"Gentle people" in TSRTS.

Wolfman

Funny, in the countless times I watched TSRTS I've always heard "gentle", but now that I was looking for "devil" I thought I could hear it. So, I go with my original unadulterated impression. Then again, I thought I heard "cookie" (who could resist??) the first time I heard "For Your Life" eons ago so what do I know... :lol:

Everytime I listen to D&C from TSRTS, I swear RP says "Devil people" during the part of San Francisco where he is supposed to say "gentle people". Anyone else ever notice this? Go to 6:40 to hear what I'm talking about.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wewu45XSb00

If you're going to San Francisco

Be sure to wear some flowers in your hair

If you're going to San Francisco

You're gonna meet some gentle people there

For those who come to San Francisco

Summertime will be a love-in there

In the streets of San Francisco

Gentle people with flowers in their hair

Intro.: All across the nation, such a strange vibration

People in motion

There's a whole generation with a new explanation

People in motion, people in motion

For those who come to San Francisco

Be sure to wear some flowers in their hair

If you come to San Francisco

Summertime will be a love-in there

Extro.: If you come to San Francisco

Summertime will be a loving day

I gotta agree with you. I believe he is saying "Devil people"... I've interpred it that way ever since I heard it. What you hear, is what you hear.

Everytime I listen to D&C from TSRTS, I swear RP says "Devil people" during the part of San Francisco where he is supposed to say "gentle people". Anyone else ever notice this? Go to 6:40 to hear what I'm talking about.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wewu45XSb00

...I listened to this just after your post, and was bit reluctant to give my opinion, the very first listen, Robert does indeed sound like "Devil", I do not hear a "G", "T" sound, honestly, it is quite clearly "D"....

I have heard this song many many times, but never paid close attention, now first time I did, and it is what the controversy is....

Edited by PlanetPage

This is my second reply to this topic. My first one was #7. Read that one to see what I think. However, I must reply again once more. I have had TSRTS on VHS tape since it was first released in the early to mid 1980's. (And then the first DVD copy and more recently the Re-Mastered DVD copy that came out in 2007 and not to mention both the original CD and the Re-Mastered CD). All in all, I have probably heard this version of "Dazed and Confused" over 1000 times and have never once heard Robert sing "Gentle People".

Even then I heard Robert sing "You're Gonna Meet a lot of Devil People there... Everywhere, Everywhere, Everywhere"...(Robert does a Cool Cocky Strut, Jimmy Arches back and Plays those Cool notes on his Les Paul and then Robert sings) "I Know, I Know, I Know, I Know, Ooohh , Ooohh"...

Again, I say, in my ears, I do not and cannot even hear the slightest words of "Gentle People" being sung by Mr. Plant. I am in no way arguing with those that claim they hear "Gentle People" but all I say is put on some headphones and listen to this line more than once and really think about what You hear.

For the record, I do not think that it is even relevant what line Robert sings in this song. Just the fact that it is up for debate and speculative makes this song even more Interesting.

Edited by lzzoso

I have also seen and heard - on headphones too - this movie and this song more times than I could posssibly remember and he is singing "gentle people", though he does pronnounce it "genn- ul" . I really don't get why everyone is always trying to tie this band in with some kind of devil conspiracy. It's frustrating in the extreme.

I have also seen and heard - on headphones too - this movie and this song more times than I could posssibly remember and he is singing "gentle people", though he does pronnounce it "genn- ul" . I really don't get why everyone is always trying to tie this band in with some kind of devil conspiracy. It's frustrating in the extreme.

I do not think that anybody is "trying to tie this band in with some kind of devil conspiracy". I only hear what I think I hear (and I could be Right or I could be Wrong). Let me ask you this: is it not written or known that Jimmy Page and Led Zeppelin had or was connected to some kind of "Satanic" or "Occult" overtones? Mainly by Jimmy Page himself? I am not saying that any of this is accurate or correct, but I know that I am not the first and only one to read anything of the sort and say that Led Zeppelin were/are Devil Worshippers. I believe even the most novice Zeppelin fan has heard or read something of this ilk.

