Dennis Hopper RIP

danelectro59

R.I.P. Hopp

I don't know the history of his cancer diagnosis but I'm curious as to weather or not his heavy alcohol and drug use may have masked his symptoms where they didn't catch it until it had progressed far along.

They annouced the diagnosis in October of 09 so the cancer must have been in the later stages.

I would guess age would have also played a roll, either way the treatments are no pic-nic either.

RIP Dennis. You were great.

Frank Booth:

Don't be a good neighbor anymore to her. I'll have to send you a love letter! Straight from my heart, fucker! You know what a love letter is? It's a bullet from a fucking gun, fucker! You receive a love letter from me, and you're fucked forever! You understand, fuck? I'll send you straight to hell, fucker!... In dreams... I walk with you. In dreams... I talk to you. In dreams, you're mine... all the time. Forever.

Has was 74 years old, which is a decently long life, so I think maybe unfortunately he was negligent about his medical care. No one wants to do it, but fur guys it's really important to get those prostate checks, and to get blood work etc consistently.

Prostate cancer is easy to catch early and treat, so I'm guessing he wasn't paying attention and getting regular medical checkups, otherwise they would have caught it.

It sucks. Hopper was a great actor, especially playing psycho roles. It's a big loss.

It's sort of a shame this thread didn't get more responses. I guess younger members of the forum aren't really aware of him. Dennis Hopper was definately one of the last living representations of "cool" from a bygone era, & I'm not just talking about "Easy Rider". Everything from "Rebel Without A Cause" & "Giant" with James Dean to "The Sons Of Katie Elder" & "True Grit" with John Wayne to his insane drug induced performance in "Apocalypse Now" to his newfound sobriety yet psycho portrayals in "Blue Velvet" & "River's Edge". The guy was on the cusp of everything considered "cool", whether it was hanging out with Dean & Elvis in the 50's or hanging with Dylan & the Warhol crowd in the 60's. He was a fly on the wall for a great part of what was going on in pop culture on top of what he himself contributed to it. I have interviews with him discussing his past & those stories are among the most fascinating and hilarious stories I've ever heard from anyone in the entertainment industry. He was the real deal, a renegade & true original, & he'll be sorely missed.

Very sad. :( Great actor. He was a cool man, I really liked him. My favorite Dennis Hopper movie is Easy Rider, which is one of my favorite movies of all time. One of the greatest and coolest actors of all time in my opinion. R.I.P. Dennis Hopper.

My favorite Dennis Hopper movie is Easy Rider, which is one of my favorite movies of all time.

Can't argue with that. Along with Peter Fonda and Jack Nicholson, Hopper's role in Easy Rider helped define a generation. Not too many films are capable of doing that.

Honestly, one of my favorite Hopper roles was as "Shooter" in Hoosiers. Some say playing an alcoholic isn't hard if you are, or close to being one. I find that complete rubbish. He was convincing and should have had more acclaim for it.

Even though his death was said to be imminent for months now, it was still very sad to hear this news on Saturday. So many of Dennis' performances are unforgettable, especially (for me) the whacked-out photojournalist in Apocalypse Now, "I'm a little man, I'm a little man, he's... he's a great man!! I should have been a pair of ragged claws scuttling across floors of silent seas..." The aforementioned Frank Booth from Blue Velvet, the creepy but vulnerable Feck in "River's Edge" with his blow-up doll. Oh man, don't even get me started on Easy Rider or Speed or The Trip... He was a true original.

R.I.P. Hopp

I don't know the history of his cancer diagnosis but I'm curious as to weather or not his heavy alcohol and drug use may have masked his symptoms where they didn't catch it until it had progressed far along.

Dennis was sober for over 20 years.

About a year ago I saw an ad for an investment company ...Dennis was the spokesperson...it was all about the importance of a good retiremnt plan..there was this groovy 60's tune in the background..it was a neat commercial...took the fear out of aging...made it sound more like an adventure...

R.I.P. DENNIS

Juliet xo

• 3 weeks later...

Archived