Meet Richard Cole Online (Led Zeppelin ) (May 7th)

SteveAJones

Im sorry but I cant work Facebook could you PLEASE ask him

"Would you ever have considered maybe being the tour manager of any solo projects in the future for members?"

I will gladly ask your question on your behalf during the next Q & A (to be announced). I can't (and won't) speak for him but I can tell you he did work with various other artists before and after the Led Zeppelin era. He and Jimmy spent time together in Los Angeles during the ARMS tour in December 1983, which was Jimmy's first tour after the disbandment of Led Zeppelin. On Friday night he was asked how often does he see Robert and he replied "very rarely".

I will gladly ask your question on your behalf during the next Q & A (to be announced). I can't (and won't) speak for him but I can tell you he did work with various other artists before and after the Led Zeppelin era. He and Jimmy spent time together in Los Angeles during the ARMS tour in December 1983, which was Jimmy's first tour after the disbandment of Led Zeppelin. On Friday night he was asked how often does he see Robert and he replied "very rarely".

Thank you so much, and i was just wondering ever since he was fired after Knebworth if he would of had maybe a negative view on all the members in order to create the book he did.

Thank you so much, and I was just wondering ever since he was fired after Knebworth if he would of had maybe a negative view on all the members in order to create the book he did.

I will pose that question on your behalf also.

Richard was a primary contributor to Stephen Davis' book Hammer of the Gods (1985) and published his own book, Stairway to Heaven: Led Zeppelin Uncensored (1992). I don't know if you've read those books but I didn't find either to be particularly negative, just sensationalist (HotG) and insightful (StH:LZU).

Edited by SteveAJones

I will pose that question on your behalf also.

Richard was a primary contributor to Stephen Davis' book Hammer of the Gods (1985) and published his own book, Stairway to Heaven: Led Zeppelin Uncensored (1992). I don't know if you've read those books but I didn't find either to be particularly negative, just sensationalist (HotG) and insightful (StH:LZU).

I've read Stairway and I agree with you that its a good book to give the fans a really good view of what went on inside led zeppelin yet then Jimmy,Robert and John felt bitter towards Richard after they read parts of the book saying that the stories are distorted and twisted

• 2 years later...

Steve, ask him about the hitchhiker/trucker nicked guitar incident.

Is it true as Benji Lefevre was quoted as saying in Hoskyns book pg. 384?

If so, when? What guitar? And did Richard really punch the trucker?

Thanks!

Edited by Bayougal65

I for one won't waste his time with a bullshit story like that.

Call me a conspiratorialist, but I had the thought that maybe Richard was framed when he was arrested in Italy and that Grant set him up to get him sober &/or out of the way for a time as he appeared to be a lightning rod for many of the debacles of the band and they may have been in a "get it together" frame of mind in preparing for another US tour. I would ask Cole if this notion has ever crossed his mind or if he sees any possibility in it. (Unless you all think this question is too "out there" or out of bounds...I welcome your responses here before I would pose this question or ask that one of you do it on my behalf).

Thanks!

Way too fastidious. Why would someone even remember a minor detail like that 30 years after it happened? Edited by Geezer

I don't see what there is to apologize for. The alleged incident is in a published book - you were doing no harm in asking for verification/clarification. If the story is untrue, it should be B Lefevre who apologizes.

I apologize.

Way too fastidious. Why would someone even remember a minor detail like that 30 years after it happened?

IMHO IF Jimmy Page's guitar was actually stolen in such a manner and then brought back, and I was tour manager I DOUBT I would FORGET that it happened.

But I am a details kind of girl.

Again, I do apologize!

I don't see what there is to apologize for. The alleged incident is in a published book - you were doing no harm in asking for verification/clarification. If the story is untrue, it should be B Lefevre who apologizes.

Kenog,

I do appreciate the kind words of support.

Personally I found it to be an interesting story. As you said, it was in a published source.

I apologized that I didn't know what constituted a "Bull Shit question" in the "Meet Richard Cole" forum.

I will have to pay more than the usual attention to see what everyone else comes up with because I NEVER want to make that same mistake twice.

Bayougal65,

Your question is not a 'bullshit' question. I haven't participated in any of Richard's Q&A sessions, but I have read all of the questions posed by others. Your question is more interesting than many.

Both Cookie0024 and myself have put links earlier on this thread for people to place their questions direct to Mr Cole, and I suggest that you go ahead and do so. Richard can either confirm the story, deny it, say he cannot remember, or not answer. There is no harm done in asking.

You have not made any mistake.