Let me go on Record and say that even if Jimmy Page and the rest of Led Zeppelin were/are "Satanists" then or now, I could really care less what these Great Musicians personally believed in, Religous or Otherwise. All I care about is the Great and Fabulous Music that they have provided me for the past 25+ years. Like I have said more than once before, Led Zeppelin's Music has and will always be Loved by future generations to come. 100 years from now, Led Zeppelin will be more Popular than it is at this moment in History. 2010 - 2110. Just like Bach, Beethoven, Mozart and Wagner is considered "Classical" today, Led Zeppelin's music will be considered the same 100 and 200 years from now. "LONG LIVE THE MIGHTY LED ZEPPELIN"...

I do not think that anybody is "trying to tie this band in with some kind of devil conspiracy". I only hear what I think I hear (and I could be Right or I could be Wrong). Let me ask you this: is it not written or known that Jimmy Page and Led Zeppelin had or was connected to some kind of "Satanic" or "Occult" overtones? Mainly by Jimmy Page himself? I am not saying that any of this is accurate or correct, but I know that I am not the first and only one to read anything of the sort and say that Led Zeppelin were/are Devil Worshippers. I believe even the most novice Zeppelin fan has heard or read something of this ilk.

Let me go on Record and say that even if Jimmy Page and the rest of Led Zeppelin were/are "Satanists" then or now, I could really care less what these Great Musicians personally believed in, Religous or Otherwise. All I care about is the Great and Fabulous Music that they have provided me for the past 25+ years. Like I have said more than once before, Led Zeppelin's Music has and will always be Loved by future generations to come. 100 years from now, Led Zeppelin will be more Popular than it is at this moment in History. 2010 - 2110. Just like Bach, Beethoven, Mozart and Wagner is considered "Classical" today, Led Zeppelin's music will be considered the same 100 and 200 years from now. "LONG LIVE THE MIGHTY LED ZEPPELIN"...

Whatever Jimmy was into - and it certainly wasn't "Devil worshipping" - there is NO suggestion or evidence anywhere that the rest of the band had any involvement whatsoever.

Do I know about Jimmy's interests? - of course I bloody do.

Do I see a man like Robert ever indulging in them? Absolutely no way .

Hey - like you said, you believe what you believe. You hear what you hear.

I'm just 100% adamant that I hear Robert singing a direct quote from another song - with all the lyrics intact.

*edited for poor typing

Edited by Knebby

I thought I've heard "different" too, but never really paid too much attention to the lyrics. Upon listening to it closely, I hear "gentle" -- or maybe "dental" (lol) because Robert doesn't clearly enunciate the g -- but definitely not "devil" by any stretch of the imagination, to my ears.

THE ARGUMENT IS SETTLED. The Wolfman went in and did some quick editing. I played the line and then just the word he says.I repeated the sequence just for good measure. Here's the video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EsTblsN-PNY

Alas, I kneel down. The word Robert says is......

GENTLE

It was just they way he says it. I still like "devil" better because it was a sign of the times (and it's what I've been hearing in my mind since the late 80's ). Plus, you can't help but think of Faust during Jimmy's bow solo. Creepy the first time you hear it (esp. baked). :whistling:

Just listened several times. It does sound more like devil people than gentle people, in fact it really doesn't sound anything like gentle people. Whatever, I don't really put much meaning into it though, just replying to teh original post.

• 4 years later...

I have with three possible solutions to what actually happened here:

#1: Robert hated San Francisco!

#2: He smoked way too much and plainly just slurred the word gentle.

#3: He forgot the lyrics and remembered his best friend's interest in the occult (not implying Jimmy was evil or something, but he was definitely interested), and said "Devil people."

Edited by Gandolf

There are a lot of songs with misheard lyrics. It happens to many many people, they are simply mistaken about they heard. I always heard Gentle and I never thought I heard anything else in any show I ever listened too.

I think the only way to solve this for sure is either to get plant to admit that's what he sang or to get the isolated vocal track and listen to what he says from there.

I'm in the camp who hears gentle. :peace:

• 2 weeks later...