World Cup 2010

toscano

What's a Commie?:rolleyes:

See, we have this Americo-centric mentality and the "new" sport of soccer was so foreign as to be something to make fun of. And the audacity to have foreigners call it football !!! Heresy!!! :lol:

671rhz.jpg

igccwg.jpg

As I recall almost the same team defeated England 3-0 a couple of years back!

Sorry, I missed this initially. When was this? The last time Germany beat us 3-0 was in 1985.

*Oh sorry, I get it - Australia! Like I said, we like you guys.

And the audacity to have foreigners call it football !!! Heresy!!! :lol:

Wiki:

"The history of American football can be traced to early versions of rugby football and association football. Both games have their origins in varieties of football played in the United Kingdom in the mid-19th century"

And please remind me: roughly what proportion of the duration of the average game of 'American football' involves ball-to-foot contact?

And please remind me: roughly what proportion of the duration of the average game of 'American football' involves ball-to-foot contact?

Do you mean bol to fut ? :lol:

It's not about quantity, but quality! ;)

World Cup strike spreads to half of venues

JOHANNESBURG — A strike by World Cup stadium stewards over pay has spread to half the tournament's 10 venues Tuesday.

Johannesburg police say they are bringing in more than 1,000 officers to guarantee security for the game between Brazil and North Korea later Tuesday at Ellis Park.

Meanwhile, several hundred guards walked off the job at Soccer City, the main World Cup stadium in Johannesburg. There is no match there Tuesday.

Police say they also have taken over security at stadiums in Durban, Cape Town and Port Elizabeth, where Portugal and Ivory Coast are playing.

JOHANNESBURG (AP) — Stadium stewards went on strike for better wages outside Ellis Park ahead of a World Cup match between Brazil and North Korea, while demonstrators in Durban broke up after receiving payment.

Both the strike and the protest Tuesday were part of a wider dispute between security staff at the World Cup stadiums and a private contractor. They come against a backdrop of concern about lax security at tournament venues.

At Ellis Park, hundreds of workers chanted, whistled and sang outside the stadium after calling a strike around midday.

A 26-year-old man from Tembisa said he's been offered 190 rand ($25) to work 10 hours, and that pay has been going down since he started work on May 27. He would work for 500 rand ($65), he said. The man spoke on condition of anonymity for fear of reprisals.

World Cup organizers have said that police will take over security if stewards in Johannesburg follow their colleagues in Durban and Cape Town by striking.

In Durban, some 2,000 stewards protested over wages Tuesday, calling on FIFA to confirm what they should earn for working at the tournament.

Most of the demonstrators left after a couple of hours when they were paid 205 rand ($26.50) in exchange for turning in their orange stewards' bibs.

"I am not happy about it, but I'm all right," a man who gave only his first name, James, said as he left the protest.

The demonstration started with about 150 stewards dancing, chanting and singing as they walked from near the Moses Mabhida Stadium to a rally near Durban's busy downtown railroad. As their numbers swelled, they walked in an orderly column back to the stadium, where dozens of police shepherded them into a fenced-off field.

The stewards and a union official both called on FIFA to mediate in the dispute with Stallion Security Consortium, which has not commented on the situation.

"We are trying to gather more information, so we can attempt to engage FIFA and the local organizing committee and find a solution," South African Transport and Allied Workers Union coordinator Mzwandile Jackson Simon said.

"There are indications they are willing to work something out," he added. "I don't think police will manage on their own."

Simon said the union is convinced that Stallion has made wage commitments to the stewards that were not fulfilled, and that the company needs to be an active part of efforts to resolve the dispute.

On Monday, police took over security at stadiums in Durban and Cape Town after the stewards protested. Both cities are scheduled to host semifinals next month. Police were posted around the Durban stadium Tuesday and carried out checks that previously were done by the stewards.

Durban police used tear gas and rubber bullets after Sunday's match between Germany and Australia to disperse a crowd of stewards at the stadium.

The chief executive of the World Cup organizing committee, Danny Jordaan, said Monday he respects workers' rights but called match-day disruptions "unacceptable" and said authorities "will not hesitate to take action in such instances."

Well I have been watching the games every morning in the EST time zone. Get to see Spain tomorrow. I am amazed at the beauty of Africa, the shots I have seen. Would love to see Cape town. But there has been much trouble there in the past. Hopefully this tournament continues the way it has. They are doing a fine job. Still way too soon to get a feel as to who will win. Brazil and Germany cant ever be counted out. England, repace that bum in goal!!!!!

