Jason Bonham's Led Zeppelin Experience (Tour)

SteveAJones

13 minutes ago, craigled said:

What a fool. Wonder what happens on the 10th anniversary btw. Just wish it was something done together. Might get some kind of release.

Having remastered and re-released the back catalog for the umpteenth time, a 10th anniversary release of a show just out on cd and dvd four years ago seems a bit market over saturation to me, I think the interesting development for 2017 is Jason hinting at a big announcement. Is he taking JBLZE to Europe and beyond at long last?  

• 1 month later...

Very very sad Jason spending years doing this show. Must be getting paid well cause is smell of being a sell out at this point.  The points been made, you love your father and we do as well, but stop living in the past and do something new.  This is not "a led zeppelin experience" by any means, by the way, but rather just another tribute band really.  At least their not pretending to be Led Zeppelin with the silly 70's outfits.  But overall, its a dead show with not zip to it, no excitment; Just jason getting fat and lazy living behind dad.

Edited by Box of Jimmy's

On 1/16/2017 at 8:43 PM, Box of Jimmy's said:

Very very sad Jason spending years doing this show. Must be getting paid well cause is smell of being a sell out at this point.  The points been made, you love your father and we do as well, but stop living in the past and do something new.  This is not "a led zeppelin experience" by any means, by the way, but rather just another tribute band really.  At least their not pretending to be Led Zeppelin with the silly 70's outfits.  But overall, its a dead show with not zip to it, no excitment; Just jason getting fat and lazy living behind dad.

To be fair, he's doing a lot of other things at the moment. Has the JBLZE run it's course? I would have thought so but someone is buying tickets to these gigs. I still say his best project was Bonham ('89-'93) but Daniel MacMaster is long since deceased so we'll never see any more from that lineup. 

On ‎16‎/‎01‎/‎2017 at 11:43 AM, Box of Jimmy's said:

I have to agree with this, quite apart from the points you have made - I find the lumping of Led Zeppelin's music in with mediocre piffle like Foreigner & Cheap trick a tad cringe worthy too.

I'm sure some people love to go along to see this stuff but it's certainly not for me & that's coming from a huge John Bonham & Led Zeppelin fan.

^^Not sure where you heard that Joe B. will not be involved. He is involved. Unless there is something I missed recently...

http://forums.ledzeppelin.com/index.php?/topic/15365-black-country-communion/&do=findComment&comment=866824

http://www.blabbermouth.net/news/black-country-communion-begins-recording-fourth-album/

Edited by luvlz2

• 5 months later...

21 hours ago, luvlz2 said:

With this summer tour with Foreigner JBLZE is playing at the biggest venues it has ever played.

Yes, they are playing not too far away.  Might be time to see Jason again.  

As far as I'm concerned, he can do this as long as he wants. He's had to carry the load of following and carrying his famous father's name, so if he benefits from it then that's good on him.

He was good enough to fill in for an entire concert, being invited and appreciated by Plant, Page, and Jones after all.  Puts him in a different category than tribute status, as far as I'm concerned.  

3 hours ago, Walter said:

Yes, they are playing not too far away.  Might be time to see Jason again.  

As far as I'm concerned, he can do this as long as he wants. He's had to carry the load of following and carrying his famous father's name, so if he benefits from it then that's good on him.

He was good enough to fill in for an entire concert, being invited and appreciated by Plant, Page, and Jones after all.  Puts him in a different category than tribute status, as far as I'm concerned.  

100%.

Also, seeing this band will be as close as we'll get now in terms of live. Jimmy seems retired, Robert's doing his own new music and Zep stuff in new ways. Until and unless something involving Jp, JPJ, and other bands (like The Black Crows gigs) or even Jason as well, this is it for Zep live. And by the looks/sound, it would be a FANTASTIC gig!

On 18/07/2017 at 9:30 AM, rm2551 said:

Outstanding. Hope they come down under.....

No fucking chance. He only plays in the U.S and never even brings this stuff to his home country. Sounds familiar doesn't it?

Edited by chillumpuffer

Jason has progressed a lot, and 07' was pretty good. But even among other rock drumming greats, Jason is not really

rated. I saw him on the 88' Outrider Page tour, and 50% was very good, the other 50% promising but lacking steadiness.

