abysmal; no one knew the compact disc format would come along a few years later and spur the public to repurchase all those old albums. Robert has not publicly divulged to whom the rights were sold. It's possible they were simply sold to Atlantic Records while Grant was negotiating his recording contract as a solo artist. There's no evidence to suggest Page, Jones or the Bonham estate ever did anything similar to this.

I remember you discussing this months ago in your mystery thread.

Would you hazard a guess as to what the annual gross revenue on the Led Zeppelin brand (cd's, apparel, etc.) is in the present?

Stunned ? Over twenty years later and I'm still stunned he was such a dumb-ass.

My guess is he wanted to distance himself from Zeppelin, as has been pointed out many times before, and what better way to do that than to sell the royalties. He wanted to make it on his own. It's a mental and self-satisfaction sort of thing. I'm stunned that a "Bong-Man Reefer Man" wouldn't understand this. What a dumb ass!

Thanks Steve, I knew you would have some info on this. I have seen this kind of underestimation before relative to the power of the internet as a distribution channel. Anyways, we all make financial mistakes, but even without knowing what Robert received for these rights I'm sure it fell far short of the true value.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

In 1979, Phillips and Sony started off a joint working group in order to design a successful digital audio disc. After a year`s work and lot of experiments and discussions, the compact disc was invented. No single person can be said to have invented it, a large group collectively invented the compact disc.

In August, 1982, the first CD for commercial purposes was manufactured in a Phillips factory in Germany. The first music title that was released on a CD was `The Visitors (1981) by ABBA`. Soon after, in October of the same year, the CD players from Sony also reached the markets. The event is often called as `the Big Bang` in the field of digital audio.

The new concept was an immediate hit in the market. Consumers were enthusiastic about the quality of the audio on the CDs. The price of CD players sank really fast, as a result of which, the popularity increased even more.

My guess is he wanted to distance himself from Zeppelin, as has been pointed out many times before, and what better way to do that than to sell the royalties. He wanted to make it on his own. It's a mental and self-satisfaction sort of thing. I'm stunned that a "Bong-Man Reefer Man" wouldn't understand this. What a dumb ass!

Don't worry friend...you're not alone. There's lots of kool-aid drinkers here.

Kool-AidMan.jpg

Don't worry friend...you're not alone. There's lots of kool-aid drinkers here.

Kool-AidMan.jpg

I don't drink kool-aid. Can't stand the stuff.

And I'd like to be your friend. After all, we're all here because we love Zep. I love them as a unit as well as individuals. All this slamming Robert Plant and the name calling infuriates me. I've never seen any of the other members of Zep referred to in the derogatory fashion that Robert draws. It's immature and uncalled for. That's why I finally had to reply to a derogatory comment. We don't know what drives their motives and we don't need to know. It's really none of our business. I just want to enjoy all the music, past, present and future.

He doesn't get a cent in royalties and in fact has to pay the new owner of the songs, even though he co-wrote most of them (similar situation with Paul McCartney's Beatles songs - he actually has to pay someone else each time he performs them).

Did he sell his songwriting royalties, or his performance royalties? Or both?

I've never seen any of the other members of Zep referred to in the derogatory fashion that Robert draws.

You have never seen and you'll never will see it happens.

The bashing of Robert Plant is a kind of "official" sport on this board and it used to infuriate me too. Now I just don't care anymore. Plant deserves the best of me, not my worst...and I just don't waste time having fights with people that show no respect for their so called idols. <_<

You have never seen and you'll never will see it happens.

The bashing of Robert Plant is a kind of "official" sport on this board and it used to infuriate me too. Now I just don't care anymore. Plant deserves the best of me, not my worst...and I just don't waste time having fights with people that show no respect for their so called idols. dry.gif

This is not directed at you brspled but as a general rule of thought :

Avoiding that fight is the smart move and I think the bashers are best ignored. This forum has had many leave over those fights and I think most of that could have been avoided if the obvious bashers had been ignored from the get go ! However, a little constructive critisism of any of the band members does not necessarily translate into bashing. They are afterall, just human even if some like to think otherwise.

Archived