Yeah pretty surprised Brasil only managed a 2-1 victory over N. Korea. Thought it was gonna be like the Germany - Australia game with of course Brasil on top.

I feel the same way. I thought that Brazil was going to beat North Korea 3-0 or something like that, but the North Koreans actually played pretty good defense, and didn't get frustrated even after Brazil went up 2-0 by scoring a goal themselves in the 88th minute. From this game it's clear that North Korea won't be a cake-walk for Portugal and Ivory Coast.

On a side note I fear for the the chances of the USA squad. We have a big game against Slovenia on Friday that really will determine whether or not we advance (it's a given that England will win the group and that Algeria will lose both it's next two games). And even if we get second place in the group, we have to play the winners of Group D which will no doubt be the Germans, against whom we don't have a shot in hell :(

I feel the same way. I thought that Brazil was going to beat North Korea 3-0 or something like that, but the North Koreans actually played pretty good defense, and didn't get frustrated even after Brazil went up 2-0 by scoring a goal themselves in the 88th minute. From this game it's clear that North Korea won't be a cake-walk for Portugal and Ivory Coast.

On a side note I fear for the the chances of the USA squad. We have a big game against Slovenia on Friday that really will determine whether or not we advance (it's a given that England will win the group and that Algeria will lose both it's next two games). And even if we get second place in the group, we have to play the winners of Group D which will no doubt be the Germans, against whom we don't have a shot in hell sad.gif

How can anything be a given in soccer. How in the devil did New Zealand tie that game? N Korea, the commies that they are, played the New Jersey trap (if you know hockey). Once they let the first one in, it all changes. That is how all the underdogs play in soccer. That is why I wish they would change the offsides rule. Im glad Slovakia's goal counted. That would have been another bogus offside call. Some of the diving is a joke too. Blind refs.

How can anything be a given in soccer. How in the devil did New Zealand tie that game? N Korea, the commies that they are, played the New Jersey trap (if you know hockey). Once they let the first one in, it all changes. That is how all the underdogs play in soccer. That is why I wish they would change the offsides rule. Im glad Slovakia's goal counted. That would have been another bogus offside call. Some of the diving is a joke too. Blind refs.

*cough* Christiano Ronaldo *cough*

*cough* Christiano Ronaldo *cough*

Yes, he is guilty as they come. But he isnt the only one. was not impressed with Portugal. But they said both those teams would beat N korea. Doesnt look that way now? I think N Korea has a shot against Portugal. But I think Ivory Coast will be the second team out of that group. Must get up early to catch these games. Not like in the past when you could watch in the local watering hole. Now, coffee unless you like your beer real early. Speaking of which, I want to see who wins the battle of the brews from the 32 countries. I actually found that English beer in my local store. Boddington I think its called. I am going to try it soon. Go England. Unless Green happens to cause disaster again.

Same with the Pommies!

Hmmm England haven't been spanked in the World Cup in my personal living memory.

1982. Went out after a 0-0 draw against hosts Spain.

1986. Went out in the 1/4 finals after Maradona's hand ball goal for Argentina and the game finished 2-1.

1990. Went out after a penalty shootout in the semi final against Germany, who went on to win it.

1998. Went out in a penalty shootout against Argentina after playing much of the game with 10 men.

2002. Went out via a flukey free kick against Brazil and the game finished 2-1.

2006. Went out in a penalty shootout against Portugal, again after playing with 10 men.

I don't see any spankings there over the last 30 years. :)

Hmmm England haven't been spanked in the World Cup in my personal living memory.

1982. Went out after a 0-0 draw against hosts Spain.

1986. Went out in the 1/4 finals after Maradona's hand ball goal for Argentina and the game finished 2-1.

1990. Went out after a penalty shootout in the semi final against Germany, who went on to win it.

1998. Went out in a penalty shootout against Argentina after playing much of the game with 10 men.

2002. Went out via a flukey free kick against Brazil and the game finished 2-1.

2006. Went out in a penalty shootout against Portugal, again after playing with 10 men.

I don't see any spankings there over the last 30 years. smile.gif

But it could happen! ohmy.gif

But it could happen! ohmy.gif

Face the facts, Reggie - the only reason you dags are even at the finals is because your qualifying group consists of joke teams like American Samoa, who you managed to beat about 75-0 last time.

If you were in Europe (er, thinking about it, most of you already are :(), you'd have no hope of ever qualifying.

Archived