Not much wrong about him using his name to tour, but getting some really inventive originals would give him more cred.

Led Zeppelin Experience steals the show

Foreigner, Cheap Trick bring back memories

David Singer/For The Daily Gazette - July 19, 2017

5970298c9faed_webled.jpg.c7f08308c17b0087b318e46bce29a721.jpg

Tuesday night at the Saratoga Performing Arts Center, three bands played songs that packed the FM airwaves during the '70s and a good part of the '80s. Out of the 15 men who performed in Foreigner, Cheap Trick and Jason Bonham's Led Zeppelin Experience on Tuesday night, only four were original members. But who's counting. The music sounded like it's always sounded. Fans knew what they were in for -- fun, nostalgic live music on a summer night, which they got and not an inch more.

The real surprise was Jason Bonham's Led Zeppelin Experience, which started the concert (with no original members). Son of original drummer John Bonham, Jason opened "Misty Mountain Hop" with a larger-than-life drum beat -- simple, huge, and unmistakably Zeppelin's. Bonham managed to nail his dad's legendary sound and style through all the tunes. He sat at the front edge of his seat and played with that legendary Bonham look -- frenzied and attacking like the last song he may ever play.

The band matched the Zeppelin sound and mix. Songs were cut short -- no sky-high Jimmy Page solos -- but it was still fun to hear "Black Dog," "Ramble On" and "Whole Lotta Love," thought it was disappointing that they gutted the midsection of the latter tune.

Drumming has come a long way since the '70s; Bonham had the licks down pat, inserting some fancy moves inside his dad's large spacious fills without losing the spirit of his drumming.

Celebrating their 40th anniversary, Foreigner played nothing but hits. To their credit, they didn't try to sell anything new, you knew every song -- for better or worse -- from "Head Games" to "Feels Like the First Time."

The seven-piece band was spread out on the large, lit stage like a '70s arena-rock group. Singer Kelly Hansen worked the stage, waved his arms and offered the drama of a '70s styled front man. He sounded a lot like original vocalist Lou Gramm, particularly on songs like "Cold as Ice," and "Urgent," which didn't sound any better live than on the radio.

The classic synthesizer sounds came out for "Waiting for a Girl Like You." Hansen's singing on this ballad exposed some differences from Gramm.

Mick Jones was the only original band member on stage, Jones was the chief writer and founder, and also produced. But Hansen played the lead role, screaming corny lines between every song -- "Are we ready to rock and rolllll!!!!!"

Jones did speak before introducing and singing "Starrider," crediting Hansen for the band's new wave of success. This was the one song that deviated form the pack, displaying a hint of prog-rock early in their career, but an avenue they never fully pursued.

Their pop songs, like "Blue Morning, Blue Day," have a quality to them. But that doesn't fully explain how these quintessentially '70s pop tunes continue to attract 8,000-plus excited fans to their shows.

Cheap Trick doesn't have the number of hits Foreigner has -- in Japan Cheap Trick had more commercial success than it did in the U.S. -- but they had enough to occupy an hour-long set.

"I Want You to Want Me" was their first big one they broke out Tuesday night. While it wasn't always easy to recognize that familiar voice of Robin Zander during the heavier stuff, he sounded like himself on these hits, particularly on "Surrender," their best song of the night. Fun to hear a teenage fight song when a large part of the audience has grandchildren. "Mama's alright, daddy's alright, they just seem a little weird."

Along with Zander, originals Rick Nielsen and Tom Peterson were on stage.

They piled all their hits into the end of the show: it might have helped the energy to use, say, "Dream Police," somewhere upfront.

Cheap Trick is a hard-driving pop band, but had a punkish edge that once gave them some depth or mystery Tuesday night, the punk was still there, the edge is all gone, but they are definitely having a good time performing.

The Daily Gazette

Edited by luvlz2

I would definitely go if JBLZE was on the bill in Phoenix, but they are not. A few of the dates JBLZE is not included, you can find out for sure by looking at the tour dates on Foreigner's official website and clicking on 'More Info' on the date you're interested in.

Edited by luvlz2

6 hours ago, The Rover said:

I think, for consistency, all of the band members and road crew should go bald...

? Tony Catania (guitar) and Dorian Heartsong  / Michael Devin (bass) would absolutely love that ?