Jason Bonham's Led Zeppelin Experience (Tour)

SteveAJones

Halloween 09 in Manhattan. I had a 104 fever in this pic and was on the verge of collapsing. Somehow, I managed.

Ok, and that has WHAT to do with the topic of this thread?

Jason's been nursing at the Zeppelin teat long enough. Time to move on and stop riding his Dad's coattails. Hmmm...riding on coattails...where have I read that before?

Love,

Billy

Edited by BillyMacQ

Ok, and that has WHAT to do with the topic of this thread?

Jason's been nursing at the Zeppelin teat long enough. Time to move on and stop riding his Dad's coattails. Hmmm...riding on coattails...where have I read that before?

Love,

Billy

Absolutely nothing. Now change your tampon!

Absolutely nothing. Now change your tampon!

You're a class act, pally. I'm sure the women folk here appreciate that comment. Now run along and learn how to use PMs to address your friends, rather than clogging up the board with wastes of bandwidth.

Betcha Jimmy and Ozzy are going to be in some collage type photo on the cover of Classic Rock or MOJO.

Love,

Billy

You're a class act, pally. I'm sure the women folk here appreciate that comment. Now run along and learn how to use PMs to address your friends, rather than clogging up the board with wastes of bandwidth.

Who died and made you pope of this dump?

I always try to remember that although Ross and Jimmy are close friends, one cannot assume Ross' opinion mirror's Jimmy's. That being said, I agree with Ross' particular assessment of this situation. Sure, he could have said it more politely, but to me Jason should have let things go when the reunion didn't happen. Honoring his father is great, but basically trying to make it a pseudo official Zeppelin thing when all it is is a tribute band is wrong and it seems to me he is milking his father's name instead of resting on his own laurels.

That being said, I am sure Jimmy doesn't mind the name dropping that Ross does. He probably appreciates the attention. He and Ross have been close friends for years and if he didn't like it, he would have most likely told Ross to stop it. Besides, I enjoy Ross' diaries as another way to see what Jimmy (and other artists that I like) are up to when things are quiet. And let's face it, things are a little quiet for Jimmy at the moment.

Edited by Saiko

I always try to remember that although Ross and Jimmy are close friends, one cannot assume Ross' opinion mirror's Jimmy's. That being said, I agree with Ross' particular assessment of this situation. Sure, he could have said it more politely, but to me Jason should have let things go when the reunion didn't happen. Honoring his father is great, but basically trying to make it a pseudo official Zeppelin thing when all it is is a tribute band is wrong and it seems to me he is milking his father's name instead of resting on his own laurels.

That being said, I am sure Jimmy doesn't mind the name dropping that Ross does. He probably appreciates the attention. He and Ross have been close friends for years and if he didn't like it, he would have most likely told Ross to stop it. Besides, I enjoy Ross' diaries as another way to see what Jimmy (and other artists that I like) are up to when things are quiet. And let's face it, things are a little quiet for Jimmy at the moment.

Well said. I think Jason could do better. He has done the tribute to his father years ago. well into his forties now I'd like to see Jason branch out a little bit.

Well said. I think Jason could do better. He has done the tribute to his father years ago. well into his forties now I'd like to see Jason branch out a little bit.

In case some on the forum are not aware, Jason just finished a new recording with his new band including, guitar great Joe Bonamassa, Glenn Hughes (ex-Deep Purple on bass and vocals) & Derek Sherinian (Dream Theatre playing the keys) with Kevin Shirley at the helm.

They have worked out things and should have the cd ready later this year or early next year (last heard).

Jason wants to do a tribute concert (mini-tour this year) before his new group's release/tour to honor his dad and celebrate his life (as it's been 30 years this fall, since his passing). Perhaps this tribute tour contains material/video that we haven't seen of Jason and his dad yet.

R B)

Edited by reids

yes you are right, surely Jason will play only with good musicians... only I wonder if he will play in Italy or not...I think it's not so easy...for now I'll search for a Flowerstone concert....let me se if they will play on summer.....smile.gif bye bye

Hello Annam, here is Flowerstone's homepage https://sites.google.com/site/flowerstone68/ , it shows them playing Stairway to heaven, No quarter and Moby dick, and there are some links to their Facebook, twitter and something else.

I think that Jason could certainly bank on them, tell us what you think about them, most of all if you see them live in Rome.

bye

Betcha Jimmy and Ozzy are going to be in some collage type photo on the cover of Classic Rock or MOJO.

Love,

Billy

As always, I'm a day late and a dollar short, but have to add my 2 cents -

Being a woman, I'm not offended in the least. Thought it was a rather funny comeback. And . . . . BigStickBonzo, loved the picture. Very cool! Thanks for posting the larger image.

Whole Lotta Dad: Jason Bonham Plans Led Zeppelin Tribute Concerts

By Dave Itzkoff

New York Times

May 17, 2010

To the world John Bonham was the formidable rock 'n' roll drummer of Led Zeppelin, who brought an explosive percussion style to songs like "When The Levee Breaks" and "Four Sticks".To Jason Bonham, he was simply Dad, a man whose musicianship he did not fully appreciate when John died in 1980 at the age of 32, when Jason was just 14.

