Favorite/Best version of Since I've Been Loving You

I really like Milan  1971.  It's another  one of plants best vocals for that song. I love how the  tape distorts when plants let's that amazing scream rip after the solo . September 24 71 in Tokyo is another great one.  Belfast in March 71 is another blistering version and a tip shelf plant vocal. Manchester 71 is excellent  as well  with plant owning it vocally.  Melbourne  and Brisbane on the 72 Aussie tour are  2 great overlooked versions . Auckland new Zealand is one of my all time favorites as well  . Vocally all three of those are extremely powerfull  and are among the best plant  delivered on stage for that song. They are much more powerful than many of the 1971 versions and the Aussie tour is the last time plant was able to sing that song with that much range power and intensity.   Pages playing and tone  has a sound and vibe thst reminds me alot of the more raw versions from August and September of 1970.  Alot of poeple mention the june 19 72 version which is amazing  but i think the june 18th version is just as great and is my favorite from the 72 u s tour. It's another one that puts me in mind of the latter 1970 versions.

• 4 months later...
On 2/8/2010 at 6:37 AM, johnlennon696 said:

Even though it is edited :angry: , the TSRTS version is still my fave i think, but the LA Forum 21st/23rd 1977 versions are also brilliant imo B)

I've heard about 10 versions at this point and the version you mentioned from LA on the 23/6/77 (I know it as "For Badge Holders Only"). is head and shoulders above the rest IMO. I have had some moments listening to this version, I will never forget. Plant sings like an angel. It is my 2nd favourite version of any song of all time.

Wow, no mention of the one from the 3/21/1970 broadcast from Vancouver? One of, if not the finest vocal performance of the song from Plant, captured stunningly with his voice in the front of the mix. I've never heard it sound so raw and emotional, and a lot of that has to do with how Plant sings it out of his MIND that night.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...
On 1/23/2019 at 9:34 PM, gibsonfan159 said:

I don't know about overall performance, but I listened to "How the east was won" again today and the SIBLY solo is just unreal.

It is indeed, and very unique.

I've really been getting into the live versions of this lately, much more than I have before, and two versions that I haven't seen mentioned here that have struck me in my listening the past month or so are:

May 14, 1973 - New Orleans

June 22, 1977 - Los Angeles

The BBC Sessions version is one of the best ever. It has a uniqueness about the sound and the emotion of it. A few live versions from different era's are brilliant, but the BBC Sessions one is like an alternative studio take. It stands alone. Whether it stands above all others - hard to say.

June 23rd, 1977 - Holy Shit! The whole band is focused and hotter than a nuclear furnace but Jimmy...oh Jimmy! He is simply on another planet here, not just excellent playing but very unique as well, he throws a LOT of insane runs followed up by subtlety just to knock you on your ass again and again. Brilliant.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 10 months later...
On 2/7/2010 at 2:40 PM, Squeeze My Lemons said:

i dont think there is a better performance than from TSRTS album. It may even be the best performance of any song by them.

I agree. It is their masterpiece. Very intense blues, lightning fast playing by Page in the introduction and solo

All of them.

SIBLY was one of my favourite songs to hear in concert and the song took on many different colours through the years in concert.

The early years had Jones using a Hammond B3 organ. Then there was the Hammond/Fender Rhodes combo years. Then Fender Rhodes only. And finally, the grand piano years.

Jimmy's approach to the song also gave variety to the song in concert, so that it never became rote. There were the soft intros, much like the album version. Then in late '72-73, when the song was hitched to the end of "Misty Mountain Hop", Jimmy fired off those blazing aggressive intros. Jimmy could take the solo in any direction any night. Some nights he would come in slowly...like a lamb. Other nights he came in like a lion. Even his chordings would vary...I love some of the arpeggios he would do in the chorus right before the solo.

Bonham also had different approaches to the song that kept things from getting stale and kept the band on their toes.

Plant obviously had voice problems in 1973 and 1975 that keep his vocals from matching the peaks of 1970-72 and even 1977. But since SIBLY was quite a few songs into the set in 1973 and 1975, Plant's voice was usually warmed up enough by then so that it never sounded as bad as it did on "Rock and Roll" on those tours.

Every SIBLY I saw from 1972 to 1977 was a highlight. The Page-Plant ones in 1995 were great, too. Just about every bootleg I listen to from 1970 to 1979 has a SIBLY that is wonderful.

Even the 1980 SIBLYs are generally good and kind of unique with Jimmy's 1980 tone and Jonesy's piano...though I would have preferred they substitute "Tea For One" in the setlist by then.

Basically, throw a dart at any of Led Zeppelin's concerts from 1970 onward and you're going to hit a SIBLY that is fantastic.

On 5/21/2020 at 4:50 PM, Strider said:

Plant obviously had voice problems in 1973 and 1975 that keep his vocals from matching the peaks of 1970-72 and even 1977. But since SIBLY was quite a few songs into the set in 1973 and 1975, Plant's voice was usually warmed up enough by then so that it never sounded as bad as it did on "Rock and Roll" on those tours.

Indeed.  I was listening to Ft. Worth '73 a few days ago for the anniversary, and Plant's screech at the end of Page's solo is epic!

• 9 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

If you're looking for an outstanding soundboard version, check out the May 18th, Dallas version. It's really something (despite JPJ's fractured ribs 😉). Arguably the best from that tour and definitively better than TSRTS rendition! You can easily find the incomplete tape in lossless format; there's a DADGAD remaster. There are a lot of good versions of SIBLY, but I think this one is my favorite.

It's a shame most of the US '73 tour soundboard tapes sound so dry. "Oh my tears, they fell like rain..."

21 hours ago, dullarmor said:

If you're looking for an outstanding soundboard version, check out the May 18th, Dallas version. It's really something (despite JPJ's fractured ribs 😉). Arguably the best from that tour and definitively better than TSRTS rendition! You can easily find the incomplete tape in lossless format; there's a DADGAD remaster. There are a lot of good versions of SIBLY, but I think this one is my favorite.

It's a shame most of the US '73 tour soundboard tapes sound so dry. "Oh my tears, they fell like rain..."

Thanks! I haven't got that date. Just tried that clip you linked, my God, how dry is that board!!! Someone get it a glass of water ffs....

It is crying out for some remix attention to give it some depth - take that edge off.

9 minutes ago, rm2551 said:

Thanks! I haven't got that date. Just tried that clip you linked, my God, how dry is that board!!! Someone get it a glass of water ffs....

It is crying out for some remix attention to give it some depth - take that edge off.

Check out the Dadgad remaster. It's still got some of the inherent dryness, but it sounds much better: