You Shook Me - Beat Club video

BillyMacQ

Thanks, but all due credit goes to the cat who posted the video to YouTube. BZPC (long time Phreak Chris B. especially) just did the "finding."

Any '77 video speculation/discussion is for another thread.

Love,

Billy

fair enough.

thanks

Pretty amazing, but not all that surprising I guess, how little buzz this find has generated today. Only a bit more than 100 views on YouTube, only two comments left (one is mine), not a word about it in other Zep forums, not much interest here. Realize it's a lip synched/mimed performance and not a live clip, but still an important find in Led Zep history.

Jimmy's in full-on Supershow gear.

Robert's wearing a shirt he also sported during one of the early Copenhagen gigs. http://www.angel.dk/zeppelin/Pages/CD/ZepC_22A.html

Dig JPJ's groovy vest.

Wonder what kind of beer that is on top of JPJ's amp?

The heck is that white thing on top of Jimmy's amp?

Has Bonzo ever looked more bored? I'm guessing he's "playing" a house kit.

Love,

Billy

Without knowing the full history, it doesn't look "mimed" to me so much as the possible original soundtrack not being available and so the studio track being stuck onto the footage. Just doesn't look like Robert is trying to sing in time. Just my thoughts.

I don't know, CL, doesn't look like Robert, JPJ and Bonzo are doing much "playing" along with the track. More like waving at their guitars, drums and cymbals.

That is a house drum kit, btw. Carmine Appice "plays" the same one in a Vanilla Fudge clip from the same show.

Love,

Billy

Fair enough. Same deal with the BIGLY clip from the Beat Club. Lip synched/mimed "performance."

Beat Club = German TV music show, btw.

Off topic - Be sure to check out the Vanilla Fudge footage at the same YouTube channel. Also lip synched/mimed, but still great fun to watch. Great clip of early Yes there, too.

Love,

Billy

Fair enough. Same deal with the BIGLY clip from the Beat Club. Lip synched/mimed "performance."

Beat Club = German TV music show, btw.

Off topic - Be sure to check out the Vanilla Fudge footage at the same YouTube channel. Also lip synched/mimed, but still great fun to watch. Great clip of early Yes there, too.

Love,

Billy

...I do recall this quite some time back, but thank you for posting it again. Neil Christian also performed on this show (If only we could see Jimmy with Neil)

...add to clarify....

I didn't see the Video on This Official Site, I do recall strongly a foreign website...

Nice to see this pop up.

Thanks Bill/Chris.

Bonzo's miming is the funniest as this is the only time I think I've ever seen him "play" in this style.

Good find. I wonder what else might pop up as Sessions is being revamped.

Good footage but obviously dubbed with the LZ I studio mix, as Knebby has suggested.

Not a bad effort from whomever edited it.

It wouldn't surprise if there are many more lost gems out there on 8mm or videotape with hopefully sound.

Here's hoping some more surface in the not too distant future.

I'm sure there's still a fair amount of amateur video out there. When speaking to a friend who contributed video footage to the official DVD release, he mentioned that security wasn't all that tight - at least in 1973 - and that it wouldn't surprise him if lots of other people were also able to smuggle in cameras to the shows. The only problem, of course, is that most of that amateur video will be silent given the technology (or lack thereof) available at the time.

As far as TV appearances, I'm fairly sure that well has run dry with the release of the YSM footage, although I am told by a reliable source that it's possible Led Zep also had a run through Dazed and Confused during the Beat Club session.

Love,

Billy

Pretty cool that Meg Ireland's claims on FBO have been vindicated with this discovery, too. She was all over the BIGLY and YSM clips years ago and was basically written off by the "experts" in charge over there. What's that old saying about he/she who laughs last? Enjoy a good chuckle, Meg. You earned it.

Love,

Billy

Archived