Rush

lzzoso

• 2 months later...

Well, we were at the September 29 show in the ATL (OK, Alpharetta), and, as usual, Rush DID NOT disappoint.

When I saw the first leg of the Snakes and Arrows tour, I commented that the only possible thing that could have made it better was if they had played 2112.

When I saw the second leg of the same tour, they played 2112 (Temples of Syrinx).

So, heading to this show, I said the only thing that would make it better now would be to hear Working Man.

You guessed it...

and when they took off into Working Man I thought my head was gonna asplode!

And now for the requisite shitty phonecam pics...

We were in the 18th row - most excellent seats!

40161_1521928262492_1663144962_1278277_5740371_n.jpg

Just before the show began.

40161_1521928302493_1663144962_1278278_3287384_n.jpg

Ditto.

40161_1521928342494_1663144962_1278279_5912316_n.jpg

I have no idea who this guy is. lulz.

40161_1521928382495_1663144962_1278280_1176109_n.jpg

The stage setup had a retro/throwback motif, even the big screen.

40161_1521928502498_1663144962_1278283_2175933_n.jpg

40161_1521928542499_1663144962_1278284_6889544_n.jpg

40161_1521928622501_1663144962_1278285_1731201_n.jpg

33480_1521929302518_1663144962_1278287_954624_n.jpg

33480_1521929422521_1663144962_1278290_2854324_n.jpg

33480_1521929462522_1663144962_1278291_4644363_n.jpg

This guy was pretty good...

33480_1521929622526_1663144962_1278295_6155948_n.jpg

33480_1521929662527_1663144962_1278296_438662_n.jpg

OK, how cool is this?

We get close to the venue a couple hours early so we could stop somewhere to eat/drink.

There's tons of places all around - Chili's, Applebee's, etc.

The guy driving randomly points at a place called Champs - sports bar-type place.

So we're like - "cool!"

As we get out of the car, a guy's coming up to us saying "are y'all going to the show?"

Yes, we are.

He says, "we've got the area in the back, they're playing Rush and everything!"

Turns out, it was a meetup for some Rush forum - ended up being like 100 people hanging out before the show!

One guy had been to 16 shows on this tour!

All in all, pretty cool way to kick off the evening!

• 1 month later...

Time Machine North American Dates Revealed

Rush confirm The Time Machine Tour will visit new cities throughout North America and play a few return engagements beginning March 30th in Ft. Lauderdale and running through April 22nd in 2011 with dates in Greensboro, Nashville, Louisville, Toledo, Hershey, New York’s esteemed Madison Square Garden, Chicago, Cleveland, Detroit, Hamilton, Montreal and Baltimore. The tour also returns to North America in June with performances in select markets that will include cities such as New Orleans, Austin, Vancouver and a very special return play in Los Angeles – more information on these dates and more soon!

Tickets for RUSH go on sale in select markets beginning December 6th at LiveNation.com

Tickets for the Rush performances will go on sale in Hershey, Detroit and Baltimore beginning Monday, Dec. 6th, with additional on-sales to follow. To benefit the relief efforts in Haiti, one dollar of each ticket sold will be donated through several charities including “Doctors Without Borders”. Rush will also contribute a portion of their proceeds at the culmination of the tour.

For Rush Fan Club tickets, as well as fan club exclusive merchandise offers, visit http://rush.musictoday.com

For Rush Time Machine packages, visit http://www.livenation.com/Rush-tickets/artist/807344

Please check all updates on the rush.com tour page for all updates.

• 1 month later...
  • 10 months later...

I LOVE Rush. One of my favorite groups for sure. Next to Zeppelin and Floyd I listen to them the most. I like the more obscure albums, like Caress of Steel and Hemispheres. But I personally think that everything up until Signals are great albums. I've seen them live 7 times and they never dissappoint. Can't say enough good things about them.

Rush: easy to admire, impossible to love. Haven't made a great album since Moving Pictures. Totally unoriginal, and vastly over-rated. IMO.