"I really wish I had the time to tell him when he was alive how much I loved him as a player, and his music," Mr. Bonham said recently in a telephone interview.

In that spirit Mr. Bonham, now 44, announced on Monday he would perform a series of concerts in the fall paying tribute to his father and the music of Led Zeppelin. While the lineup of musicians and tour dates is still being completed, Mr. Bonham said the tour, called "Jason Bonham's Led Zeppelin Experience", would perform 30 shows in North America in honor of the 30th anniversary of John Bonham's death.

"I've always been a huge fan of the band, but I appreciated it a lot more as I got older," Mr. Bonham said. "From living in America now for the last five years, you really do get a picture of how big Led Zeppelin is here."

After appearing alongside his father in the Led Zeppelin documentary "The Song Remains The Same", Mr. Bonham played drums in several bands in the 1980s and '90s, and performed with the Led Zeppelin guitarist Jimmy Page on Mr. Page's 1988 solo album "Outrider."

In 1997, Mr. Bonham released the charity album "In the Name of My Father – The Zepset," featuring his covers of songs like "The Ocean" and "Communication Breakdown." Ten years later he performed with the band's surviving members — Mr. Page, Robert Plant and John Paul Jones — at the O2 Arena in London as part of a concert paying tribute to the Atlantic Records chief Ahmet Ertegun.

Mr. Bonham said after the O2 performance it was difficult to walk away from his musical heritage.

He recalled: "One thing my mom was worried about, she said, 'Will you be able to handle it if it's only one show?' At the time, I was like, 'Yeah, yeah, it'd just be great, just doing it once with them.' But obviously, in hindsight, she kind of saw it."

Mr. Bonham said his "Led Zeppelin Experience" concerts would take their inspiration from shows like "Rain", a long-running tribute to the Beatles that mixes multimedia and historical films with live performances of the band's music.

"The last thing I want to do is go onstage wearing wigs and replicating the past," he said. "I'd rather go on there and perform the music to our best ability, and set the mood by using images from then of Dad and me. Fingers crossed that by the time people see it, I will have definitely ironed out any problems."

Mr. Bonham said he had not yet approached the surviving members of Led Zeppelin about their possible participation.

"I really wasn't going to speak to them until I figured out, down to every detail and how I want this to be seen," he said.

"Of course, I would love to have them involved," Mr. Bonham added. "I had the time of my life working with them in that six weeks up to the O2 show, and to have been part of that, just for that moment."

Asked which of his father's songs he was most looking forward to playing again, Mr. Bonham cited "Kashmir" from "Physical Graffiti."

"The simplistic part of it," he said, "just to even try to get it somewhat close or right, it's not what you do, it's what you don't do. A lot of the things with Dad were like that. It was the simplicity. Think of 'When the Levee Breaks,' when it starts. It's such a simple pattern, but try playing that beat – half the time, it never sounds anything like the way he did it."

"He really was a phenomenal player," Mr. Bonham said. "He really was the man."

http://artsbeat.blog...20bonham&st=cse

Edited by SteveAJones

Whole Lotta Dad: Jason Bonham Plans Led Zeppelin Tribute Concerts

By Dave Itzkoff

New York Times

May 17, 2010

To the world John Bonham was the formidable rock 'n' roll drummer of Led Zeppelin, who brought an explosive percussion style to songs like "When The Levee Breaks" and "Four Sticks".To Jason Bonham, he was simply Dad, a man whose musicianship he did not fully appreciate when John died in 1980 at the age of 32, when Jason was just 14.

"I really wish I had the time to tell him when he was alive how much I loved him as a player, and his music," Mr. Bonham said recently in a telephone interview.

In that spirit Mr. Bonham, now 44, announced on Monday he would perform a series of concerts in the fall paying tribute to his father and the music of Led Zeppelin. While the lineup of musicians and tour dates is still being completed, Mr. Bonham said the tour, called "Jason Bonham's Led Zeppelin Experience", would perform 30 shows in North America in honor of the 30th anniversary of John Bonham's death.

"I've always been a huge fan of the band, but I appreciated it a lot more as I got older," Mr. Bonham said. "From living in America now for the last five years, you really do get a picture of how big Led Zeppelin is here."

After appearing alongside his father in the Led Zeppelin documentary "The Song Remains The Same", Mr. Bonham played drums in several bands in the 1980s and '90s, and performed with the Led Zeppelin guitarist Jimmy Page on

Mr. Page's 1988 solo album "Outrider."

In 1997, Mr. Bonham released the charity album "In the Name of My Father – The Zepset," featuring his covers of songs like "The Ocean" and "Communication Breakdown." Ten years later he performed with the band's surviving members — Mr. Page, Robert Plant and John Paul Jones — at the O2 Arena in London as part of a concert paying tribute to the Atlantic Records chief Ahmet Ertegun.

