Robert Plant & The Band of Joy To Tour USA

sam_webmaster

ame='walterswalk' date='28 March 2010 - 04:38 AM' timestamp='1269769104' post='452300']

I'm assuming we were talking about the kind that regular people had the opportunity to attend, which I've never been aware of at any shows I've been at, as otherwise I would obviously have tried to go. I expect I'm wrong, though.

It is obvious that you have not practiced the art of guest access procurement and catering table leeching for which some of "Superfan best friends" are well-known :)

ame='walterswalk' date='28 March 2010 - 04:38 AM' timestamp='1269769104' post='452300']

I'm assuming we were talking about the kind that regular people had the opportunity to attend, which I've never been aware of at any shows I've been at, as otherwise I would obviously have tried to go. I expect I'm wrong, though.

Have seen them done through radio stations and i even remember a couple in the early 90s done through fanzines, one that comes to mind is Brixton, London in 1993. What ones were you thinking of Aqua?.

Have seen them done through radio stations and i even remember a couple in the early 90s done through fanzines, one that comes to mind is Brixton, London in 1993. What ones were you thinking of Aqua?.

I was just thinking of the shows I'd been at, where I didn't see anything of that kind advertised, or discussed online afterwards--as I said, if I had, I'd have been there if I could.

I'm on every concert email list in AZ, and I didn't hear about this at all except on the FBO mailing list yesterday. I checked the email on my phone, but it was too big to load and I forgot about it as I was away from home all day. I finally checked it a few minutes ago and was surprised to see Robert has a Phoenix date on 7/20. I clicked on the link, thinking tickets would go onsale in the future, but damn if they weren't already on sale! Thinking "oh shit" to myself, I logged in to see what seats I'd end up with. Somehow, it gave me 3rd row Pit2, sets 11 and 12. I don't know when these went onsale, but McCartney is in town tonight and the media is going ga-ga about it and I don't know that there has been any coverage of Robert's tour announcement.

I can't find a detailed enough seating chart of Dodge theater to see if the seats are on an extreme end, or what, but I figure 3rd row can't be too bad.

I'm on every concert email list in AZ, and I didn't hear about this at all except on the FBO mailing list yesterday. I checked the email on my phone, but it was too big to load and I forgot about it as I was away from home all day. I finally checked it a few minutes ago and was surprised to see Robert has a Phoenix date on 7/20. I clicked on the link, thinking tickets would go onsale in the future, but damn if they weren't already on sale! Thinking "oh shit" to myself, I logged in to see what seats I'd end up with. Somehow, it gave me 3rd row Pit2, sets 11 and 12. I don't know when these went onsale, but McCartney is in town tonight and the media is going ga-ga about it and I don't know that there has been any coverage of Robert's tour announcement.

I can't find a detailed enough seating chart of Dodge theater to see if the seats are on an extreme end, or what, but I figure 3rd row can't be too bad.

I have been to a few shows at the Dodge Theater and it is a great venue. The Pit area is very small and up close so no matter where you sit it will be a good seat.

Congrats!

thanks, Sam. Hope they add Atlanta (Chastain Ampitheatre in there for the Fall). :)

R B)

reids, since we missed each other at TCV, if they announce Atlanta dates, let's all get together! Yesterday just bought a ticket to see Jeff Beck June 11th at Chastain...can't wait:-)

Any chance that there is a European tour? I'm in Italy, but I think it's really unlikely to come here, if there was a European tour would be easier .... My son of 9 years has become an even more avid fan myself, he adore his voice .... I'd let him see live, but it is difficult for us to come to America ... .. unless someone volunteers to host us !!!!!biggrin.gif

Any chance that there is a European tour? I'm in Italy, but I think it's really unlikely to come here, if there was a European tour would be easier .... My son of 9 years has become an even more avid fan myself, and adore his voice .... I'd let him see live, but it is difficult to come to America ... .. unless someone volunteers to host us !!!!!biggrin.gif

reids, since we missed each other at TCV, if they announce Atlanta dates, let's all get together! Yesterday just bought a ticket to see Jeff Beck June 11th at Chastain...can't wait:-)

