A Walk Down Memory Lane: The Houses of the Holy

SteveAJones

Rainbow Theatre in Finsbury Park

Jimmy Page/Roy Harper February 14, 1974........

Hartman Over the Rainbow/December 2009 Issue 124

In 1971, Richard Hartman played a major role in establishing an exciting new London music venue. He told Jerry Gilbert the full story...

http://www.tpimagazi...he_rainbow.html

http://i642.photobucket.com/albums/uu141/planetPage_bucket/RainbowJP.jpg]http://RainbowJP.jpg

The Finsbury Park Astoria in its original guise, complete with the Andalucian village scenery that was preserved for the Rainbow.

Edited by PlanetPage

• 1 month later...
  • Administrators

Knebworth House rocked to its foundations

Cancellation of music festival leaves owner struggling to pay for essential repair work

Knebworth, the stately home which has rocked to Led Zeppelin, Pink Floyd and Oasis, faces a "huge hole" in its finances after the cancellation of a festival to have been headlined by Queen.

Martha Lytton-Cobbold, who manages the gothic Hertfordshire mansion which has been home to the Lytton family since 1490, is counting the cost of the decision to axe Sonisphere, a three-day heavy rock event which was due to take place in July. Poor ticket sales contributed to the cancellation of the festival, which was to have been headlined by Queen, with their new singer Adam Lambert, and also feature the bands Kiss and Faith No More.

First employed as a rock venue in the mid-70s, income from events staged at Knebworth Park bowl, which can accommodate 125,000 fans, has provided vital funds for repair work to the home, which was placed on English Heritage's register of buildings at risk in 2010.

English Heritage is encouraging land-owning aristocrats to use live concerts as an income-raising tool. The Duchess of Northumberland invited Status Quo and Jools Holland to play at Alnwick Castle and created a Harry Potter tour to cash in on its role as Hogwarts in the film series.

Profits from Sonisphere, first staged in 2009, are needed to complete a £9.2m restoration programme to halt the decay of Knebworth House and of valuable artefacts in its 28 acres of landscaped gardens. The Cobbold family may have to leave the Grade II* listed building if it cannot maintain the estate.

Mrs Cobbold said: "Losing Sonisphere has left a huge hole in our financial projections. But there is a lot of economic instability which affected ticket sales and the promoters took an intelligent decision to cancel this year."

Proceeds from Robbie Williams' shows at Knebworth in 2003, which sold out, allowed the Cobbolds to build a new mainline sewage connection around the grounds. Further essential work will now have to be delayed.

A Red Hot Chili Peppers show in June is unaffected and the house and gardens will be open to the public in July.

But the proceeds will not make up for the unsold £145 weekend tickets offered to 60,000 heavy metal campers. These appear to have opted instead for Sonisphere's rival, the Download Festival, held at Donington Park in June and featuring Metallica and the return of Ozzy Osbourne's Black Sabbath.

Sonisphere would return in 2013, Mrs Cobbold said. Meanwhile, Live Nation UK, the promoter of Download, revelled in the collapse of its rival. John Probyn, its chief operating officer, tweeted: "Another one bites the dust."

The Big Chill and Glastonbury are among the other big festivals to have been cancelled this year. Steep ticket prices and a glut of competing events, most notably the Olympics, have been blamed for a downturn in the industry.

Live at Knebworth: Greatest hits

Pink Floyd 1975

Luton Airport gave special clearance for two Spitfires to fly over the stage as Floyd struck their first chord. The planes arrived on time but the band ambled on 90 seconds late.

Led Zeppelin 1979

200,000 fans turned up for first UK shows since 1975. Band claimed they were "rusty" and reviews were mixed.

Oasis 1996

Britpop's peak: 2.6 million people applied to see the gig, the biggest demand for tickets in British concert history.

Robbie Williams 2003

Determined to beat Oasis, the former Take That star played three nights to 375,000 fans with one night screened live on television to 3.5 million viewers.

