Led Zeppelin Photo Mysteries

SteveAJones

11 hours ago, sam_webmaster said:

I have the original magazine  somewhere.... They're taken in Hamburg. Not sure who the woman is.

7 hours ago, SteveAJones said:

Possibly a fan backstage prior to the show. Here's another:

http://www.ledzeppelin.com/image/hamburg-1970-backstage 

Thank you both for this. Fascinating stuff!

6 hours ago, 76229 said:

Isn't it Pat Bonham with them? Every time I see that photo I can almost hear my mum saying "if the wind changes you'll stay like that!"

No idea. I did a quick Google search and all I could find of Pat were either poor quality images or recent photos. I guess I'll wait for the experts to weigh in, though I doubt it's her since they would probably have known! ;)

• 2 months later...

Ok. I simply HAVE to know more about the photo below. All I could find was a caption that says "Robert Plant of Led Zeppelin performing on stage in 1972 wearing a joke mask and holding up a cutout of Homepride Fred. January 01, 1972" I'm pretty sure the date is wrong. Does anyone know when/where this was specifically taken? And what's the story behind him wearing the mask? Or the cutout for that matter? :hysterical:

robert-plant-of-led-zeppelin-performing-on-stage-in-1972-wearing-a-picture-id653007306

Edited by ZepHead315

• Administrators
12 hours ago, ZepHead315 said:

Ok. I simply HAVE to know more about the photo below. All I could find was a caption that says "Robert Plant of Led Zeppelin performing on stage in 1972 wearing a joke mask and holding up a cutout of Homepride Fred. January 01, 1972" I'm pretty sure the date is wrong. Does anyone know when/where this was specifically taken? And what's the story behind him wearing the mask? Or the cutout for that matter? :hysterical:

robert-plant-of-led-zeppelin-performing-on-stage-in-1972-wearing-a-picture-id653007306

It's Newcastle 1972. There was a Monty Python theme/vibe that night. Also have a backstage pic of the whole band wearing masks, if I can find it....

1972-newcastle-2jb.jpg

• 9 months later...
  • Administrators
On 4/6/2018 at 12:44 PM, SteveAJones said:

Robert Plant with Brian May & Roger Taylor. Where and when?

withbriandroger.jpg

This was taken at a gig by Roger Taylor's side band, The Cross, in London - March 10, 1988, Town and Country Club . Robert and Brian attended.

• 1 month later...
6 hours ago, John M said:

I am sure this not a mystery to many here, but I am wondering who is in the photo with Maureen, Carmen, and Karac?  One of the road crew?

1233178412_1977June12DailyNews2.thumb.jpg.5076b9b8067d0b88f4945994f9c6fc2f.jpg

I believe it's Dennis Sheehan, who was Robert's assistant while on tour.

Dennis & Bonzo accompanied Robert back to England the following month.

http://www.latimes.com/entertainment/music/posts/la-et-ms-robert-plant-dennis-sheehan-tour-manager-led-zeppelin-u2-20150528-story.html

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/obituaries/dennis-sheehan-tour-manager-who-kept-led-zeppelin-s-worst-excesses-in-check-before-becoming-a-10287969.html

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/obituaries/11660015/Dennis-Sheehan-tour-manager-obituary.html

On 5/19/2018 at 2:29 PM, SteveAJones said:

Steve, thank you for sharing so much information.  Dennis had an amazing career.  

On 4/27/2017 at 7:30 AM, sam_webmaster said:

I have the original magazine  somewhere.... They're taken in Hamburg. Not sure who the woman is.

On 4/26/2017 at 6:31 PM, ZepHead315 said:

I'm sure some of you all have seen this photo before (it's in the Crazy and Funny photos thread, as well as the Band Photos thread), but I haven't seen any real discussions about the story behind it (unless I missed it). When/where was this taken? Who is the woman with them?

zeppelinfunny.jpg

Also found a second, larger image from the same time:

1194137904_f.jpg

Could it be Carol Cleveland?   it would explain the weird faces.

• 3 months later...
On ‎5‎/‎23‎/‎2018 at 2:47 AM, hercoflex said:

Amen to that, LZ 77!

Until then, who is this?

JPand.jpg

The October 12, 1974 issue of New Musical Express (UK) published "Win Jimmy Page's Guitar plus L 300 Worth of Orange Gear or 10 Classy Fender Acoustics", an article pertaining to  'NME' Spot The Guitar Competition, the Grand Prize being a Gretsch guitar owned by Jimmy Page.

The January 18, 1975 issue of New Musical Express (UK) published this photo of the contest winner being presented the guitar by Jimmy Page at the Swan Song Records office at 484 Kings Road in Chelsea.

Sharing a recent discussion elsewhere:

1731275162_CreditBradElterman.thumb.jpg.2a4f33f700a2e1917dd873af7bf07acb.jpg39762337_2080996575266819_1354188684324241408_n.jpg.a6907a67fe40c62c68987d7f1d0c66af.jpg39724985_2080920215274455_9211403234311143424_n.jpg.6376c885693a3a4bd1b5d7c0a15c374b.jpg

Photo Credit #1: Donald Elterman

Photo Credits #2 & 3: Richard Creamer

"I was living with my parents in Sherman Oaks and one day I got this frantic message from my pal and fellow photographer Richard Creamer telling me that Robert Plant from Led Zeppelin was kicking a soccer ball down the street from me in Encino! Plant was in town with Led Zeppelin playing a string of sold-out concerts at The Forum in Los Angeles. I showed up and there he was right in front of my eyes glaring right into the lens of my camera. He was prancing around the field in a pair of Speedos and clearly NOT happy that I was taking his photo! He came up to me (with his surly roadies acting as bodyguards) and demanded my business card. "I want your business card," he screamed and then threatened me that I would never work again in Los Angeles; but hey, it was my town. It is an incredible rush when a major star tells you that you will never work again. I really hope that one day we can meet for a coffee and have a laugh about this afternoon and our good friend, Richard Creamer" -- Donald Elterman

According to my notes, these photos were possibly Saturday, June 18, 1977. Robert had joined Rod Stewart for a game of soccer and after the soccer match he went to Stewart's house near Malibu Beach to watch tapes of English soccer matches. Then they went to an English pub. -- Steve A. Jones

"Hi, Steve. I used to call on a pub called Bangers on Reseda Blvd (for SWS) and was lucky enough to meet Rod several times there ( It's the Dark Horse now). Rod told me they would play soccer up at the duck park (Reseda Blvd & Victory). I wonder if this is where this took place". -- Donald Elterman

"I wonder if that English pub was Ye Olde Kings Head in Santa Monica! Used to go there frequently." -- Jane Snyder Pecorella

SAJ edited to add: I've just pulled up Reseda Park on Google maps, but it doesn't seem to be a match given the proximity of those homes in the background. This is possibly somewhere in Encino but unable to match it. 

Edited by SteveAJones

11 hours ago, SteveAJones said:

SAJ edited to add: I've just pulled up Reseda Park on Google maps, but it doesn't seem to be a match given the proximity of those homes in the background. This is possibly somewhere in Encino but unable to match it. 

That's the Balboa Soccer Fields on Balboa in Encino. Bangers/Dark Horse is 3-4 miles away, down Balboa>Burbank>Reseda.

https://goo.gl/maps/txU5GvAwRDK2