We caught Jeff Beck in Toronto last month with Eric Clapton. Jeff is wonderful, his sound is entirely his own and he does such a range of songs - I was positive I recognized one of them, and sure enough, he was doing a cover of a a Sarah Brightman song, it was quite beautiful. He's also very personable and it really shows how much he's enjoying performing. Now, Eric Clapton was a bit disappointing. Apart from 'good evening', he didn't seem to connect so much with the audience. Technically great, but I would have preferred the whole evening only with Jeff. Enjoy, you will certainly have a wonderful time.

Looks like the best thing to do is sign up to Ticketmaster or the Robert Plant site and get updates. I did think it was wild that people could get tickets so fast and congrats to those who did.

I'm going to try to make the Memphis show--unless a Nashville show is added. It's been a long time since I've been to the Orpheum and I bet the ghosts will be happy.

It kind of looks like the tour hot spots are backwards from what he normally does...in the past he seemed to hit many of those places listed last lol

Bless the Southern belles ;)

They will probably add Nashville (Ryman Auditorium), Atlanta (Chastain Ampitheatre) and a few more dates in the southeast (like Durham/Raleigh or Asheville (Orange Peel)for the Fall Leg (2nd Leg). We'll have to wait and see.

R B)

Was The Raising Sand 2 just rumour then?

No, they did work on that but reportedly there were "personal and creative issues" (only repeating what I heard, can't vouch for the veracity of it) and the project was shelved. Hence this new chapter in Robert's journey.

Off topic, I know, but I'm really disappointed at how many people judge Clapton on his (lack of) patter rather than his music. :P

Now back to our regularly scheduled thread.

Yes, sorry to take away from Robert Plant's moment, but since you raised it, because when you pay a LOT of bucks to see an artist, and he/she is there in person, it leaves you a bit empty when they don't even try to even remotely connect. It's one thing to listen to a record, but quite another to take the time, and pay top dollars, to see an artist. That said, I appreciate some people might be more shy??, so I'm not judging him entirely on his lack of connection. For myself, I had hoped for a bit more variety in his set. A sold out show, I'm sure he pleased many folks.

I totally agree about Eric Clapton's lack of connection with the audience being so wrong. None of these huge stars would be where they are today without the support, especially monetary support of us fans. Paul McCartney I've heard is another performer who refuses to make contact with the fans in any way. They really are so wrong and it's disappointing.

Okay back to Robert. When will more dates be posted??? Any news from anyone??

Any word on Jimmy Page? Now that is the tour that I want to see -- I hope Page tours(with anyone!) at least one more time. Anywhere in the world, I am there!

I couldn't care any less about Plant touring. I hope the rest of you see him and enjoy it to your heart's content. I want to see Page and Jones myself.

Off topic, I know, but I'm really disappointed at how many people judge Clapton on his (lack of) patter rather than his music. tongue.gif

Now back to our regularly scheduled thread.

I agree with you. I'm paying my money to hear him play guitar and sing, not for a chit-chat or comedy routine.

And he does say "Thank you" after most songs. He did acknowledge his family in the audience at the Columbus show that I attended last year. He also acknowledged Jeff Beck after Jeff's solos at the MSG concert. I guess he could at least say "Hello" at the beginning of his concerts, lol. But he usually just waves at the audience when he takes the stage, picks up his guitar, and plays non-stop for a couple hours. That satisfies me. I know that is how Eric is on stage and I just accept it, and I am happy just to be a witness to his fabulous guitar playing and singing.

Back to Robert. We can probably expect a bit of audience banter from him, don't you think?

I share a few things in common with Patty Griffin .I was born the same day month and year in the same town in the same state. A few things we differ on is I picked up a guitar as a small child I did'nt wait till teen years .Also my birth name has the gemaria of 1 as well as my dofb that makes two 1's which would be eleven or 2 . Maybe Robert would be keen on meeting me on Easter in Church ,join the band of joy?

I agree with you. I'm paying my money to hear him play guitar and sing, not for a chit-chat or comedy routine.