Adam Sherwin | Saturday 31 March 2012

http://www.independe...ns-7604122.html

• 1 month later...
  • Administrators

http://www.masslive.com/entertainment/index.ssf/2012/05/forgotten_concerts_led_zeppeli.html

Forgotten concerts: Led Zeppelin at Springfield Symphony Hall

Published: Thursday, May 03, 2012, 12:00 PM Updated: Friday, May 04, 2012, 7:34 AM

2036.png

By Ray Kelly, The Republican

It was no trick, just a big treat when British rock gods Led Zeppelin performed in downtown Springfield on Halloween night in 1969.

Sponsored by the Narragansett Brewing Co., Led Zeppelin performed at Symphony Hall, then known as Springfield Municipal Auditorium. The concert took place nearly three years before the opening of the Springfield Civic Center.

Occurring at time before rock concert reviews in the Pioneer Valley were commonplace, there is no official chronicle of the band's Oct. 31, 1969 performance. Thankfully, Led Zepellin fan Barry Hayes preserved a vintage poster and torn ticket stub, which are featured at the band's official website.

A front row seat to see one of the biggest bands in rock history in an intimate 2,600-seat hall went for just $5.50 back in 1969. Balcony seats were priced at $4.50 and $3.50. (In comparison, the face value for tickets to Led Zeppelin's reunion show in 2007 at the O2 Arena in London were priced at $200).

The Springfield concert took place just nine days after the release of the album "Led Zeppelin II." The band had performed in Buffalo the night before and had a gig in Syracuse on Nov. 1.

Indeed, Led Zeppelin's Robert Plant, Jimmy Page, John Paul Jones and John Bonham toured much of the U.S. between an April 24 show at Winterland in San Francisco and a return engagement to that fabled concert venue on Nov. 8.

The set list for the fall portion of the U.S. tour typically included: "Good Times Bad Times," "Communication Breakdown," " Can't Quit You Baby," "Heartbreaker," "Dazed and Confused," "You Shook Me," "White Summer / Black Mountainside," "Moby Dick," "How Many More Times" and "Whole Lotta Love."

According to the poster, the show also included Springfield's Taj Mahal as the opening act. By October 1969, Mahal had released three solo albums. He had performed the previous year in the Rolling Stones "Rock and Roll Circus" film.

There have been several unconfirmed reports that Led Zeppelin also performed at the Springfield Municipal Auditorium on Jan. 27, 1969, though it is not listed on the band's website. If so, that show would have taken place immediately following a four-night stint at the former Boston Tea Party and prior a run at the Fillmore East in New York.

^ Interesting stuff, Sam. Thank you for posting it!

I was born near Syracuse the day they played Buffalo, I would like to think they were traveling through my town while I was coming into the world. My father played WLL for me while I was in my crib, that I do know! Neat to know they were touring so close in proximity during my first days of life!!

• 2 weeks later...
  • Administrators

Ulster Hall celebrating 150 years

A packed festival programme of over 40 events is taking place until 9 June and people are already flooding through the doors to enjoy live music, film, talks and exhibitions to mark the anniversary.

The iconic venue has famously played host to everyone from Led Zeppelin to the Dalai Lama.

Terri Hooley, who was the godfather of the Belfast punk scene, remembers it fondly.

"The Ulster Hall is absolutely my favourite rock 'n' roll venue in the North of Ireland and coming here as a kid to see all the great bands playing here, it was just fantastic," he said.

Hooley recalls the Rolling Stones playing in the sixties for "15 minutes" before "the stage was mobbed with girls."

"Rory Gallagher is my big association with the Ulster Hall because when nobody was coming to play Belfast and all through the troubles Rory came every Christmas and played the Ulster Hall, which was always a fantastic concert," he said.

"In the seventies when we started putting on the punk concerts that was brilliant for me. When the town was being blown apart and gangs were killing people on the streets, just to bring all the kids here to pogo and have a good time was a brilliant period in my life."

"I always felt that walking into the Ulster Hall was like walking into a cathedral, a cathedral for Rock and Roll.

-Terri Hooley

The world premiere of the movie Good Vibrations, based on Terri's life takes place in the Ulster Hall on Thursday 31 May.

Jan Carson, Ulster Hall Heritage Officer, echoed the positive memories that the public have of the venue, which underwent a £8.5m facelift in 2007.

She said: "Everyone has an Ulster Hall story, the place that they met their partner, the place that they had their first kiss or their first gig. I think it has a special place in people's hearts."

