Robert Plant on his Led Zeppelin royalties...

kaiser

This is not directed at you brspled but as a general rule of thought :

Avoiding that fight is the smart move and I think the bashers are best ignored. This forum has had many leave over those fights and I think most of that could have been avoided if the obvious bashers had been ignored from the get go ! However, a little constructive critisism of any of the band members does not necessarily translate into bashing. They are afterall, just human even if some like to think otherwise.

I respectfully disagree with you ally. Personally I think the bashing would have snowballed if no one ever stands up here for Robert Plant.

And as you can see as well, some things said about Robert Plant(like the "dumb-ass" one in this thread) don't really belong to the category of "a little constructive critisism".

This is not directed at you brspled but as a general rule of thought :

Avoiding that fight is the smart move and I think the bashers are best ignored. This forum has had many leave over those fights and I think most of that could have been avoided if the obvious bashers had been ignored from the get go ! However, a little constructive critisism of any of the band members does not necessarily translate into bashing. They are afterall, just human even if some like to think otherwise.

I have been responsible for some of these fights in the past, Ally, and I have almost left this place for good....so even if it's not directed at me, it suits me well too. :slapface: Trying to avoid the fights is really the best move, now I know.And of course a bit of criticism is welcome too, the band members are only humans as you well said. And I'm one of those who - despite loving the members of Led Zeppelin, and especially Robert Plant - will post a bit of criticism if necessary. The ones who knows me well can be sure of that. Mind you, I can even criticize Robert's looks!!!!! :o :o :P;)

I respectfully disagree with you ally. Personally I think the bashing would have snowballed if no one ever stands up here for Robert Plant.

And as you can see as well, some things said about Robert Plant(like the "dumb-ass" one in this thread) don't really belong to the category of "a little constructive critisism".

Hiya Glicine

Not sure about that . I think 99% of the board members can see thru the stupid comments. I look at those comments the same way I look at a little kid trying to get some attention by acting up. Best ignored and usually, the problem stops.

Thanks Steve, I knew you would have some info on this. I have seen this kind of underestimation before relative to the power of the internet as a distribution channel. Anyways, we all make financial mistakes, but even without knowing what Robert received for these rights I'm sure it fell far short of the true value.

In 1981-3, nobody could possibly have foreseen the power of the internet to do anything, in fact I'm sure most people had never heard of it. OK, I hadn't. :D

I have been responsible for some of these fights in the past, Ally, and I have almost left this place for good....so even if it's not directed at me, it suits me well too. slapface.gif Trying to avoid the fights is really the best move, now I know.And of course a bit of criticism is welcome too, the band members are only humans as you well said. And I'm one of those who - despite loving the members of Led Zeppelin, and especially Robert Plant - will post a bit of criticism if necessary. The ones who knows me well can be sure of that. Mind you, I can even criticize Robert's looks!!!!! ohmy.gifohmy.giftongue.gifwink.gif

laugh.gif

My statement was meant as a general one and not meant as a dig at anyone. The stresses of those fights seem to have left scars on many who used to post here on a regular basis and it just seems a shame that this is the case. I just hate it when the idiots win !

laugh.gif

My statement was meant as a general one and not meant as a dig at anyone. The stresses of those fights seem to have left scars on many who used to post here on a regular basis and it just seems a shame that this is the case. I just hate it when the idiots win !

Amen, brother! B)

It's quite flattering to see that and try not to be stunned by it, really.

I can see him now sitting there with his 80's mullett telling some MTV reporter that he's stunned by Led Zeppelin's musical legacy....that he had no idea the catalog would ever sell again....no concept of the music's quality or staying power. :slapface::slapface::slapface::slapface:

The Internet ? :D

Up until now this website has seemed like the concert history of the Grateful Dead. No animosity. Are we mad because Robert did something we would not have done? It's his business. His life. He apparently chose the Sinatra "My Way". Perhaps he wanted to stay hungry, as to not disappoint himself or his fans. I applaud his risky decision. How much did he make in cash? Apparently we don't know. Arguments could be made for either side of the equation. Bottom line is, the man has always been successful. So whatever he has done, it's working. If he did it for the reasons I think, that adds a dimension to the man that I didn't know existed. Health and prosperity, Robert.

olderrobertplant.jpg

Up until now this website has seemed like the concert history of the Grateful Dead. No animosity. Are we mad because Robert did something we would not have done? It's his business. His life. He apparently chose the Sinatra "My Way". Perhaps he wanted to stay hungry, as to not disappoint himself or his fans. I applaud his risky decision. How much did he make in cash? Apparently we don't know. Arguments could be made for either side of the equation. Bottom line is, the man has always been successful. So whatever he has done, it's working. If he did it for the reasons I think, that adds a dimension to the man that I didn't know existed. Health and prosperity, Robert.

Well said, it's his decision, his life.

olderrobertplant.jpg

If I remember correctly, the amount was about 7 million dollars in U.S......but don't quote me on that. Don't fool yourself.....he would take that decision back in a minute. You didn't see anyone else tempted to sell. The move earns the label "moron" and "dumb-ass"....and I would bet he's been reminded about it on more than once occasion.

If I remember correctly, the amount was about 7 million dollars in U.S......but don't quote me on that. Don't fool yourself.....he would take that decision back in a minute. You didn't see anyone else tempted to sell. The move earns the label "moron" and "dumb-ass"....and I would bet he's been reminded about it on more than once occasion.

I've never understood why he did this. Knowing what their (LZ) percentage was of the door (90%) and how many shows they played under this arrangement, it is impossible to believe he did this to

1)Pay for his kids

2)Pay for the 1980 divorce

3)Pay for studio time and musicians

Robert Plant doesn't have the reputation for spending money on young girls, cars, castles, or cocaine that the 1979 class of rock stars had. I just can't believe he did it for the money. I can believe he did it in the 2 month period that Duran Duran ruled the roost, in the bowels of 1982, when it seemed like Zep would be irrelevant forever. I can believe that he made an all or nothing commitment to move forward. He doesn't seem to suffer from writers block as some do.

If I were the producer of a Led Zeppelin 2011 tour, the first thing I would put on the table is the publishing and royalty rights. The question I've not seen answered or asked is To whom did Robert Plant sell his Led Zeppelin rights?

It would be easier to get them back from Jimmy Page than it would be from Jermaine Jackson.

You have never seen and you'll never will see it happens.

The bashing of Robert Plant is a kind of "official" sport on this board and it used to infuriate me too. Now I just don't care anymore. Plant deserves the best of me, not my worst...and I just don't waste time having fights with people that show no respect for their so called idols. <_<

:yesnod: :yesnod: :yesnod:

My understanding is Robert is the only one who sold his royalties but still retained creative control on things pertaining to the band.

I very much doubt this whole issue.

If Robert did sell his rights to those Zeppelin songs, he would not have any creative control as to how they are used.

If the quotes are accurate, I would take those comment as Robert being funny.

However, If I am wrong and he did in fact sell his rights, it would be the dumbest move anyone has ever made!

I very much doubt this whole issue.

If Robert did sell his rights to those Zeppelin songs, he would not have any creative control as to how they are used.

If the quotes are accurate, I would take those comment as Robert being funny.

However, If I am wrong and he did in fact sell his rights, it would be the dumbest move anyone has ever made!

I'm pretty sure it's been stated here before the specifics, but I am reasonably certain Robert does in fact have a say in how Zep's songs are used and that things involving the band is a collective decision, Robert included. As for it being dumb, Robert obviously felt it was the right move for HIM and it's his life and his business IMO.

And still he holds a higher place on UK's rich list than his bandmates.

That's something I don't understand. How come if he sold his rights? :huh:

And Meg Ireland, I don't think Robert is reluctant in performing Led Zeppelin's songs, he has been doing it since 1988 in every tour he has made. He is reluctant in reforming Led Zeppelin, but that's a different story.

Without knowing how the UK's "rich list" is calculated (e.g., based on net worth?), it's hard to say why Robert holds a higher position than his bandmates. Based strictly on my own experiences working with trusts and estate planning (including within my own family) and not on any firsthand knowledge of the LZ members financial situations, it could be that, like many high net worth individuals in the U.S. and U.K, the other Zep guys have transferred some of their assets (as a way to protect them, reduce taxes, etc. ) into family trusts or off-shore accounts. If they have done either or both of those things, their individual net worth will be lower.

If in fact he only sold off his royalties for sales of the original albums, then he ought to still be making money off the airplay for Zeppelin's music. I occasionally work with the guitarist who wrote Jungle Love, and he still makes something like 13 cents every time it's played on the radio. Plant has to be raking in hundreds per day at that rate.

...you know, before calling Robert a "dumbass" for selling his rights/royalties to the old Zeppelin catalog, consider:

1. His financial advisor gave him some bad advise at the time, or better;

2. His financial advisor said "Look Bob, the Zeppelin catalog sold about as much as it's going to....everyone already has the albums. I recommend selling off the rights and investing that cash in this new commpany...I think it's called 'Microslob' or 'Microsop' or something like that! It's supposed to be the next big thing! The other lads aren't interested, but I thought you might want to give it a go!"

Who would be the "dumbass" then? That could also explain why his net worth his higher than his bandmates!

All fun aside, it was his decision and knowing what I know of his philosphy of life based on his lyrics and lifestyle, I have no doubt he's dealt with it and continues doing things his own way.....

Without knowing how the UK's "rich list" is calculated (e.g., based on net worth?), it's hard to say why Robert holds a higher position than his bandmates. Based strictly on my own experiences working with trusts and estate planning (including within my own family) and not on any firsthand knowledge of the LZ members financial situations, it could be that, like many high net worth individuals in the U.S. and U.K, the other Zep guys have transferred some of their assets (as a way to protect them, reduce taxes, etc. ) into family trusts or off-shore accounts. If they have done either or both of those things, their individual net worth will be lower.

Hi MSG!!! :wave: :wave:

Yes, you're right, they might have invested their money in different ways and this can explain why Robert is higher on these "richest men" lists. :) Not that I care, really. And it doesn't look like Robert has any reason to be worried. He has done pretty well, even for a dumbass. :P

Strictly speaking in financial terms, in hindsight it obviously wasn't a smart business decision. Whether he regrets it or not, meh, that's just speculation. He did what he did, he has to live with it along with all his other decisions in life, and for some to call him a dumbass and for others to blindly defend him yet again when he doesn't have to be defended for this and other matters is ridiculous. He's a big boy, he can make his own decisions intelligently or not and I believe he can defend himself from criticism without the help of a mob.

Strictly speaking in financial terms, in hindsight it obviously wasn't a smart business decision. Whether he regrets it or not, meh, that's just speculation. He did what he did, he has to live with it along with all his other decisions in life, and for some to call him a dumbass and for others to blindly defend him yet again when he doesn't have to be defended for this and other matters is ridiculous. He's a big boy, he can make his own decisions intelligently or not and I believe he can defend himself from criticism without the help of a mob.

I think that this could be an important lesson for any artist that is confronted with similar choices. I am more interested in the "other party" to this transaction, and the information they had backing their decision. Maybe Robert sold it to someone he could trust..who knows? My thought is that if your going up against "the man" / big music biz, you had better do your homework because they sure did. It sure would be nice to hear Robert's side some day....it could be very enlightening.

Archived