Favorite/Best version of Since I've Been Loving You

1 hour ago, IpMan said:

That is a really hard choice because for me there are two completely different versions of this song. The version where Jones plays Hammond and the version where he plays grand piano and the two sound, and are approached very differently by the band. Some of Jones piano work in those latter versions is brilliant and he works as a co-soloist against Page. However the versions on Hammond are typically more haunting.

Tough call...too tough.

Fun fact: Jonesy plays the Hammond for the last time (to my knowledge) in San Diego 6/19/77. Not the best gig, Jimmy and Bonzo either just woke up or hadn't slept in a week, or luudes... Still a hot show, Plants voice is awesome.

Tough call, there's so many good versions. I honestly don't think the band ever did a truly bad version of this song. Among my favorites:

3/7/70

3/21/70

9/19/70 (evening)

9/29/71

6/27/72

3/24/73

TSRTS

3/21/75

6/23/77 (LOVE the long note that Robert holds at the beginning)

2 hours ago, Dirty Work said:

Fun fact: Jonesy plays the Hammond for the last time (to my knowledge) in San Diego 6/19/77. Not the best gig, Jimmy and Bonzo either just woke up or hadn't slept in a week, or luudes... Still a hot show, Plants voice is awesome.

Didn't know that about the Hammond organ. That's interesting!

I actually think Jimmy is in good shape for this show, especially for 77. The problem is Bonzo. He had food poisoning at this show, which accounts for his erratic playing. He throws the band off constantly, and they plod through just about every song. Shame because the rest of the band were fired up. This is why Plant says "we'd like to welcome back to the world John Bonham who had a terrible bout of food poisoning" on LTTE.

In fact, I think this is the reason why he's so explosive at that show. He knew he fucked up at the San Diego show, and wanted to put in 110% for the LA shows to make up for it. If that is indeed the case, you almost wish he had a couple more off nights! :lol:

4 hours ago, Dirty Work said:

Jimmy sounds fine but Bonzo...WTF??? He is so far behind the beat he could be the janitorial staff. That has got to be the slowest version I have ever heard of any Zep tune. I have never heard Bonzo play so slow, sluggish, and laborious. Robert does sound great though.

15 minutes ago, IpMan said:

Jimmy sounds fine but Bonzo...WTF??? He is so far behind the beat he could be the janitorial staff. That has got to be the slowest version I have ever heard of any Zep tune. I have never heard Bonzo play so slow, sluggish, and laborious. Robert does sound great though.

LOL. Damn, that is a slow drag there at the start but the tempo actually picks up as it goes. Bonzo and Page are out of sync on the intro, sounds like Jimmy comes in first and Bonzo sluggishly catches up. At least it doesn't train wreck, it actually has kind of a menacing funk vibe to it at this tempo. I seem to remember several songs are at a slower tempo on this show because Bonham was ill (drunk) but the vibe of this show is excellent IMO. Page plays great and Plant's singing is as good as it gets for 77. Kashmir is great from this concert, even though its fairly slow, it doesn't drag. Bonzo kept it together and powered through. Not too many gigs where he didn't deliver a solid performance considering all the abuse to his system. 

7 hours ago, IpMan said:

I feel bad for the people who were at that show, but Bonham actually holds it together pretty well considering the food poisoning.  I can't imagine getting through a 3+ hour show with food poisoning--especially with how demanding Zeppelin stuff can be on the drummer!  I'm surprised that they didn't reschedule to be honest; the drummer is easily the worst member of the band to have an off night.

10 minutes ago, Bonzo_fan said:

I feel bad for the people who were at that show, but Bonham actually holds it together pretty well considering the food poisoning.  I can't imagine getting through a 3+ hour show with food poisoning--especially with how demanding Zeppelin stuff can be on the drummer!  I'm surprised that they didn't reschedule to be honest; the drummer is easily the worst member of the band to have an off night.

Was food poisoning the official excuse? Reports I've read from people who attended said Bonzo was clearly drunk and feel over backwards once or twice, maybe during the acoustic set. Regardless, he played a 2 hour plus gig ...Kudos to Bonzo for trooping through it! 

Edited by porgie66

1 hour ago, No Quota said:

I've always kinda liked the 80's version with Munich at the top of my list. For those who like the solo, you get two for one on this tour and this one has a meloncholy blues and a sadness that is unique. 

http://starship.jpn.ph/zeppelin/beauty/disp/boot.jsp?R_idx=74

Great version and great sounding boot. Too bad those dopes slow-clap in the beginning otherwise it would be perfect. Your right about the melancholy feel. They all really let it bleed on this one and Plant sounds really good, but also pained. Beautiful.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I think I've found my new favorite version of SIBLY...Tokyo, Japan 9-23-71.