She described some of the highlights of the Ulster Hall's rich history, including visits from Charles Dickens in 1867 and 1869.

Dickens showed a version of A Christmas Carol there and put on a half price matinee for ship and factory workers.

"In 1909 James Joyce came up to look about buying the hall, to possibly turn it into a silent movie theatre, not many people in Belfast know that," she added.

"We don't know why he didn't go through with the sale but it would have been a very different story if he had bought the building."

http://www.u.tv/Entertainment/Ulster-Hall-celebrating-150-years/d138a17e-3dd3-42d6-a854-6bdeffe0cde6

• Administrators

SAN BERNARDINO: Concert planned to honor Swing Auditorium

Rock ‘n’ roll history was made in San Bernardino in the spring of 1964.

That’s when now iconic rock band the Rolling Stones played their debut American concert, at the now defunct Swing Auditorium, in a show promoted by Bob Lewis.

Over the years the storied venue hosted acts as legendary as Jimi Hendrix and Led Zeppelin until a plane crashed into the venue in 1981.

But now, a Redlands man hopes to revive the stories of the hallowed hall and pay tribute to the man who brought the music to the masses.

On Saturday, June 23, the Backstretch Amphitheater inside the Martin A. Matich Sports Center in San Bernardino will play host to “The Music of Route 66: A Tribute to the San Bernardino Swing Auditorium.”

In addition to music, there will also be a video presentation featuring Bob Lewis, the promoter who produced the big-name concerts at the Swing Auditorium.

TELL US YOUR MEMORIES OF THE SWING AUDITORIUM

Steven Chapman, of Redlands, grew up going to shows at the Swing, like Jefferson Airplane and Buffalo Springfield. When he decided to go into the promotions business himself a few years ago, he had a meeting with Lewis to pick his brain about the business.

“He’s amazing,” Chapman said.

Lewis not only brought big music to the Swing, but also helped put on the Us Festivals, which were huge multi-day concerts back in 1982 and 1983 with Steve Wozniak.

Chapman thought it was time to say “thank you” to the Inland music legend.

There are a lot of people in the Inland region who have stories to tell about the Swing.

“We’re going to share them all,” Chapman said.

Among Chapman’s most memorable experiences are seeing Jethro Tull open for Led Zeppelin in the summer of 1969, but seeing Creedence Clearwater Revival is probably his top concert experience at the Swing.

To celebrate, the June 23 event will have music and dinner.

Headlining the show is Rick Shea and the Losin’ End. Shea grew up in San Bernardino and has gone on to become one of the premier Americana artists in the U.S.

Other artists include Jim King jamba, Diane Newberry, Chris Ussery and the Dan Miller Band, Todd and Barbi, plus special guests.

Chuck Street will serve as Master of Ceremonies, and some original KMEN 1290 AM DJs will also be in attendance.

http://www.pe.com/iguide/music/music-headlines/20120511-san-bernardino-concert-planned-to-honor-swing-auditorium.ece

• 4 weeks later...
  • Administrators

Nassau Coliseum: 40 years of concerts

published: June 14, 2012

newsday.com

In its 40 years, Nassau Coliseum has hosted more than a thousand concerts -- from Lawrence Welk and Led Zeppelin (who headlined shows shortly after the building was formally dedicated on May 29, 1972) to Lady Gaga and LMFAO. And even though the Uniondale arena is showing its seams and its future is in question, there's no denying that these four decades have had their share of memorable concerts:

THE BEGINNING

The Coliseum unofficially opened in February 1972 with a New York Nets game. The first concert, on April 29, 1972, featured Three Dog Night, followed the next night by Johnny Cash. Both shows were sellouts of 16,500. More than 5,000 fans were so rabid for tickets to Jethro Tull's May 13-14 shows that they stormed the box office the second it opened on April 24.

ELVIS PRESLEY

Presley played twice (1973 and 1975) before his death on Aug. 16, 1977, six days before his third scheduled stop at the Coliseum. About 5,000 fans held a memorial for the King in the parking lot the night of the show.

Most people retained their tickets instead of collecting refunds. Fans felt that all the unclaimed refund money should go to installing a memorial to Presley at the Coliseum, but the funds went to New York State instead.

