Led Zeppelin Photo Mysteries

SteveAJones

This is what I found, but there are not many details.

http://bradelterman....t-party-for-the

Well, thanks for that as it gave me a few leads to go on.

First thing was couldn't be 1976 as photographer stated because The Faces last tour ran August 15-November 1 1975 (Ron Wood formally joined the Rolling Stones on Dec 19, 1975).

Closest concert to LA that The Faces played was Anaheim Convention Center on August 30, 1975, and this post-concert party was most likely held immediately afterward before the tour continued in San Diego the following night. The photo is tagged by Elterman as The Green House - perhaps that is the name of the place where party was held. I've been unable to confirm.

Knowing that, I confirmed Page & Plant arrived in Malibu in August '75 to begin writing for the next album. Bonham and Jones joined Page & Plant in Los Angeles in Sept 75 for studio rehearsals on Presence which ran thru baseball's 1975 World Series (Oct 1975).

Bob Dylan was living in Malibu in '75 and not on tour at this time.

Rod Stewart was also living in Malibu at this time, enamored with actress Britt Ekland. He released his sixth album,

'Crossing the Atlantic', on August 15, 1975.

Paul McCartney launched his Wings Over The World tour in Southampton, England on Sept 9, 1975.

Gregg Allman & Cher married in 1975 and were living in Los Angeles. Gregg worked on his 'Win, Lose or Draw' album at The Record Plant studio in LA from Feb-Jul '75. By August '75 they were expecting their first child.

Edited by SteveAJones

This is from the New York Times, so i guess it's from New York but any more info would be much appreciated

zepplin3.jpg

Plant's "shirt" was only worn on the '75 tour, so if this was published in the New York Times it could well be from one of their February 1975 shows in New York. Was it published in a specific edition of New York Times? If so, what date?

Plant's "shirt" was only worn on the '75 tour, so if this was published in the New York Times it could well be from one of their February 1975 shows in New York. Was it published in a specific edition of New York Times? If so, what date?

no info on this one I'm afraid, the snapper is Larry C. Morris

Not the red snapper Steve! rolleyes.gif

I've just trawled through untold 1975 Zep related articles from the NYT and can't find any reference, mind you without coughing up loadsa cash I only get to see the first paragraph of each...

Well, I don't see it in the official timeline, nor in my files. I do have a John Rockwell review of their Feb 3, 1975 concert published in The New York Times on Feb 4, 1975 that isn't in the timeline either, but it's packed away in storage at the moment (hasn't been scanned yet). Perhaps it was published with the review. Unfortunately, photographer is deceased:

Larry Morris, 63, Dies; A Times Photographer

Published: August 24, 1987

Larry C. Morris, a New York Times photographer since 1950, died yesterday, apparently of a heart attack, while playing volleyball at a swim club near his home in Teaneck, N.J. He was 63 years old.

Mr. Morris was taken to Holy Name Hospital in Teaneck, where a spokesman said an autopsy was scheduled to establish the exact cause of death.

Born in the Bronx, he was a graduate of James Monroe High School in that borough and of the School for Modern Photography. He joined The Times in 1943, working initially as a copy boy in the photography laboratory.

Shortly afterward, he was called into the Navy and served in the Pacific on an aircraft carrier a member of an antiaircraft gun crew. After his honorable discharge in 1946, he returned to The Times and in 1950 was named a staff photographer.

Mr. Morris won several awards for his published photographs, which ranged from a portrayal of the intense concentration of a performing musician to sports in action. His most recent award was a first place citation from the New York Press Photographers Association for a photograph showing New York Mets players rushing onto the field at the end of the last game of the 1986 World Series.

Mr. Morris is survived by his wife, Geraldine; three sons, Wayne, of Long Island City, Queens, and David and Phillip, of Teaneck; a daughter, Patricia, of Teaneck; a sister, Barbara Picoult of Ridgefield, N.J., and two brothers, Jerome, of Palm Coast, Fla., and Abraham, of Douglaston, Queens.

Edited by SteveAJones

I can't get over these pics from the Roy Harper show with Bonzo on guitar. Am I seeing things? Is he just fooling around or can he play? Are there reviews or recordings of this?

What's the story here?

bonzo74_badco.jpg

Rainbow Theatre in London, February 14, 1974

Harper's album Valentine was released on Valentine's Day, February 14, 1974 and featured contributions from Jimmy Page. A concert to mark its release was held on the same day, at London's Rainbow Theatre with Page, Bedford, Max Middleton (of The Jeff Beck Group) on keyboard, Ronnie Lane on bass and Keith Moon on drums. The live album Flashes From the Archives of Oblivion, recorded at that concert, soon followed.

Bonzo had attended this gig with Jimmy and the photo proves he was definitely onstage strumming an acoustic guitar. However, as I recall his guitar was not miked up and his strumming isn't audible on the recording.

Edited by SteveAJones

Rainbow Theatre in London, February 14, 1974

Harper's album Valentine was released on Valentine's Day, February 14, 1974 and featured contributions from Jimmy Page. A concert to mark its release was held on the same day, at London's Rainbow Theatre with Page, Bedford, Max Middleton (of The Jeff Beck Group) on keyboard, Ronnie Lane on bass and Keith Moon on drums. The live album Flashes From the Archives of Oblivion, recorded at that concert, soon followed.

Bonzo had attended this gig with Jimmy and the photo proves he was definitely onstage strumming an acoustic guitar. However, as I recall his guitar was not miked up and his strumming isn't audible on the recording.

lz19740214_01.jpg

lz19740214_02.jpg

lz19740214_05.jpg

lz19740214_06.jpg

lz19740214_07.jpg

Robert Plant was also in attendance as MC for the evening.

Setlist:

1. Same Old Rock

2. Male Chauvinist Pig Blues

3. Too Many Movies

4. Home

The others performed under the monniker of "The Intergalactic Elephant Band".

lz19740214_01.jpg

lz19740214_02.jpg

lz19740214_05.jpg

lz19740214_06.jpg

lz19740214_07.jpg

Robert Plant was also in attendance as MC for the evening.

Setlist:

1. Same Old Rock

2. Male Chauvinist Pig Blues

3. Too Many Movies

4. Home

The others performed under the monniker of "The Intergalactic Elephant Band".

These are from that too. :D

panini197460a.jpg

jp275.jpg

jpj1978xxxx_02.jpg

Any idea on a date & location for these??

I believe those were taken in the backyard and on the staircase at his home, Straw Hat in Rickmansworth. It's nicknamed Straw Hat by the locals because of the odd-shaped roof. I believe there is an excellent b&w photo of it in the book Follow the Legend - Led Zeppelin, my copy of which is not accessible at the moment.

These photos were also taken at Straw Hat:

-

Edited by admin
Photos removed. Copyright complaint from Michael Randoplh