Recording is excellent, Robert is fantastic, Jimmy's solo is perfect, Bonham's drumming is phenomenal and Jones' organ is hypnotizing. Dramatic and powerful is an understatement for this performance.

3 hours ago, ZepHead315 said:

I think I've found my new favorite version of SIBLY...Tokyo, Japan 9-23-71.

Recording is excellent, Robert is fantastic, Jimmy's solo is perfect, Bonham's drumming is phenomenal and Jones' organ is hypnotizing. Dramatic and powerful is an understatement for this performance.

I agree.  Page's execution and feeling, Plants voice, Jones delivery of so much feeling with the B3. There are a couple minor gaffs on this version though , but all in all a really great one. The 77 tour versions are no match for this IMO. 

On April 18, 2017 at 3:30 PM, ZepHead315 said:

Tough call, there's so many good versions. I honestly don't think the band ever did a truly bad version of this song. Among my favorites:

3/7/70

3/21/70

9/19/70 (evening)

9/29/71

6/27/72

3/24/73

TSRTS

3/21/75

6/23/77 (LOVE the long note that Robert holds at the beginning)

Didn't know that about the Hammond organ. That's interesting!

I actually think Jimmy is in good shape for this show, especially for 77. The problem is Bonzo. He had food poisoning at this show, which accounts for his erratic playing. He throws the band off constantly, and they plod through just about every song. Shame because the rest of the band were fired up. This is why Plant says "we'd like to welcome back to the world John Bonham who had a terrible bout of food poisoning" on LTTE.

In fact, I think this is the reason why he's so explosive at that show. He knew he fucked up at the San Diego show, and wanted to put in 110% for the LA shows to make up for it. If that is indeed the case, you almost wish he had a couple more off nights! :lol:

Now that you mention it, Jimmy is playing very well 6/19/77. I never noticed it out of the 100 times I've listened to it, but you're right. I guess Bonzo is such the distraction. Robert does pretty well too, but I gotta give it to Jimmy.

Edited by Dirty Work

On 6/1/2017 at 4:28 AM, Dirty Work said:

Now that you mention it, Jimmy is playing very well 6/19/77. I never noticed it out of the 100 times I've listened to it, but you're right. I guess Bonzo is such the distraction. Robert does pretty well too, but I gotta give it to Jimmy.

Bonzo is so out of it on 6/19 that it's hard to focus on anything else. Jimmy having an off night can be overlooked and, depending on your preferences, the same could be said for Plant. But if the drummer is out of it, it's going to disrupt the whole band. Jimmy and Robert are indeed having a fantastic night for 6/19. Just imagine if Bonzo had been as "on" as he had been in LA later that week!

15 hours ago, blindwillie127 said:

Vienna '73. Page and Bonham's playing sways between soft, aggressive and vicious. Its just fucking mean! One of my fav's

As does Pagey's. One of the top 3 without doubt.

Robert's best performance of the song to me is the Vancouver 1970 (Pure Blues/Mudslide) version. My favorite overall performance is Osaka 71. Page plays in a much darker mood on this one. For a speedier, livelier version- Orlando 71.

On June 8, 2017 at 11:29 AM, blindwillie127 said:

Vienna '73. Page and Bonham's playing sways between soft, aggressive and vicious. Its just fucking mean! One of my fav's

Dude you definitely just found one of the best versions of SIBLY. Forgot about that one, sometimes audience recordings are overlooked. Forgot the quality of that recording too. Not far from a soundboard really. Impressive, sounds like 1971 or 1972 Zeppelin. Sounds like they were balls to the wall too, wonder if they were recording?

On ‎6‎/‎10‎/‎2017 at 1:27 AM, chillumpuffer said:

Yes Berkeley. I love the "Going to California" recording.

...found the one I was looking for, didn't know you were fond of GTC while this one is not Berkeley maybe you will find it worth while

On 6/15/2017 at 9:24 PM, Dallas Knebs said:

...found the one I was looking for, didn't know you were fond of GTC while this one is not Berkeley maybe you will find it worth while

He was talking about the "Going to California" bootleg not the song. The 9.14.71 Berkeley show was released on vinyl under the title of "Going to California". Just as 6.21.71 will always be known as "Listen to this, Eddie", 9.14.71 will always be "Going to California".

And it has a killer SIBLY.

"Since I've Been Loving You" was always a song I enjoyed. I loved the album version and I loved it in concert. So all 11 versions I saw would make the list.

Others are

And since it is the 40th anniversary of the 1977 tour, here are two of my favourite SIBLYs from that tour.

Edited by Strider