Robert Plant on his Led Zeppelin royalties...

kaiser

I think that this could be an important lesson for any artist that is confronted with similar choices. I am more interested in the "other party" to this transaction, and the information they had backing their decision. Maybe Robert sold it to someone he could trust..who knows? My thought is that if your going up against "the man" / big music biz, you had better do your homework because they sure did. It sure would be nice to hear Robert's side some day....it could be very enlightening.

"Rumors" indicate they were sold to Atlantic, not Jimmy. Once again "rumor".

The beauty of all this for Robert was the fact that he maintained his creative control. Which gave him veto power...Which brought Atlantic back to the table with Robert so new projects could be approved.

He lost...NOTHING.

Also, this whole Plant bashing and no one ever being that critical of another band member...Well maybe not so much here, but you all know pretty damn well that the media (and fans a like) over the years have been extremely cruel to Jimmy in print.

Would anyone like to be Jimmy Page? How about one day you wake up...one of your closest friends in the world has suddenly past away...Someone close enough to you to consider family...

And all you can read is...

Page summoned the devil...Page is a devil worshiper...and this is what he gets...It was Page who was dealing in the occult, and this is the black cloud that haunts the band members...Questioning his loyalty to Robert after Robert lost his son? Why? I understand Robert having the issue, but someone here? WTF?

Anyone want to be Jimmy? You think he's not human? You think it was easy for him? You think to this day he doesn't have to deal with some A-hole asking him about how he sold his soul to the devil? Hurtful...Even to those with the toughest skin, I'd say it be a challenge waking up on a daily basis for any period of time, and having to deal with these types of things.

Did he sell his songwriting royalties, or his performance royalties? Or both?

Again, as I understand it he only sold his rights to receive royalties from sales of Led Zeppelin's back catalog (the ten original albums). All other rights were retained. Have never heard of him having to pay to perform those songs. If Meg or anyone else can substantiate something inconsistent with what I've said I'd certainly be interested to see it now given it was 25+ years ago.

Would you hazard a guess as to what the annual gross revenue on the Led Zeppelin brand (cd's, apparel, etc.) is in the present?

It's a topic worthy of examination in it's own thread. I've seen estimations for other artists such as Presley and Hendrix, but can't think of one for Led Zeppelin.

Perhaps we should step outside the box a second here.

Do you know why Steve hasn't posted an article or details about this ? Because there's very little or nothing out there. This sad episode has been hushed up by everyone involved, including Atlantic records. I'm pretty sure it was Atlantic that purchased the rights from Robert. What I want to know is, and there is really know way to tell, does any of this influence Robert's decisions to release more Zeppelin product ?

And I'm sorry, but if he lost all financial rights to the box set.... :o

Everyone already knew it was his decision. Nobody knows if he regrets it or not. Thanks mob.

Well done, you missed the point twice. Point one: obviously it was his decision, the issue was whether he should be criticized for making a decision about his own finances. Point two: "He has not been seen to regret it unduly" doesn't suggest knowledge, simply observation.

Hmm--seems that if people are not bashing Plant mercilessly whatever he does (such as criticizing music nobody's heard yet), they're perceived to be indulging in blind unreasoning adulation, fit only for the HPOR thread. Somthing tells me that most people, such as myself, are doing something in between, which allows for criticism of the man where it seems merited. Insults aimed at reasonable discussion reveal the true colors of the insulter, and deserve no further consideration.

The beauty of all this for Robert was the fact that he maintained his creative control. Which gave him veto power...Which brought Atlantic back to the table with Robert so new projects could be approved.

He lost...NOTHING.

Also, this whole Plant bashing and no one ever being that critical of another band member...Well maybe not so much here, but you all know pretty damn well that the media (and fans a like) over the years have been extremely cruel to Jimmy in print.

Would anyone like to be Jimmy Page? How about one day you wake up...one of your closest friends in the world has suddenly past away...Someone close enough to you to consider family...

And all you can read is...

Page summoned the devil...Page is a devil worshiper...and this is what he gets...It was Page who was dealing in the occult, and this is the black cloud that haunts the band members...Questioning his loyalty to Robert after Robert lost his son? Why? I understand Robert having the issue, but someone here? WTF?

