Criticising God!

SIBLY

Just a mindplay but wouldn't you think they all are that mature that they could deliver an brand, new album? The only problem i could see are the pressure on doing the same, old bluesrock instead anything new - and what about Jimmy? Plant and JPJ have both done pretty different stuff at their solo career so i think they could get on fine. The only one who could be too set on his ways would be Jimmy.

Uh wait, he did play with Yes briefly.

but STILL.

The last time P & P tried to record on WITC the result wasn't very satisfying was it? Page would want Riffs (me too!) Plant would want ethnic and JP would want keyboards. I'm not sure new recordings would be as easy to pull off as just playing live. Although, I think MR would be a much better album with a few Page riffs on it.

Actually, maybe funky world riff rock with the occasional organ solo would be fabulousl. Sounds like Kashmir doesn't it!

The last time P & P tried to record on WITC the result wasn't very satisfying was it? Page would want Riffs (me too!) Plant would want ethnic and JP would want keyboards. I'm not sure new recordings would be as easy to pull off as just playing live. Although, I think MR would be a much better album with a few Page riffs on it.

Actually, maybe funky world riff rock with the occasional organ solo would be fabulousl. Sounds like Kashmir doesn't it!

Haha, exactly my thoughts: instead of fighting with each other they could try to incorporate their wishes in the style!

And about MR: I dunno really, like to some rockish pieces like Freedom Fries could definitely get better with few touches from Page ...

... but on the other hand, the album is so refreshingly lacking of guitar soloing that i wouldn't want to see him on the other songs. Besides, aren't the guitars pretty toned down on the album?

Haha, exactly my thoughts: instead of fighting with each other they could try to incorporate their wishes in the style!

And about MR: I dunno really, like to some rockish pieces like Freedom Fries could definitely get better with few touches from Page ...

... but on the other hand, the album is so refreshingly lacking of guitar soloing that i wouldn't want to see him on the other songs. Besides, aren't the guitars pretty toned down on the album?

Sorry, I don't undersatnd that concept. :D

I'M GOING TO TAKE A CHANCE HERE.....

1) MY OWN ELDEST SON DIED IN HIS TEENS AFTER STRUGGLING WITH having been born with half of his heart and lifelong severe disability. So, as a parent who lost a child, I understand something about how Robert's loss of his son affected his sense of depth and introspection, and then John died.

You don't just "get over it" when a child dies. You never get over it. I think Robert Plant is a person of depth who loves what he does. I don't think he is trying to create a loss for his fans. He continues to perform. His music has had a deep affect on me....led me to become a writer/multi-instrumentalist/producer. 'All of My Love' is also a beautiful memorial to his son.

It matters most what he thinks of performing with Led Zeppelin. Yet, there is a subtle duty to be understanding of the importance this union has for the lives of the others....and especially Jason, those who gave thier lives with him to "be" Led Zeppelin.

2) I AM the ONLY WOMAN PRODUCER/GUITARIST.....after Jim Page, Angus Young, and David Gilmour, to solicit the work of Chris Slade former Firm drummer.

See....it really isn't known what concerns drive Plant. I suspect he has concerns we don't know about. I very much admire Page (we sought the same drummer for style) and are similar in terms of creative and engineering production interests. I don't know what it is that prevents a kind of union on purpose, but each has his concerns.

As a musician myself I don't experience Led Zeppelin in the same way fans do, though I admire thier work. I think that they are seeing this as an issue of a "life's work" and they have concerns about the quality of the performance and how they will be remembered. Yet, I think it is important not to have to be "perfect"...but for one's music to be infused with emotion and humanity - one's own humanity.

That is why the Velvet Underground, MC5, Patti Smith,...especially Bob Dylan, and many of the influences of Led Zeppelin personally....are admired for the 'peculiar imperfections' in thier recordings and performances. Sometimes what we think "Must be perfect"....as musicians, is far more meaningful when it contains the light of our humanity.

