Led Zeppelin Theft

I don't know what BestBandStill is referring to, but I'm referring to the theft of Jimmy Page's Black Beauty guitar in Vancouver March 1970. It's never been found, even after Jimmy placed an ad seeking to find it.

There are photos of Jimmy with it backstage at Curtis Hixson Hall in Tampa on April 9, 1970.

I show it was stolen April 13, 1970 as they were flown Minneapolis > Milwaukee > Toronto > Montreal. It never turned up in Montreal.

It probably won't help Jimmy's cause (to get BB back) much but hey, at least some game's author is thinking about it.

"Jimmy Vs Zombies"

Game Description: It's time to keep safe your city from a zombie invasion and to get Jimmy's guitar back ... Play this "Run & Gun & Granny Tower Defense" Game solo, coop, or versus, and save the day !

• 11 months later...

I sometimes wonder whether there really was a theft, and whether the whole thing was staged for publicity. Also, by claiming that the money was "stolen", they would be able to deduct the "loss" against taxes, thereby making a handsome profit.

However, if the theft was in fact real, I don't care what anyone says, my money has always been on Cole.

From Wikipedia:

The scenes of police chasing a half-naked intruder and of Grant berating the promoter for receiving kickbacks were both shot at the Baltimore Civic Center on 23 July 1973. Grant purportedly recommended the "Dazed and Confused" sequence wherein the camera zooms into Page's eyes and cuts to the scene.[3]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Song_Remains_the_Same_(film)#Original_filming

Anybody know at where or at what point/airport Jimmy's black beauty went missing in 1970? I once saw a kid playing that same style black Gibson with the big tremelo arm at SPCPA in St. Paul MN a year or two ago, and have to admit my mind went to Jimmy's missing black beauty and thinking "that's a pretty darn sweet guitar for a high school kid to be playing", and I wondered if the kid's Dad would break out in a sweat or get twitchy if I asked "So where'd you get that Gibson?", ha ha. Of course, there's others out there that look the same, esp with all the reproduction-type models, but it did make me sick to think someone other than Jimmy is be out there somewhere playing it, maybe even in plain sight.

I sometimes wonder whether there really was a theft, and whether the whole thing was staged for publicity. Also, by claiming that the money was "stolen", they would be able to deduct the "loss" against taxes, thereby making a handsome profit.

However, if the theft was in fact real, I don't care what anyone says, my money has always been on Cole.

Richard Cole and Peter Grant passed polygraph tests administered by the New York Police Department.

But those backstage scenes were in Philadelphia, right?

That scene was filmed at the Baltimore Civic Center on July 23, 1973. The man getting yelled at is believed to be a guy named Denny, who ran concessions for ARA, short for Automatic Retailers of America, now known as ARAMARK.

Sorry, I remember Baltimore now. I got it confused with nearby Philly.

As for the Polygraph tests, I wouldn't put much faith in those, especially going by polygraph standards used in 1973. The Zeppelin machine also had some very expensive legal representatives in those days, overseen by Steve Weiss. I also don't think the NYPD would have been that energetic on pursuing a criminal cases involving what they probably viewed as an internal Zeppelin matter. I think I recall reading that Grant had some early doubts about Cole's possible involvement but let it go. It was after all, Cole who locked the money away in the lockbox and no-one else, other than probably hotel security, who had a key. I guess it could very easily have been someone else, but I just think Cole, from what I've read of him, is one sleazy guy who went on to drug addiction, convincing Grant to hire John Bindon, and getting fired for basically acting like the people he was hired to serve. Rock stars can, and are expected to, get messed-up, but the management and support staff are not.

Sorry, I remember Baltimore now. I got it confused with nearby Philly.

As for the Polygraph tests, I wouldn't put much faith in those, especially going by polygraph standards used in 1973. The Zeppelin machine also had some very expensive legal representatives in those days, overseen by Steve Weiss. I also don't think the NYPD would have been that energetic on pursuing a criminal cases involving what they probably viewed as an internal Zeppelin matter. I think I recall reading that Grant had some early doubts about Cole's possible involvement but let it go. It was after all, Cole who locked the money away in the lockbox and no-one else, other than probably hotel security, who had a key. I guess it could very easily have been someone else, but I just think Cole, from what I've read of him, is one sleazy guy who went on to drug addiction, convincing Grant to hire John Bindon, and getting fired for basically acting like the people he was hired to serve. Rock stars can, and are expected to, get messed-up, but the management and support staff are not.

I personally choose to believe Richard Cole would never knowingly, in his right mind betray Peter Grant.

I believe also that Cole would never betray Grant.He would be seriously be dismissed and been beaten to a pulp if there was any indication of his involvement in the robbery.My moneys on the mob because they 'owned 'New York at this time .Various artists and promoters were being hassled.Why did Bill Graham shut down the Fillmores?Wishbone Ash had their gear stolen in Chicago by the mob.They weren't just into the clothing industry.As intimidating as Grant was he was no match for the mafia.

I agree with your observation Alchemist but I remember reading that Bill was having trouble with the mob in the east,much less in the west where the bikers were more prominent.Like Peter Grant,Bill Graham could be tough as nails but was no match for the mob.As for the music scene changing disco was just round the corner in which my wife has a totally horrific collection that I did not see until we tied the knot.

Archived