FRANK SINATRA

When Sinatra came out of retirement in 1974, he headlined the Coliseum for three dates, April 9-11. Long Islanders clamored to see Ol' Blue Eyes, flooding the Coliseum with more than 13,000 mail-order ticket requests. However, 11,293 seats were held from the public and allegedly sold to friends and Nassau County political connections of Coliseum management. An investigation by the state attorney general led the arena to invoke a seven-point ticket reform limiting the numbers of tickets promoters and Coliseum management could withhold from public sale.

BOB DYLAN

After eight years off the road, Dylan returned to the concert scene in 1974, playing 40 shows in 42 days. He played Nassau Coliseum Jan. 28-29 -- his first area appearance since his legendary August 1965 show in Forest Hills.

GRATEFUL DEAD

The Dead holds the record for most Coliseum performances with 35, starting in 1973. Every time the band came to town, fans camped out in the parking lot for days.

PINK FLOYD

"Tear down the wall!" chanted angry fans outside the Coliseum on Feb. 24, 1980, when they couldn't get tickets for Pink Floyd's "The Wall" show. The Coliseum was one of two U.S. arenas to host the tour. Hundreds of ticketless fans used police barricades to shatter two windows and bolted into the Coliseum on opening night. No one was harmed -- or arrested.

RAP VIOLENCE

Rap concerts were temporarily discontinued at the Coliseum after a Bronx man was killed and 14 others stabbed, slashed or beaten at "Jam 88" on Sept. 10, 1988, featuring Kool Moe Dee, Big Daddy Kane, Erik B. & Rakim and Doug E. Fresh. Nine men from Bedford-Stuyvesant, who were targeting concertgoers with gold chains, were arrested. The situation made national news and put a bad mark on that music genre.

STONES REHEARSE

Although they never played the Coliseum, the Rolling Stones rented out the arena in August 1989 to rehearse their heavily anticipated "Steel Wheels" stadium tour. The huge, elaborate stage ran north to south, taking up most of the building, making a Stones performance nearly impossible.

GUNS N' ROSES

On June 17, 1991, Guns N' Roses hit the stage more than two hours late because of Axl Rose's behind-the-scenes shenanigans. Parents were circling the building, looking to pick up their kids at 11 p.m., but the band hadn't even begun to play. "Axl was fooling around in the city. We had to get a helicopter to fly him out," said former director of operations Lance Elder. "They met him at the Roosevelt Field heliport and brought him to the Coliseum. Then he disappeared into his dressing room with a hot tub. It was unbelievable."

BILLY JOEL

This is home field for Joel, who has packed the building 19 times, second only to the Grateful Dead. He sold out nine shows in 1998, setting the Coliseum record for the most sellouts in one year. A banner with his name was raised to the rafters in his honor. The record still stands.

http://www.newsday.c...certs-1.3782543

• 3 weeks later...

Another venerable venue is now gone.

Civic Arena in Pittsburgh, PA

The Yardbirds (w/Page): November 22 & 23 1966

Led Zepppelin: March 30, 1970, Feb 1, 1975

The Firm: May 5, 1985, March 27, 1986

Page & Plant: March 25, 1995, July 1, 1998

Robert Plant: October 24, 1988

Jason Bonham: March 27, 1986

Edited by SteveAJones

Official Timeline Nov. 29/1971

http://streetsofliverpool.co.uk/?s=Led+Zeppelin

http://i642.photobucket.com/albums/uu141/planetPage_bucket/Liverpool-Stadium.jpg]http://Liverpool-Stadium.jpg

I am often asked if I have photographs of the Stadium in Bixteth Street. I have only a small number, including this one taken in September 1950, when Tom Bailey and Jim McCann topped the boxing bill. The venue was opened by the Earl of Lonsdale in 1932 and became the main venue for boxing and wrestling in the city.