Led Zeppelin's BEST recordings are a marvel of imperfect 'overage' - analogue distortion, less EQ, and the humanity in thier sound. In fact, I am aiming for that sound (as is Daptone Records, the home of the DAP Kings, the backup band of Amy Winehouse). Led Zeppelin is at it's best when everything isn't so "perfect" mechanical and compressed --- because of the humanity in those recordings. So, I think Robert need not be fearful of anything. Just use the best monitors - really get the monitoring down, and it will be okay.

In a way, he owes his son who died - to live up to his greatest potential, walk out there, and sing 'All of My Love' with John's son - before the whole world.

3) ONE LAST IDEA.........DO THE TOUR FOR AFRICA - for the love of the children of Africa, for humanity itself. Compassion is man's highest purpose. By uniting man's creativity - in this case, the music of Led Zeppelin, with the highest cause of man, it seems the most dignified way to burn as brightly as possible and not to hide one's light under a bushel. It is also the most spectacular way to honor thier music - by giving it away to the World's children as thier most heartfelt gift, and in memory of Karac. Now that would be DESTINY.

Like the song says, When all is ONE and ONE is all.....to be a rock and not to roll.

That is - do the concert for ONE.ORG - World Vision - and to "be" truly human in one's artistry and destiny, rather than to speak or sing about something. I think that would be the ultimate outcome, but its just my opinion. Thanks for bearing with it's length. LOL

I don't think there's the slightest inkling of Robert not having respect for his fans--quite the opposite. He's a singer--he follows what feels right for him musically, not what the fanbase wants, or what's going to generate the most income. I'm sure he's quite aware that people want more shows from the reassembled Zeppelin, and when the desires of the multitude plus the four band members coincide, great. When they don't--Robert owes us NOTHING except to follow his own musical vision. That's what makes him great.

I for one don't want to hear him sing Stairway 17 times with a gun to his head.

(Btw, just like old times, eh, SunChild? ;) Seem to remember we had this debate on the old board!)

Yeah. :) This discussion is probably eternal, LOL! Unless... Zeppelin flies again! ;)

Have to agree, yeccch to the idea of him singing STH "17 times with a gun to his head"! I just wish he didn't mind so much. I wish there was a way for him to sing it 17 times without a gun to his head!

I don't think he really dis-repects the fans, it just feels like it sometimes. It is my knee jerk reaction to all this exquisite understanding of Mr Plant's innermost feelings to respond, "hey, what about my personal feelings?" He's not the only human being to suffer loss in this world. Many people who've suffered perform all sorts of acts for others every day, with no fanfare whatsoever. So many fans find solace in this music. He could provide it again even though, yes, he provides it wth other music too.

He really is in a most privileged position.

Hello again, I am so sorry for your loss. That's heartbreaking.

You wrote -

In a way, he owes his son who died - to live up to his greatest potential, walk out

there, and sing 'All of My Love' with John's son - before the whole world.

Oh, my goodness, yes! I would weep if he were able to do that.

3) ONE LAST IDEA.........DO THE TOUR FOR AFRICA - for the love of the children of Africa, for humanity itself. Compassion is man's highest purpose. By uniting man's creativity - in this case, the music of Led Zeppelin, with the highest cause of man, it seems the most dignified way to burn as brightly as possible and not to hide one's light under a bushel. It is also the most spectacular way to honor thier music - by giving it away to the World's children as thier most heartfelt gift, and in memory of Karac. Now that would be DESTINY.

Like the song says, When all is ONE and ONE is all.....to be a rock and not to roll.

This is a beautiful idea, truly.

When I think of Robert's artistic direction, I am reminded of this quote from David Hockney- "My duty as an artist is to overcome and alleviate the sterility of despair." Given the response of a large section of the world (for crying out loud) there is a clear path ahead of the survivors of Led Zeppelin towards doing just that.