Unoriginal...I think not. Along with Yes, they brought progressive rock into the mainstream , and made it a recognizable genre in due time. I agree that their best albums are past them, but there are a handful of good ones even past Moving Pictures. Signals is a really good album. You won't find too many bad songs (depending on your taste) within the first 8 albums. Rush made a name for themselves off of sheer talent. All of those guys are fuckin excellent musicians and they wrote a countless number of great songs. Overrated?? Well, only if your not a big fan to begin with.......But, I respect your opinion.

Edited by Rock Historian

Rush releases a set of 3, 6 disk "Sectors" box sets. The sets span Rush's entire 15-album Mercury Records recording career, with each set containing five of their 15 Mercury albums in chronological order, all transferred to high resolution 96kHz/24-bit along with one album from each set in 5.1; Sector 1 contains 'Fly By Night' in 5.1, Sector 2 has 'A Farewell To Kings' in 5.1, and Sector 3 includes 'Signals' in 5.1. Each album is packaged in a replica vinyl mini-jacket of the original album release. Each set also includes an exclusive booklet packed with unpublished photos, original album lyrics and credits with all three box sets forming a Rush CD road case.

http://www.rush.com/rush/index.php

Edited by luvlz2

Rush releases a set of 3, 6 disk "Sectors" box sets. The sets span Rush's entire 15-album Mercury Records recording career, with each set containing five of their 15 Mercury albums in chronological order, all transferred to high resolution 96kHz/24-bit along with one album from each set in 5.1; Sector 1 contains 'Fly By Night' in 5.1, Sector 2 has 'A Farewell To Kings' in 5.1, and Sector 3 includes 'Signals' in 5.1. Each album is packaged in a replica vinyl mini-jacket of the original album release. Each set also includes an exclusive booklet packed with unpublished photos, original album lyrics and credits with all three box sets forming a Rush CD road case.

http://www.rush.com/rush/index.php

I don't understand the reasoning behind this unless fans just want to own everything in every configuration possible. Seems like it would make much more sense to release the entire catalog in 5.1 all at once rather than in a piecemeal fashion like this.

Rush: easy to admire, impossible to love. Haven't made a great album since Moving Pictures. Totally unoriginal, and vastly over-rated. IMO.

Opinions, errybody has 'em, no doubt.

I, myself, felt for a long time that they had fallen into that rut of making "Rush" music.

It's difficult to explain, but I saw Pink Floyd similarly.

Bands sometime seem to reach a point where they seem to be striving for their signature sound, sometimes at the expense of originality.

Back in the early 90s, it was announced Pink Floyd had a new release pending.

At the time, Industrial was huge, and most Industrial bands credited Pink Floyd as being the foundation of Industrial.

I remember thinking how incredibly awesome it would be if the new release - perhaps in a collaboration with Ogre, or Alain Jourgenson - was Industrial-flavored.

Kind of a "we laid the groundwork for this, allow us to show you how it's done" sort of thing.

Instead, they released The Division Bell.

I imagine die-hard fans were pleased, but for me, it sounded like most of their other stuff.

The whole thing smacks of a band frozen in time, not really progressing or evolving.

Even Zeppelin seemed to evolve and change with each album.

However...

Unoriginal...I think not. Along with Yes, they brought progressive rock into the mainstream , and made it a recognizable genre in due time. I agree that their best albums are past them, but there are a handful of good ones even past Moving Pictures. Signals is a really good album. You won't find too many bad songs (depending on your taste) within the first 8 albums. Rush made a name for themselves off of sheer talent. All of those guys are fuckin excellent musicians and they wrote a countless number of great songs. Overrated?? Well, only if your not a big fan to begin with.......But, I respect your opinion.

^^^ THIS ^^^

As I mentioned above, I felt for a while Rush had fallen into that same rut that I described about Pink Floyd.

Roll the Bones had some cool tunes, but overall, I was left underwhelmed at best.

However, Snakes and Arrows changed all that.