Mr. Bonham said after the O2 performance it was difficult to walk away from his musical heritage.

He recalled: "One thing my mom was worried about, she said, 'Will you be able to handle it if it's only one show?' At the time, I was like, 'Yeah, yeah, it'd just be great, just doing it once with them.' But obviously, in hindsight, she kind of saw it."

Mr. Bonham said his "Led Zeppelin Experience" concerts would take their inspiration from shows like "Rain", a long-running tribute to the Beatles that mixes multimedia and historical films with live performances of the band's music.

"The last thing I want to do is go onstage wearing wigs and replicating the past," he said. "I'd rather go on there and perform the music to our best ability, and set the mood by using images from then of Dad and me. Fingers crossed that by the time people see it, I will have definitely ironed out any problems."

Mr. Bonham said he had not yet approached the surviving members of Led Zeppelin about their possible participation.

"I really wasn't going to speak to them until I figured out, down to every detail and how I want this to be seen," he said.

"Of course, I would love to have them involved," Mr. Bonham added. "I had the time of my life working with them in that six weeks up to the O2 show, and to have been part of that, just for that moment."

Asked which of his father's songs he was most looking forward to playing again, Mr. Bonham cited "Kashmir" from "Physical Graffiti."

"The simplistic part of it," he said, "just to even try to get it somewhat close or right, it's not what you do, it's what you don't do. A lot of the things with Dad were like that. It was the simplicity. Think of 'When the Levee Breaks,' when it starts. It's such a simple pattern, but try playing that beat – half the time, it never sounds anything like the way he did it."

http://artsbeat.blog...20bonham&st=cse

What a great article. I can't wait for the dates to be announced. This will be quite an emotional experience IMHO. Thanks for the post Steve!

Quote below from hanger-on Ross Halfwit's diary dated 28 May where he takes a dig at both Jason Bonham and Robert Plant. What is RH's problem with Jason Bonham, a man who presumably has done him no harm? Perhaps Jason has declined to pick up the bill for Ross's meals at Nobu!

"Said hello to Joe after who told me Jason Bonham is now going to be the singer in the Led Zeppelin Experience, dressing up in women's blouses to scream about going to Valhalla. Only thing is Jason needs to lose three hundred pounds first, plus Robert Knight (or "Shite" as he's better known) is directing the visual production. Robert Shite (a man who walks around dressed as a member of Poison) claims to be the first photographer to shoot Led Zeppelin, which is rubbish, and even stranger he also claims he and Jimmy Page are friends, and I know that's not true. Let's hope Jason gets on the Bonamassa diet soon. The Led Zeppelin Experience... yuk."

Quote below from hanger-on Ross Halfwit's diary dated 28 May where he takes a dig at both Jason Bonham and Robert Plant. What is RH's problem with Jason Bonham, a man who presumably has done him no harm? Perhaps Jason has declined to pick up the bill for Ross's meals at Nobu!

"Said hello to Joe after who told me Jason Bonham is now going to be the singer in the Led Zeppelin Experience, dressing up in women's blouses to scream about going to Valhalla. Only thing is Jason needs to lose three hundred pounds first, plus Robert Knight (or "Shite" as he's better known) is directing the visual production. Robert Shite (a man who walks around dressed as a member of Poison) claims to be the first photographer to shoot Led Zeppelin, which is rubbish, and even stranger he also claims he and Jimmy Page are friends, and I know that's not true. Let's hope Jason gets on the Bonamassa diet soon. The Led Zeppelin Experience... yuk."

First off, Jason is in great shape now (300 lbs. ???) and second of all, it kills that the only man I truly idolize, Jimmy, is so friendly with a creep like Ross. Again, just because he takes pictures of stars doesn't make him one. Plus, he seems so jealous of any other rock star photographer mentioned in the news.

I'm not here to bash Jason Bohnam on his career choices,nor will I judge him as a person, but I will tell a brief story. I saw him do a Zeppelin tribute back in the late 90's with some fellows who very much resembled Led Zeppelin in both playing and appearance. They were very good. As a matter of fact, the bass player was the guy from the band Bohnam. The guitar player (can't remember his name) was from NYC. He was a friendly guy. I talked to him for 20 minutes or so sfter the gig. Long story short, it was in a small club in New Orleans called Jimmy's Music Club. They may have had 75 to 100 people in the place. Apparently this upset Jason and they quit playing after an hour and 15 minutes. I was pretty dissapointed by that. I even asked the guitar player on the side of the stage after the gig what was the reason for such a short show. He said Jason was aggravated about the lack of attendance......So you make your own opinion of the man from that...Maybe his attitude has changed, because that was 15 years ago or more.....but at the time, I lost respect for him over that.

Damn right!

Jimmy has to be aware and sanctions Ross's comments that are Zep related. I truly believe Ross wouldn't put anything on his site that Jimmy would be upset about. They are both probably having a huge laugh seeing the reaction on sites such as this.