But hey, no pressure... :rolleyes:

• 2 weeks later...
I really really hope they'll do this tour but if Robert doesn't want to I won't hate him for that...You gotta understand him, you didn't live his life, you're not him...you don't know what it was like being in Led Zeppelin...we don't know how he felt...but one thing we know for sure is that he suffered a lot and that Led Zeppelin isn't necessarly associated to something good for him, ya know? cuz of Bonzo...cuz of his son's death...He tried so hard for years and years to detach himself from this band so I think no one can judge him if he doesn't want to do a tour. I admire, respect and love this guy to death, which ever decision he takes, I'll respect it and I'll keep on buying his cds, admiring him, going to his gigs etc.

I think that pretty much sums things up! If he doesnt want to do it, he doesnt want to do it! And I think it's clear that this IS just a one-off....although his recent comments about a tour being more likely if people stopped constantly talking about it does open the door the tiniest bit!

Yes, it's true, being in Zeppelin was no joy-ride after the first couple of years.

If anyone thinks that it was all a good trip - they don't know Zep very well!

As a matter of fact JPJ, Robert, and Bonzo all felt like leaving the band and the craziness behind after a while. But they stuck it out because Zep was bigger than the moment and they carried on.

Especially Robert, man, he's got guts! He weathered so many storms and now he captains his own ship. Well deserved.

Sure, we want Zep to tour. We want more than the O2. So does Jimmy - I feel for him. Zep is his pride and joy - his love. He wants to share those gifts beyond the O2. But, it may be out of his hands - and for him not to control Zep's destiny must be killin' him inside.

Where shall he go after O2? Tour on his own? I'd go see him play by himself if I had to!

Well, the Genie IS out - what will she give as to granting wishes...

:blink:There is something worse than driving through a blizzard in December, 1968?

:blink:There is something worse than driving through a blizzard in December, 1968?

This pretty much scared the shit out of Percy and Bonzo if I remember correctly...(think I read this somewhere. Got a bad memory...and I'm only 21! :blink: )

but Robert and the band are giving you a chance to see them again. it's not like all the tickets went up for sale to the highest bidder or to the first in line, it was a lottery. everyone who wanted to try their luck had a chance. that was the fair thing to do, and they did it. as someone said, this is the end of an era, it has to end sometime, why not let it go with dignity instead of drawing it out? there will come a time when nobody alive will have gotten a chance to see Zep, will the band still "owe" the legions of fans that I'm sure they'll still have? I think Plant is being stubborn because he was the closest to Bonham and I think he's the only one looking at this as a point of disrespect towards Bonham and in terms of the legacy of the band itself. Plant has been against reforming from the moment Bonham died, he knows it's not Zep without Bonzo and just wants to move on from what's already gone. what I don't understand is why the fans who love him so much feel that he owes them and would rather cajole him into touring than let him move on and be happy and make new music?

but Robert and the band are giving you a chance to see them again. it's not like all the tickets went up for sale to the highest bidder or to the first in line, it was a lottery. everyone who wanted to try their luck had a chance. that was the fair thing to do, and they did it. as someone said, this is the end of an era, it has to end sometime, why not let it go with dignity instead of drawing it out? there will come a time when nobody alive will have gotten a chance to see Zep, will the band still "owe" the legions of fans that I'm sure they'll still have? I think Plant is being stubborn because he was the closest to Bonham and I think he's the only one looking at this as a point of disrespect towards Bonham and in terms of the legacy of the band itself. Plant has been against reforming from the moment Bonham died, he knows it's not Zep without Bonzo and just wants to move on from what's already gone. what I don't understand is why the fans who love him so much feel that he owes them and would rather cajole him into touring than let him move on and be happy and make new music?

He needs to fulfill his true purpose in the here and now, which may differ from the past.

Well...actually.....his whole lifestyle, his career, his millions in the bank all came from us....so that's a moot point, really.

true enough, but then again, it's not like we just threw money at some random guy on the street, is it? if I recall properly, he did make a wagon-load of music to give us, did he not? is that not good enough to repay the debt he "owes" us?

Archived