Back to Robert. We can probably expect a bit of audience banter from him, don't you think?

This is one of the reasons I love this forum. Everyone brings a different viewpoint and I can't say I disagree with the idea of just enjoying the talent. Fair enough.

What I can't get over is how quickly these guys change up their plans. First Robert was going to be touring with Alison this summer, now it's another band and a new CD. What I really want to know is what happened to Jimmy's plans to tour this year? If he was planning to do the performance in Beijing in April, which supposedly has now been moved to October, then when was he planning to go out on tour? I know, this comment is in the wrong topic, just thought I'd ask while I'm here.

Sat. March 27th. "Mobile(Al) Press Register" front page

tease..........GUESS WHO'S PLAYING HERE?.....Robert

Plant at Saenger / includes picture of Plant going SHHHH.

Article on page 2A with current Plant photo reads;

Former Led Zeppelin singer and 2009 Album of the Year

Grammy winner Robert Plant will appear at the Mobile

Saenger Theater on July 28. The show will not feature

bluegrass vocalist Alison Krauss, Plant's partner on the

Grammy winning "Raising Sand" album. It will be part of

a 13-city North American tour by Plant and his Band of Joy.

Plant and LZ drummer John Bonham actually worked

with a group by that name in the late 1960's before

the formation of Zeppelin, though that Band of Joy

and the current version appear to have no members

in common other than Plant. According to promotional

materials, Plant will give listeners a preview of material

from a new solo album he plans to release in Sept.

He and Krauss have not yet announced a follow-up to

"Raising Sand."

Ticket prices for the 8pm show are $31, $61 and $76,

plus service charges. Tickets go on sale at 10am

April 2 at the Saenger box office and other Ticketmaster

outlets. To order by phone, 800-745-3000; online www.

ticketmaster.com. More info, Saenger box office,251-208-5600.

I appreciated the placement of the tease and the story and

thought it was cool to see the legend appropriately adressed.

The Seanger is a historic 1930's style theater restored to it's

original grandeur with balcony seating and all the classic

tapestries. The radio predicts a one hour sellout so I'll be in

line early. Should be a wonderfully intimate setting for what

I hope is a helluva show!

Any word on Jimmy Page? Now that is the tour that I want to see -- I hope Page tours(with anyone!) at least one more time. Anywhere in the world, I am there!

I couldn't care any less about Plant touring. I hope the rest of you see him and enjoy it to your heart's content. I want to see Page and Jones myself.

Then why are you posting in this thread? Do you really think the world wants to know how you feel about Robert's tour? What a waste of bandwidth. It's almost as bad as people posting about Jeff Beck and Eric Clapton here. What do either one of them have to do with Robert's new band, album and tour? Unbelievable...

Oh, and I don't really understand the words "first leg of tour" and "more dates this fall." What does that mean? Is he going to play in New York? How about South America? Japan? Norway? Cameroon? What does "first leg" mean? Does that mean there will be a second leg? What does "more dates this fall" mean? Is he going to play in my hometown? Why not? He never plays there!

Love,

Billy

Then why are you posting in this thread? Do you really think the world wants to know how you feel about Robert's tour? What a waste of bandwidth. It's almost as bad as people posting about Jeff Beck and Eric Clapton here. What do either one of them have to do with Robert's new band, album and tour? Unbelievable...

Oh, and I don't really understand the words "first leg of tour" and "more dates this fall." What does that mean? Is he going to play in New York? How about South America? Japan? Norway? Cameroon? What does "first leg" mean? Does that mean there will be a second leg? What does "more dates this fall" mean? Is he going to play in my hometown? Why not? He never plays there!

Love,

Billy

"First Leg" means that there will be a second group of concerts in other cities after a break. "More dates in the fall" means that there will be more dates in the fall. HIghly doubful he'd play in any international destination outside of his homeland of Great Britain. He hasn't been to South American and Japan since '95 or '98, and I doubt those are the markets for contry/bluegrass music for an obscure band. Cameroon is also doubtful.

Archived