Anyone want to be Jimmy? You think he's not human? You think it was easy for him? You think to this day he doesn't have to deal with some A-hole asking him about how he sold his soul to the devil? Hurtful...Even to those with the toughest skin, I'd say it be a challenge waking up on a daily basis for any period of time, and having to deal with these types of things.

Robert, Jimmy, & Bonzo have all had their share of unfair press for sure. The difference here though is that this is a forum for fans who aren't paid to write their opinions on the band or are benefiting career wise at the expense of the band. Journalists are paid & do benefit from whatever their media outlet is. I assume 99% of the people here are fans & if they have a criticism of the band or it's members it's mainly being done out of a love for the band & without compensation, not with an axe to grind or to be a sensationalist.

Jimmy Page is my favorite musician of all time yet I don't believe he's above criticism. I don't feel the "need", as others do, to defend him everytime a piece of criticism is hurled his way. I find that more immature than if someone called him, I don't know, a doo-doo head for the lack of a better criticism. The person making the doo-doo head remark, well his/her comments would say a lot more about him/her than Page. It speaks for itself. I have been critical of Page on this site & I don't apologize for it because I've done it constructively & I can back up my opinions, as well as any criticisms I've had of Plant & Bonham. I don't think I've ever been critical of Jones but I'm sure someone else has & if it was done constructively all the more power to him/her.

Insults aimed at reasonable discussion reveal the true colors of the insulter, and deserve no further consideration.

I can appreciate this point of view. Allow me to offer you another. Until I mentioned it, not one person who contributed to the beginning of this thread was willing to call it exactly like it was....A MISTAKE. As opposed to being 'harsh', I would call making excuses for Robert's actions as being 'blinded by the light'.

Thanks to freedom of opinion, everyone reading this can now make their own choice based on several different opinions instead of just one.

Well done, you missed the point twice. Point one: obviously it was his decision, the issue was whether he should be criticized for making a decision about his own finances. Point two: "He has not been seen to regret it unduly" doesn't suggest knowledge, simply observation.

Hmm--seems that if people are not bashing Plant mercilessly whatever he does (such as criticizing music nobody's heard yet), they're perceived to be indulging in blind unreasoning adulation, fit only for the HPOR thread. Somthing tells me that most people, such as myself, are doing something in between, which allows for criticism of the man where it seems merited. Insults aimed at reasonable discussion reveal the true colors of the insulter, and deserve no further consideration.

Here comes the sirens again...

Once again I started this thread to confirm that yes, Robert indeed sold his Led Zeppelin royalties so there wasn't anymore doubt whether he did or not as I had a quote directly attributed to Plant on the matter. Speculation as to "why" he did this soon descended into Plant being called a "dumbass" by one, thus unleashing the air raid siren gathering the usual suspects of the Plant Police to defend Robert & throw their own brand of spin into things. I don't think that Plant is a "dumbass" or that he was a "dumbass" for selling his royalties. In hindsight finacially, I'm being critical here, I feel it was a mistake. I have no idea whether he regrets that decision or not & I'm not going to put a spin on it either way as he's never indicated whether he does or not. It's wishful thinking for those who feel he does as well as for those who feel he doesn't.

So one, I didn't miss the point, you did. It's not whether he "should" be criticized it's simply that he can be criticized, a point you miss over & over again. Two, sure it's an observation, an observation on your part wanting people to believe he doesn't regret it because people are being critical of his choice & it seems to much for you to bear that criticism. Relax a little, ease back & enjoy a Coke.

I can appreciate this point of view. Allow me to offer you another. Until I mentioned it, not one person who contributed to the beginning of this thread was willing to call it exactly like it was....A MISTAKE. As opposed to being 'harsh', I would call making excuses for Robert's actions as being 'blinded by the light'.

Thanks to freedom of opinion, everyone reading this can now make their own choice based on several different opinions instead of just one.

Thank you :)

I don't have problem with people judging this as a "mistake", I do have problem with people simply passing the labels "dumb-ass" and "moron".

It has nothing to do with if this is a mistake, and nothing to do with if he regrets this. Does anybody who has made a mistake deserved to be called a "dumb-ass"? This is HARSH. Ok, I guess I'm simply not used to strong languages. ;)

I don't have problem with people judging this as a "mistake", I do have problem with people simply passing the labels "dumb-ass" and "moron".

