Chicago Transit Authority

ledzep45

So, hey ;) I haven't been on the forums for ages (for one reason or another........) but I'm back! :D

Anybody else love early chicago before they turned all pop?

And on another note, anybody like Electra Glide In Blue?

:)

So, hey wink.gif I haven't been on the forums for ages (for one reason or another........) but I'm back! biggrin.gif

Anybody else love early chicago before they turned all pop?

And on another note, anybody like Electra Glide In Blue?

smile.gif

Love CTA. Terry Kath was amazing . Thought they completely lost the plot after his untimely death

Love CTA. Terry Kath was amazing . Thought they completely lost the plot after his untimely death

Yeh, Kath was (still is) one of the best. I still can't get over the sustain he gets on 'Listen', i'ts too amazing! I remember reading somewhere Hendrix was a big fan.

Yeh, Kath was (still is) one of the best. I still can't get over the sustain he gets on 'Listen', i'ts too amazing! I remember reading somewhere Hendrix was a big fan.

I was lucky enough to see them live a couple of times ( 71/72 ). Free Form Guitar/ California Purples , I'm A Man, 25 or 6 to 4 were all Kath trademarks. However, It wasn't just about TK, the whole band was great !

The first 5 albums are fantastic, the first 2 & Carnegie Hall are some of my favorite albums of all time. Truly groundbreaking stuff. Too bad they got sucked into the pop hits routine. And of course, Terry Kath was a huge loss to the music world. I never got to see them in the 70's, and once he was gone, I had no interest. Great band for a topic!

I was lucky enough to see them live a couple of times ( 71/72 ). Free Form Guitar/ California Purples , I'm A Man, 25 or 6 to 4 were all Kath trademarks. However, It wasn't just about TK, the whole band was great !

:o just listening to the live version of South Californian Purples from carniegie hall blows my mind. Introduction sounds freakin awesome too.

"South California Purples"

I just love the "Fat" Bass, and the horns/organ/guitar work on this track... :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lghDG9vYfRQ

I was lucky to see Chicago in 1972, just before they took off to their pop-commercial era, they were just foraying into it... One of the most satisfying rock shows of the year, for me !! The had perfect sound for that auditorium, something that happens because you make it happen, and not by chance. The highlight of that live show was one of the encore numbers, a jammin' version of "Free".

Edited by The Rover

I used to love them. I talked my brother into taking me to see them when I was probably around 12 or 13 years old. My parents would never have let me go to a rock concert otherwise.

Funny thing is, my neighbor used to love Zeppelin and whenever he used to blast it, I would blast CTA back at him.

yeh that was great stuff......i imagine any fan of zep loves those long solos.....i know i do

have a bunch of old vinyl by them that belonged to my parents and i stole before they could be sold at some crappy yard sale.......nice!cool.gif

"South California Purples"

I just love the "Fat" Bass, and the horns/organ/guitar work on this track... :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lghDG9vYfRQ

I was lucky to see Chicago in 1972, just before they took off to their pop-commercial era, they were just foraying into it... One of the most satisfying rock shows of the year, for me !! The had perfect sound for that auditorium, something that happens because you make it happen, and not by chance. The highlight of that live show was one of the encore numbers, a jammin' version of "Free".

Your right, its such a cool track, me and my friend sometimes have a little jam to it lol.

:o i would give anything to see them at that period. It's such a shame not more of their shows at that time were recorded on audio or video. I don't think theres ever been an official release of CTA-Chicago 3 area. Well, apart from Live At Carnegie Hall :lol:

Hot damn...great thread! CTA is still a staple in my house. I was lucky enough to see TK and Chicago, 2 of my all time faves.

Good to see ya my friend wave.gif and why am I not suprised that your a fan of CTA.

Trying to find the complete version of Make Me Smile on Youtube but no luck . Great song

Good to see ya my friend wave.gif and why am I not suprised that your a fan of CTA.

Trying to find the complete version of Make Me Smile on Youtube but no luck . Great song

Ally, here is an older version. :D Think I'll listen to Chicago today!

Chicago- Make Me Smile

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GzViV6PUOSM

Another one:-)

Chicago - Make me smile/Colour my world

Edited by Deborah J

Ally, here is an older version. :D Think I'll listen to Chicago today!

Chicago- Make Me Smile

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GzViV6PUOSM

Another one:-)

Chicago - Make me smile/Colour my world

great song(s). the 2nd album is great (especially ballet for a girl in buchannon), its certainly one that grows on you. Can anybody reccomend anything from the 3rd album? haven't got it yet :lol: thanks