Led Zeppelin IV CD Mis-pressing

pagefan1972

I have a copy of Led Zeppelin IV on CD, pressed by Atlantic in the US (Catalog Number 19129-2).

It looks just like a standard issue Zep IV CD, but the music on it is Jackson Browne's "Late for Sky" (!!??)

Has anyone else come across this, or any other similar mis-pressings?

Thanks!

I have a copy of Led Zeppelin IV on CD, pressed by Atlantic in the US (Catalog Number 19129-2).

It looks just like a standard issue Zep IV CD, but the music on it is Jackson Browne's "Late for Sky" (!!??)

Thanks!

yes, I've a III (7567-82277-2) mispressed with YES Tormato (!) :)

I really love this kind of items :thumbsup:

Thanks!

It's not a misspress, it's just a wrongly labeled Jackson Browne album.

I have the original pressing of LZ III with the engraving of "Do what thou Wilt" on one side of the album and the engraving "So mote be it" on the other. Very cool and VERY collectable!
Yeah.... There's only a few million or so of them, so that makes it quite a collectable item i suppose.

Yeah.... There's only a few million or so of them, so that makes it quite a collectable item i suppose.

Actually , that's incorrect. Although there are millions of pressings made of LZIII, the record company stopped the pressings with the engravings after a few thousand in the USA. Promoting Thelemic ideas wasn't too popular with the execs at the time I guess. So, yes, while there are plenty of copies to go around, the actual engraved pressings are rarer here in the States.

Actually , that's incorrect. Although there are millions of pressings made of LZIII, the record company stopped the pressings with the engravings after a few thousand in the USA. Promoting Thelemic ideas wasn't too popular with the execs at the time I guess. So, yes, while there are plenty of copies to go around, the actual engraved pressings are rarer here in the States.

OK, I stand corrected.

I have the original pressing of LZ III with the engraving of "Do what thou Wilt" on one side of the album and the engraving "So mote be it" on the other. Very cool and VERY collectable!

I bought that album on vinyl in the mid 80s new and it still had that engraved on the vinyl.

I am not sure if it got added back to the pressings or if they never dropped it. Or I had ancient stock.

I bought that album on vinyl in the mid 80s new and it still had that engraved on the vinyl.

I am not sure if it got added back to the pressings or if they never dropped it. Or I had ancient stock.

I have the original - with the engravings and my buddy has his copy from 1979 with no engraving...hhmm, as far as I know the record company (Atlantic) never agreed to put them back on the album.

Does your copy have a pressing date on vinyl?

I have that one as well. I really don't think it's that uncommon. But you can tell when your record was pressed- what series of pressing it belonged to by looking in a record collectors guide and matching the number on the sleeve or paper lable to those listed in the book. According to the number on my copy of III it was in the series of first pressing. Some pressings of II have 'Pecko Duck' ingraved on them and In Through the Out Door has 'strawberry' ingraved on both sides.

Thanks!

I think that's roughly as valuable as the vinyl copies of IV that had a song mislabeled as "Misty Mountain Top."

I think that's roughly as valuable as the vinyl copies of IV that had a song mislabeled as "Misty Mountain Top."

Uhm to my experience it's absolutely more interesting the mispressed CD instead of the common "top" misprint.

Don't forget that the "top" mislabeled is on the first pressing (uk - 2401 012 - plum label) as well on the reissue (uk - K 50008 - green / red label) so we're talking about hundreds (or more) copies.

I also think that a mispressed cd is more difficult to "press" than a wrong label (mislabel) or a typing error (misprint).

About the value is a completely different story, because there's a small market for the "top" first pressing (it's fashionable as well the Living Loving Wrek misprint) but I don't know how many are interested on the misspressed CD.

I'm interested because I love that kind of errors !!

The Crowley's run off is almost common and it's on many re-issues (sometimes on one side only): yes, we're talking about millions records pressed!

Anyway, I don't know what we can do with this thread but it'ld be interesting to list all the mispressed / misprinted edition we've about Led Zeppelin only.

I have the original - with the engravings and my buddy has his copy from 1979 with no engraving...hhmm, as far as I know the record company (Atlantic) never agreed to put them back on the album.

Does your copy have a pressing date on vinyl?

I have that one as well. I really don't think it's that uncommon. But you can tell when your record was pressed- what series of pressing it belonged to by looking in a record collectors guide and matching the number on the sleeve or paper lable to those listed in the book. According to the number on my copy of III it was in the series of first pressing. Some pressings of II have 'Pecko Duck' ingraved on them and In Through the Out Door has 'strawberry' ingraved on both sides.

Weren't these engravings put on by individual LP packagers and machine operators? I think I recall reading that one time.

• 1 month later...
I have a copy of Houses of the Holy on vinyl...the image inside the gatefold is from an album by a Canadian band called Harmonium...it's kind of cool because the photo is of an orange cloudscape...so it kind of matches the original motif in a way.

Mr. R. Fist

do you mean the picture of a guy holding a girl? that's Dunluce Castle, not far from the Giant's Causeway.

or do you mean something else? :S

Archived