Led Zeppelin Photo Mysteries

SteveAJones

Steve - in the Live section, Tempe '77 thread, there is a question of where the band stayed. Some say the Camelback Inn, another Edgewater in Seattle.

Do you know?

According to my notes it was the Cambelback Inn...they only stayed at the Edgewater Inn in Seattle for the Kingdome date.

• 2 weeks later...

From another forum here. I've seen this photo before and I know the person with JP was identified as a member of some band but for the life of me I can't remember any details or find them in my own notes. anyone?

10676366_10203618961573534_2797791256176

Edited by lif

• 3 months later...

c167492190d181adc35b80baedf48b63_zps1711

When & where was this taken?

Update:

The original uncropped photo can be found here:

http://www.teletunez.com/gallery/

Jimmy is photographed with Brian Wayy, a music producer, etc. When the file is saved the site names it SARM, which is a somewhat famous studio in Notting Hill (London). There is another photo in that gallery showing a studio scheduling board

with The Firm booked in Studio One from Sat, the 19th to Fri, 25th. That calendar sequence occurs four times during The

Firm's era: Jan 1985, Oct 1985, Apr 1986, & Jul 1986.

We can throw out Apr 1986 because they were touring the states at that time, and we can throw out Jul 1986 because they were not producing or recording any material by that point. This leaves Jan 1985 or Oct 1985.

Sometime between Jan 1st-22nd 1985 Page did contribute to 'These Arms Of Mine' for Willie & The Poor Boys, featuring Paul Rodgers on vocals. However, it was done at The Sol and was only a one day session.

This leaves October 19-25 1985 as the most likely date of the photo. According to my notes The Firm did record the promo video

for Radioactive in NYC on October 12th, 1985, so perhaps this week of sessions at SARM were in support of that and/or other promo videos for The Firm. I shall put an inquiry forward to Brian Wayy seeking confirmation. It's possible the video director, Po (Aubrey Powell) may also have some recollection of these sessions.

From another forum here. I've seen this photo before and I know the person with JP was identified as a member of some band but for the life of me I can't remember any details or find them in my own notes. anyone?

10676366_10203618961573534_2797791256176

The event is the Classic Rock Roll Of Honour Awards held at London’s Roundhouse on Thursday November 14th 2013.

I can't remember his name either.

http://orangeampsblog.com/?p=232

That can't be right Steve the video for Radioactive had to have been done in 1984 not late 1985.

Update:

This leaves October 19-25 1985 as the most likely date of the photo. According to my notes The Firm did record the promo video

for Radioactive in NYC on October 12th, 1985, so perhaps this week of sessions at SARM were in support of that and/or other promo videos for The Firm. I shall put an inquiry forward to Brian Wayy seeking confirmation. It's possible the video director, Po (Aubrey Powell) may also have some recollection of these sessions.

That can't be right Steve the video for Radioactive had to have been done in 1984 not late 1985.

Come to think of it the album was released February 11, 1985 and radioactive was the first single, so the promo video would have had to have been filmed far earlier than Oct '85. Thus I wish to revise my most likely date for the photo to January 19-25 1985.

Unsure what now to make of my note (October 12, 1985) referring to Radioactive--could be an error or pertain to something else.

An interview with Page on the film set for 'Satisfaction Guaranteed' (the second single) aired on MTV in May 1985. MTV aired that program called Five From The Firm in February 1986...it features behind the scenes and on-set interview footage with each of the promo videos. It was later commercially released by Atlantic Records on VHS.

According to the Jan-Mar 1986 issue of 'From The Heart to the Heart' (a Firm fanzine) 'All The Kings Horses', 'Live In Peace' and 'Tear Down The Walls' were filmed on December 12, 1985.

• 3 weeks later...

Robert Plant w/ DJ Scott Muni - 1977

77-muni-rp.jpg

^^^

Interesting. There is a Scott Muni interview w/Page recorded on the rainy afternoon of June 9, 1977 at the WNEW FM studios, but as I recall Robert is not present. The interview is somewhat infamous because Page fell asleep right on the floor during it. Anyway, perhaps this is a shot of Robert as they stopped by to pick up Jimmy from the studio or around the time of that? I can't think of any Muni interview with Plant in '77, though there could have been.