It has nothing to do with if this is a mistake, and nothing to do with if he regrets this. Does anybody who has made a mistake deserved to be called a "dumb-ass"? This is HARSH. Ok, I guess I'm simply not used to strong languages. ;)

I agree with all of that. It was harsh but then it also descended into something else by the "defenders" which was equally ridiculous. It happens everytime someone is critical of Plant, and it's always, always the same people feeling the "need" to defend. What's to defend? Let people have their say & if you disagree then you disagree. You would think Robert Plant was their child. He's a public figure & a grown man. Geez.

I agree with all of that. It was harsh but then it also descended into something else by the "defenders" which was equally ridiculous. It happens everytime someone is critical of Plant, and it's always, always the same people feeling the "need" to defend. What's to defend? Let people have their say & if you disagree then you disagree. You would think Robert Plant was their child. He's a public figure & a grown man. Geez.

Errr, yes, when people disagree with someone else they made their disagreement known, without harsh words used, so what's the problem?

Again...At any stage past or in the future, he does not regret it, at least from a financial standpoint. Robert having veto power makes any modern day project past 1982 involving Led Zeppelin a cash cow for him. Simply put, selling his royalties is not keeping him up at night.

I agree with you. Why would you think I wouldn't? :huh:

an observation on your part wanting people to believe he doesn't regret it because people are being critical of his choice & it seems to much for you to bear that criticism.

I haven't seen him sounding particularly regretful, have you? Which is not to say he might not feel that way, because he did pass up a lot of money. I could care less how he feels about it, let alone being wracked with anguish about it. :rolleyes:

Errr, yes, when people disagree with someone else they made their disagreement known, without harsh words used, so what's the problem?

None. I agree. It should apply to everyone though & not just a segment of those here. I think some people just feel this self entitlement to try & intimidate others for having their own opinions when they not in accordance with their world view of things, and here it's with Robert Plant for a certain segment that goes into a tizzy over the slightest critique of Robert Plant real or imagined. And I wasn't directing those last comments at you in any way :D .

I agree with you. Why would you think I wouldn't? :huh:

I haven't seen him sounding particularly regretful, have you? Which is not to say he might not feel that way, because he did pass up a lot of money. I could care less how he feels about it, let alone being wracked with anguish about it. :rolleyes:

I haven't seen him "anything" pertaining to how he feels on the matter.

In 1981-3, nobody could possibly have foreseen the power of the internet to do anything, in fact I'm sure most people had never heard of it. OK, I hadn't. :D

Sorry...I missed your post earlier. I was not referring to the "power of the internet" circa 1981-1983, but just another HUGE example of what is/has transformed media and entertainment. I think Bill Gates and Steve Jobs saw the potential in the 80's :<)...but not the average joe for sure. The rights to an artists music can transcend across all mediums and channels of distribution. The audience for this music is getting broader every day. Pretty soon Live Concerts will be viewed from the comfort of your own home streamed in via the internet to your 3D HDTV with 7.1 Surround Sound. Now you have a much larger audience. Who do you think is the biggest Media company today? I'll give you a hint: it's a piece of fruit.

Don't underestimate the power of Music (rather than power of cheese:<)

Your own first post?

What about it? He didn't say he regretted it or that he didn't. He just acknowledged that he sold them & he came across, to me anyway, rather flip about the subject without expanding any further.

Edited to add:

There's no real conclusions to draw upon it either way. We're all just speculating on how he might feel about it.

What about it? He didn't say he regretted it or that he didn't. He just acknowledged that he sold them & he came across, to me anyway, rather flip about the subject without expanding any further.

Edited to add:

There's no real conclusions to draw upon it either way. We're all just speculating on how he might feel about it.

Quite. And the fact that he chuckled about it just suggested (that's all) that he wasn't too broken up about it.

He did mention it on the Letterman show once too, when Letterman mentioned his songs (with Zep) and he said something to the effect of "they're Jimmy's songs, really." Someone will remember--I know there was debate about that in the past.

I do wonder that if he did in fact sell his royalties back to Atlantic, that if it the sale of his royalties was part of a bartering deal between Plant & Atlantic starting up Plant's Es Paranza label. Maybe he funded the label with the monies from it? It was in that time period. I may be completely off but it's thought. If in anyway that was the case I could see that as a worthwhile reason to sell the royalties off rather than buying some Morroccan rugs to hang in his manor. It would be a completely reasonable investment for his future.

Archived