For many, its particular attraction was the regular rock concerts held there, particularly in the 1970s. In earlier days, Louis Armstrong had played there in 1956 and The Beatles appeared well down a Gene Vincent concert bill in 1960. The 1970s concerts had an astonishing array of talent, which to my eternal shame I missed out on completely. In 1971, Led Zeppelin appeared, followed by David Bowie, Jethro Tull and Frank Zappa in 1972. In 1973, it was the turn of Queen, followed by Steely Dan, Captain Beefheart, Bad Company and Judas Priest in 1974. The final concert was held in December 1976 with Ultravox and Eddie and the Hot Rods. Of course, I have omitted dozens of other artists but the shortlist will give a good flavour of the calibre of artists, with tickets rarely more than £1.50.

By the time the final acts played their last chords, the Stadium was badly run down. The management had been badly shaken by the horrendous gang-rape of a young girl during a concert there which reflected on the decrepit state of the venue. However, for the greatest part of its 40 plus years, it made a glorious contribution to the sporting and music history of Liverpool.

...Memories of Liverpool Stadium

http://www.liverpoolstadium-rockyears.com/index.html

• 2 weeks later...

Butterfield Court in Eve Hill (Dudley) England

Butterfield Court, off Salop Street, is a 17 storey, 64 flat tower block in the Eve Hill area of Dudley, West Midlands.

Plans for the block were approved as Phase 1 of the Eve Hill Redevelopment project in 1966 and completed in 1968 by Wimpey. It was joined the following year by two larger blocks, Millfield Court and Prince of Wales Court. By 1999 Butterfield Court was completely refurbished but the other two blocks were demolished in July 1999 and replaced with a private housing estate in 2002.

Butterfield Court stands high up on the Dudley ridge (890 feet above sea level) and can be seen from miles around. The residents enjoy distant views over Birmingham and the Black Country to the east and South Staffordshire, Worcestershire and Shropshire to the west. On a clear day, the hills of Mid Wales can be seen.

The front and inner photographs for the 1971 Led Zeppelin IV album were taken in the Eve Hill area of Dudley. The tower block on the back is Butterfield Court and as shown in the demolition video still stands today.

447px-Butterfieldcourt38phWest.jpg (looking west)

447px-Butterfieldcourt56gw.jpg

(looking east)

LedZeppelinIV.jpg

Edited by SteveAJones

I thought I'd do a quick summary of the Long Beach Arena in Long Beach, California. I make an annual "pilgrimage" of sorts to the arena for the Fred Hall fishing and boat show. Being in the arena is pretty damn awesome, and quite amazing to stand in the middle of it and think about the awesome shows that Led Zeppelin put on here, usually with "L.A. Drone" and "Immigrant Song" from How The West Was Won blasting in my headphones. ;)

From the Arena Website: http://cc.visitlongbeach.com/arena/

Long Beach Arena

The exterior of the Arena is covered by the world’s largest mural, “Planet Ocean”, which features a fabulous array of marine life by internationally renowned environmental artist, Wyland. The Long Beach Arena is a magnificent focal point to the dramatic Long Beach skyline.

The Arena seats 13,500 and has 46,000 square feet of exhibit space. The Arena concourse has 29,000 square feet of exhibit space. The Arena Lobby has 19,000 square feet of additional space.

ARENA DIMENSIONS

Arena_LBCC.gif

Seats: 13,500

Arena floor area: 46,000 sq. feet

Lower Concourse: 29,000 sq. feet

Ceiling Height: 75 feet

Concourse Ceiling Height: 14 feet

Arena Lobby: 19,000 sq. feet

Lobby Ceiling Height: 40 feet

Total Exhibit Space:: 75,000 sq. feet

From wikipedia:

List of live concert albums and videos made at the arena

Live in the LBC & Diamonds in the Rough ,Avenged Sevenfold April 10, 2008

Berth, The Used live CD/DVD combination, February 6, 2007

Louder Now:Partone and Louder Now:Parttwo, Taking Back Sunday live CD/DVD

How the West Was Won album, Led Zeppelin, June 27, 1972

Leon Live album, Leon Russell, August 28, 1972

The Night the Light Went On (In Long Beach) album, Electric Light Orchestra, May, 1974

Crossroads 2: Live in the Seventies album, Eric Clapton, July 19, 1974 & July 20, 1974

Turn Around, Live Long Beach, Deep Purple, July 1971

King Biscuit Flower Hour Presents: Deep Purple in Concert album, Deep Purple, February 1976