Well, that was a marathon trawl through this thread. Slightly surprised not to see one pic in this vast treasure trove of obscure or little known images, which is of Jimmy supporting a local protest gathering to do with (from memory) Loch Ness. He is standing with a small crowd of people with a megaphone held to his mouth and is wearing what looks to be one of those Schott leather flight jackets. Maybe it is a known pic so not worthy of inclusion in this particular thread?

Cheers,

Indi

Well, that was a marathon trawl through this thread. Slightly surprised not to see one pic in this vast treasure trove of obscure or little known images, which is of Jimmy supporting a local protest gathering to do with (from memory) Loch Ness. He is standing with a small crowd of people with a megaphone held to his mouth and is wearing what looks to be one of those Schott leather flight jackets. Maybe it is a known pic so not worthy of inclusion in this particular thread?

Cheers,

Indi

It was a public appearance in Caithness, Scotland on April 30, 1979. There are a couple of photographs in circulation.

http://www.johnogroat-journal.co.uk/Features/It-was-hip-and-happening-in-Mey-in-1979-15102012.htm

http://www.undiscoveredscotland.co.uk/mey/phillipsharbour/index.html

• 2 weeks later...

I'm guessing this is during the 1974 tour. What are they watching on tv? Something dealing with Nixon's Watergate scandal and his subsequent impeachment?

In the second photo, Jones is coming to take a look as well as Jimmy points something out. They look too serious to be watching some cheap trash movie, or so seems.

They didn't tour in '74...this is probably Jan/Feb '75.

• 4 weeks later...

Any idea about this photo? It's perhaps made an appearance before, but I couldn't find it in the many entertaining pages on the forum. I'm more interested in the Roy Vombrack name and how this came to be taken. At the same gig or what. Wasn't Vombrack a bandleader/arranger/musician based for the most part in Chicago? A very neat photo regardless. 67'ish Yardbirds?

Never mind, tures out it was from the Cellar Teen Club of Arlington Heights on April 20, 1968 according to Vombrack.

post-525-0-42304600-1424999638_thumb.jpg

Edited by Mayqueen

Any idea about this photo? It's perhaps made an appearance before, but I couldn't find it in the many entertaining pages on the forum. I'm more interested in the Roy Vombrack name and how this came to be taken. At the same gig or what. Wasn't Vombrack a bandleader/arranger/musician based for the most part in Chicago? A very neat photo regardless. 67'ish Yardbirds?

Never mind, tures out it was from the Cellar Teen Club of Arlington Heights on April 20, 1968 according to Vombrack.

I was aware of a Chicago area gig in April '68 but the exact date and venue were unconfirmed until now. Thanks for the post.

I can't tell if it's from the same night, late 1983 (I think) but I had posted some photos here before that my friend took of Jimmy in a club from that same era, in a similar condition. I took the photos down from here out of respect for Jimmy. My friends and I have seen photos of Jimmy when he was in even a worse state but none of us will post them here now. In your first photo he wasn't being kicked out in the photo you posted - those were his minders, helping him out. As far as the second photo, that's the toll that substance abuse takes on someone (and we never would have dreamed it would ever come to that with him)...thankfully he survived and looks great today.

i would love to see more of the photos of him in that timeframe, but i understand if you don't feel comfortable showing them. i know that a lot of people don't like the way that he looked during the ARMS concerts but i actually thought he looked really great. i know he was just getting healthy and still had a ways to go but there was something very vulnerable and sweet about him in the concert and the photos.

• 1 month later...

Does anyone know why there seemingly are so few offstage photos of the band during the L.A. Forum run? There are a good number of offstage shots taken in New York earlier in the month. Is it just me? Surely there are photos from the after show party on the 23rd in the hills. What about the 26th - I wanna see Joney's strawberry tart dammit!?

Edited by ListenToThis

• 8 months later...