While maintaining the core of their sound, they got somewhat heavier, added some intensity, and most of all, sounded very modern and distinctly NON-dated.

Far Cry and Workin' Them Angels are a couple of the best songs they've done in years.

It really is a great album.

Seems like I read somewhere that their upcoming album, Clockwork Angels, would feature a few epic length tunes as in the days of old. Not sure if Rush is still capable of pulling that off at this stage of the game (even though those kinds of songs used to be their stock in trade) but I'm willing to give 'em a listen.

Edited by Jahfin

Seems like I read somewhere that their upcoming album, Clockwork Angels, would feature a few epic length tunes as in the days of old. Not sure if Rush is still capable of pulling that off at this stage of the game (even though those kinds of songs used to be their stock in trade) but I'm willing to give 'em a listen.

If you've ever been to Rush show, that's the last thing you would ever question out loud or within yourself. I've seen em' 7 times and they always impress and put on an excellent show. They still play the first side of 2112 which is about 15 minutes long. They recently came to New Orleans and the also played the whole Moving Pictures album without missing a lick-most of all, they did Cygnus X-1 which is another lengthy epic. They are very enjoyable to watch. My only "complaint" with them, is that they rarely get into anything spontaneous. What you hear on record is excactly what you hear live. But that's just the kinda band they are.

If you've ever been to Rush show, that's the last thing you would ever question out loud or within yourself. I've seen em' 7 times and they always impress and put on an excellent show. They still play the first side of 2112 which is about 15 minutes long. They recently came to New Orleans and the also played the whole Moving Pictures album without missing a lick-most of all, they did Cygnus X-1 which is another lengthy epic. They are very enjoyable to watch. My only "complaint" with them, is that they rarely get into anything spontaneous. What you hear on record is excactly what you hear live. But that's just the kinda band they are.

To clarify, I have I seen them live and have no doubt they can still pull off the old epics. What I'm wondering is how the new epic length songs will sound.

And that's one of the main reasons why I find them (or their earlier stuff, at least) technically impressive but largely unengaging. Their material does not lend itself to improvisation, and so their countless live albums are all ultimately pointless.

A few years ago, some guy wrote to Mojo dissing Zep, saying among other things that they sucked live. I recognised his name, so I wrote back putting him straight, in no uncertain terms.

His name? Skip Gildersleeve. Enough said.

Yes, I have to agree with you there about the live albums. They are pretty "pointless" to the degree of not leaving anything to imagine. What you hear on record is what you hear live. Period. As for the amazement factor-nobody in rock and roll is tighter in a live performance than RUSH. But that's because they play everything note for note - everytime. They do get a little out of the box on tunes like Working Man, where they throw in a reggae intro (which I've witnessed) but for the most part it's like closing your eyes and putting on an album. Some of Lifeson's solos seem to change but not to the point of being unrecognized. But again, that is about taste. Don't get me wrong,, I'm not really "complaining" as I worded it, it's just something that they lack, or choose not to do-but that's their niche- being perfectionist! Caress of Steel, Fly By Night, 2112, Farewell to Kings, Hemispheres, Moving Pictures.....all exceptional music.

My favorite of the live albums would have to be Different Stages, not for just how they mic'ed the audience on the newer recordings but for the vintage disc from the Farewell To Kings tour. I especially love that live version of "Xanadu".

Exit Stage Left and All the World's a Stage feature Rush in their prime. I recommend those two if you don't own them.

Exit Stage Left and All the World's a Stage feature Rush in their prime. I recommend those two if you don't own them.

All the World's A Stage was my first Rush album back in the 70s. I believe I have all of the live records but that bonus disc that came with Different Stages is still my favorite. I also really love the R30 DVD.

What are your 3 favorite Rush LP's?

Believe it or not, I haven't heard them all, nor do I own them all so it would be hard to say. I have a great deal of their albums stretched out across a variety of formats (vinyl, cassette and compact disc) but I'm still missing several of them.