Led Zeppelin Photo Mysteries

SteveAJones

Didn't you say over at R-O that JPJ had sold this house a long time ago (mid 70s?). That would narrow down WHEN the pictures were taken.

JPJ has some wisdom to his face. He looks old than in those color pictures that you had posted. It's a mystery!!

The brickwork on both sets seems to match. The photos you posted look circa '76-'77 to me.

Hi Steve! wave.gif

Any idea where the images are from? I can send you a link to the piece (the pin) if you want to check out what the description states.

Ever onward.

Robert

www.behindthetoys.com

Hi Robert. The first was possibly taken in New York circa '76-'77. As I recall there are other photos of Jimmy wearing that suit around then and isn't she the same woman photographed walking with him outside Plaza Hotel in June '77?

To my eyes the second photo is not Jimmy Page but some sort of tribute act. The "Jimmy" in that photo seems to have a different jaw line and frizzy hair. The scarab he's wearing looks smaller than the one the real Jimmy wore. The singer

looks familiar too - is this possibly the Led Zeppelin convention held in New Jersey in Sep 1988?

Hi Robert. The first was possibly taken in New York circa '76-'77. As I recall there are other photos of Jimmy wearing that suit around then and isn't she the same woman photographed walking with him outside Plaza Hotel in June '77?

To my eyes the second photo is not Jimmy Page but some sort of tribute act. The "Jimmy" in that photo seems to have a different jaw line and frizzy hair. The scarab he's wearing looks smaller than the one the real Jimmy wore. The singer

looks familiar too - is this possibly the Led Zeppelin convention held in New Jersey in Sep 1988?

I watched a video of this band the other day (re 2nd pic) I'll seek it out, and yes a tribute band

The first picture looks more like '72-'73 when Jimmy wore that suit with the white hat outside the airport. His hair looks like it does in '73 too.

Edited by aen27

I believe those were taken in the backyard and on the staircase at his home, Straw Hat in Rickmansworth. It's nicknamed Straw Hat by the locals because of the odd-shaped roof. I believe there is an excellent b&w photo of it in the book Follow the Legend - Led Zeppelin, my copy of which is not accessible at the moment.

These photos were also taken at Straw Hat:

Courtesy Steve A. Jones Archive

Steve werent some pics from this session in Michael Randolph's Robert Plant Through The Mirror book?

Knneby

Can I ask you how you know that they are groupies?

They could just as easily be friends or fans or even relatives.

I don't know if they're groupies, but clasped so with robert have to suspect it? :)

Well no - you don't really. I'm sure you have seen pictures of many people in similar poses who weren't groupie-with-target. I have seen many pics of Robert exactly like this with women who were just his mates. I think it's really degrading to class the women as such without even knowing who they are or the story of their friendship with him. If you had the chance to have a similar pic taken with him I think it would really bother you to be dismissed as a "groupie" by people who know nothing AT ALL about you.

Steve,

Any guesses on this photo?

Thanks

2lictmo.jpg

It's difficult to discern if this is a photgraph or video capture. My guess is a hotel or restaurant as that seems to be a menu standing upright on the table. Is that a bottle of Newcastle Brown Ale? Does his clothing match that of the very brief clip of him walking thru a hotel lobby on the Led Zeppelin DVD (2003)? Someone told me the name of that hotel

once yet the name escapes me. Blakes in London? I'm guessing on the hotel name...I simply can't remember.

Not all of them - just a couple. But unmistakably same session. Plus one of Bonzo.

For some reason this reminds me Diamanda Galas stayed with Jones and family from Feb-Apr 1994 to work on 'The Sporting Life' with him yet I've never seen any photographs from those sessions. Surely some snaps were taken, if only for their family photo archive?

Edited to add a great JPJ quip from several years ago:

"Life's too short to go looking for photos of oneself".

laugh.gif

Edited by SteveAJones

For some reason this reminds me Diamanda Galas stayed with Jones and family from Feb-Apr 1994 to work on 'The Sporting Life' with him yet I've never seen any photographs from those sessions. Surely some snaps were taken, if

only for their family photo archive?

You are probably right Steve but there's no reason why they'd be made public - can't think of many public shots from such family-type sessions for many years.