Kind regards

Kenog,

I do appreciate the kind words of support.
Personally I found it to be an interesting story. As you said, it was in a published source.

I apologized that I didn't know what constituted a "Bull Shit question" in the "Meet Richard Cole" forum.

I will have to pay more than the usual attention to see what everyone else comes up with because I NEVER want to make that same mistake twice.

Edited by kenog

Fair enough, that's the approach I'll take if Bayougal doesn't ask it. I quite like that approach actually, since it was published in that book. No mistake has been made here by Bayougal. It's not a bs question for the forum(s), just a bs question for me to pose out of the blue without reason.

Edited by SteveAJones

Call me a conspiratorialist, but I had the thought that maybe Richard was framed when he was arrested in Italy and that Grant set him up to get him sober &/or out of the way for a time as he appeared to be a lightning rod for many of the debacles of the band and they may have been in a "get it together" frame of mind in preparing for another US tour. I would ask Cole if this notion has ever crossed his mind or if he sees any possibility in it. (Unless you all think this question is too "out there" or out of bounds...I welcome your responses here before I would pose this question or ask that one of you do it on my behalf).

It's a fair question but I'll have to ask offline first if he takes no offense to his imprisonment becoming a topic of discussion. Having said that, if I recall correctly Peter had already informed Richard he was not being retained for the Over Europe Tour. When news finally reached him in prison that one of the band members had died, he immediately thought it must have been Jimmy.

Edited by SteveAJones

SAJ,

I know you are involved with the Richard Cole Appreciation Society Facebook page - well done :). I believe you are right to ask beforehand because the imprisonment may be an episode in his life he wants to put behind him. As for the question of him being framed, it is possible that he was set up, but not by anyone in the LZ camp, but by the London Metropolitan Police. I'll explain. From memory (eek!!), in 1980 before RC turned up in Italy, there was an item in either the UK Daily Express or the Daily Mail (more likely the Express) about a really good looking model who had been found dead from a heroin overdose. The article stated that she was/had been a girlfriend of RC, and that the police wanted to speak to him as part of their inquiries. Now, there was no reason to believe that RC was in any way directly involved, but the cops were aware of him. And I don't believe that is beyond the realm of possibilities that if anyone tipped off the Italian police about his arrival in their country, and set him up, it might be the London cops. We will never know!

I really can't see Richard wanting to discuss conspiracy theories. Perhaps a more general question related to his experience in the Regina Coeli would be more readily answered, as it is apparently a notorious prison. I believe you are allowed to get your meals etc sent in from outside - perhaps a question about that type of thing.

From reading the Facebook page, I get the feeling that Sean Atkinson is trying to encourage people to pose questions about RC's pre-LZ career. Anyway, I think it's great that someone as senior in the LZ road crew takes time out to do these Q & A sessions. Thank you Richard.

It's a fair question but I'll have to ask offline first if he takes no offense to his imprisonment becoming a topic of discussion. Having said that, if I recall correctly Peter had already informed Richard he was not being retained for the Over Europe Tour. When news finally reached him in prison that one of the band members had died, he immediately thought it must have been Jimmy.

Edited by kenog

Multiple orgasm consensus among enlightened fans of the '77 tour indicate to me that Los Angeles, Landover, and Cleveland were the stellar shows of the the 44 performed during this run. Opinions vary.

Great concerts indeed. There is damn good audio to back these claims up.

I would like Mr.Cole to be asked what the band or entourage considered to be performances that ranked high on the '77 tour, that might be flying under our radar.

This would also include the dealings with local government officials and venue operators of said cities, and how accommodating or not accommodating they were.

Mainly, the top four or five concerts where the band and management knew Led Zeppelin hit it out of the park, maybe a little further than usual.

I've asked him several questions and I've always received underwhelming answers. And no, my questions haven't been of poor taste or anything invoking something scandalous. I suppose my hopes were he would actually take the time to respond thoroughly to good questions considering how often the questionnaire is advertised.

I have a question for Richard Cole. In his book, "Stairway to Heaven" he mentioned how stressed out he was over the band's security. When did Led Zeppelin start hiring security to accompany the band when they performed?

On the '77 tour.

Richard Cole...hmmm, wouldn't it be interesting to hear Robert Plant ask him a question or two...For me - Richard did his best up until

1977 when all hell broke loose and the Zeppelin name was tarnished under his watch.

Cole was their manager from 1968 up to and including 1979. The band became the world's #1 music attraction in the 70s, so it's kind of unfair to pan Cole. Edited by Geezer