Live After Death album & Live After Death (video), Iron Maiden, October 14, 1985

Singer Bruce Dickinson orders the crowd, "Scream for me Long Beach"

Live...In the Raw album by W.A.S.P., March 10, 1987

Psychedelic Sexfunk Live from Heaven video, Red Hot Chili Peppers, 1990

I Heard a Voice – Live from Long Beach Arena DVD by AFI (release date 2006–12–12)

Rock Steady Live DVD by No Doubt 2002

St. Valentine's Day Rock & Roll Massacre: Hustler DVD re-issue, West Coast Sound February 14, 1980

Street Songs (album) Deluxe Edition, Live CD by Rick James July 30, 1981

Medusa: Dare to be Truthful TV special by Julie Brown mid-September 1991 (was also filmed at the Center Theater and Exhibition Hall [3]

Pictures

1968:

6938740776_5fea7e4b43_o.jpg

Now:

9751511.jpg

2552060453_3ab1a5f08b_b.jpg

Today while searching for pictures was the first time I have seen the arena before the repainting. I really like how it looked in 1968. I kinda laugh at the paint job too, but I can't imagine it being any other way, or it not being in the skyline of downtown Long Beach in it's current state. It's getting rather dull though, they need to touch it up again. Apparently the top is now painted as well, which it wasn't in the above picture.

• 4 months later...

Earls Court has been earmarked for demolition -

http://now-here-this...551122861570244

And Newcastle City Hall is set to close -

http://www.bbc.co.uk...d-tyne-20510407

https://www.change.o...astle-city-hall

Britain is going to the dogs.

I resigned myself to the inevitable demolition of Earls Court when venerable Wembley Stadium was knocked down some years ago. Even so, it's going to be VERY painful to watch when the wrecking ball strikes. Newcastle City Hall on the other hand...I understand why it likely will close but it's destruction would be unforgivable. Hopefully a viable alternative can be found.

Locarno Ballroom Coventry.

The Locarno was a legendary venue in my home city. The 1971 gig was famously interupted by a bomb scare and a PA failure. The story goes that Robert refused to leave the stage during the bomb scare. The gig was also attended by members of Fairport Convention.

During the 1960s the resident DJ was a certain Pete Waterman who went on to become a third of the Stock, Aitkin & Waterman producing team in the 80s. The Locarno played host to just about everybody in it's day. Another little known fact about this place is that Chuck Berry's live single My Ding-a-Ling was also recorded here in about 1972 I believe. In the mid 70s it changed it's name to Tiffany's and throughout the late 70s and early 80s hosted many well known bands of that era including The Clash, The Stranglers, AC/DC, Blondie, UB40 and our local heros The Specials and The Selector.

The Glass entrance Atrium that can be seen in the old photograph is long gone but the main part of the venue still exists and is now home to Coventry's Central Library.

post-5311-0-76641600-1354199779_thumb.jp

post-5311-0-24613300-1354199804_thumb.jp

post-5311-0-97909200-1354199834.jpg

God what a great thread.

Here is Arizona State University's Wells Fargo Arena, known as the Activity Center on the fateful night of Led Zeppelin's third-to-last U.S. show on July 20, 1977.

I graduated in this building in 1987. I saw Randy Rhoads with the Blizzard of Ozz here three months before Rhoads died. I also saw Plant here, The Firm, The Pretenders, Steve Winwood, Eric Clapton, Yes, Dire Straits, and the first two shows of U2's Joshua Tree tour. The best show I saw there, by far, was Springsteen's Born In The USA tour.

At the stadium in the background, I saw The Who on Halloween in 1982, The Stones in 1981 (where they filmed Let's Spend The Night Together), U2 in 1997, and the last two shows of The Joshua Tree tour in 1987 (where they filmed Rattle And Hum). The best were Stones in '81 and the final Joshua Tree show.

The photo of Page was taken on the sidewalk next to the Activity Center. Does anyone know who the other two guys are?

In The Light since 1972.

Trampled Under Foot. My life with Led Zeppelin.

http://petedelorean.tumblr.com/

post-22237-0-61622200-1354433192_thumb.j

post-22237-0-20470800-1354433213_thumb.j

post-22237-0-17924800-1354433230_thumb.j