Rush

lzzoso

I don't understand the reasoning behind this unless fans just want to own everything in every configuration possible. Seems like it would make much more sense to release the entire catalog in 5.1 all at once rather than in a piecemeal fashion like this.

It makes sense for someone like myself who runs screaming anytime 2112 comes on the local classic rock radio station. I never personally cared for their proggy earlier stuff, they got a lot better once they got more concise. From Planet Waves forward, they got very interesting to listen to.

But hey that's just me.........

It makes sense for someone like myself who runs screaming anytime 2112 comes on the local classic rock radio station. I never personally cared for their proggy earlier stuff, they got a lot better once they got more concise. From Planet Waves forward, they got very interesting to listen to.

Planet Waves???? HAHAHAH!!! You mean Permanant Waves?? I hope that was a type-O, man. And their earlier stuff wasn't proggy at all, so I think you have your albums and years mixed up. The first two albums sounded more like Zeppelin on speed than anything. Farewell to Kings is where the prog really started to show.

If you own the first 6 or 8, that's all you need to get started.

Are you familiar with Caress of Steel or Hemispheres?

I don't have Caress of Steel but I do have Hemispheres and love it. I've heard cuts from Caress of Steel over the years but don't think I've ever heard the entire record. Way back in the day, I must have picked up the Rush Archives collection on vinyl dozens of times but I never purchased it. Believe it or not, I only recently (as in the last couple of years) purchased 2112. Back in high school, someone gave me a cassette with the first record on it but I've never actually purchased that album.

Just for shits n' grins, here's a photo of the Rush Archives collection:

Rush-Archives---Sealed-403839.jpg

I read something the other day about one of those Sector sets being recalled because the mix isn't correct. Very cool of Rush and everyone involved to actually listen to the fans and fix the problem. Not every band would do that.

As for epic Rush vs. short and concise Rush, I'm a fan of both but I have no problem admitting I have a huge soft spot for stuff like "Cygnus X-1" and "Cygnus X-1: Book II". One of the funniest moments of their interview with Stephen Colbert on The Colbert Report a few years ago was his question about them thinking up new epic length songs during the performance of their epic length songs.

I don't have Caress of Steel but I do have Hemispheres and love it. I've heard cuts from Caress of Steel over the years but don't think I've ever heard the entire record. Way back in the day, I must have picked up the Rush Archives collection on vinyl dozens of times but I never purchased it. Believe it or not, I only recently (as in the last couple of years) purchased 2112. Back in high school, someone gave me a cassette with the first record on it but I've never actually purchased that album.

Just for shits n' grins, here's a photo of the Rush Archives collection:

Rush-Archives---Sealed-403839.jpg

I read something the other day about one of those Sector sets being recalled because the mix isn't correct. Very cool of Rush and everyone involved to actually listen to the fans and fix the problem. Not every band would do that.

As for epic Rush vs. short and concise Rush, I'm a fan of both but I have no problem admitting I have a huge soft spot for stuff like "Cygnus X-1" and "Cygnus X-1: Book II". One of the funniest moments of their interview with Stephen Colbert on The Colbert Report a few years ago was his question about them thinking up new epic length songs during the performance of their epic length songs.

The album you posted here is a hard to find item. I have looked for it a few times and it's pretty pricey and hard to come across. It was released in the 70's I believe right around 1978. It featured the first three albums. That is one of the few I don't own . I won't say I know everything there is to know about Rush, but I do my homework on them-they are probably my second or third favorite band depending on what day it is. I like Floyd as well - right up there. But if you like Hemispheres (which may be my favorite Rush album) you need to listen to Caress of Steel all the way through. Actually , Im surprised you don't own a few Rush albums with all of the music you tend to listen to. You need to catch up on that.

Rush 1974

Fly by Night 1975

Caress of Steel 1975

2112 1976

A Farewell to Kings 1977

Archives 1978

Hemispheres 1978

Permanant Waves 1980

Moving Pictures 1981

Signals 1982

This is the heart of the Rush cataloge.

Edited by Rock Historian

Actually , Im surprised you don't own a few Rush albums with all of the music you tend to listen to. You need to catch up on that.

Thus is the life of a music freak. I can't own and listen to everything I'd like to as there's not enough hours in the day and believe it or not, I do have other interests. It is fun trying to hear it all though.

Caress Of Steel sucks. And if you have All The World's A Stage, you don't need Rush or Fly By Night either. Or 2112.

IMO this is all you need:

All The World's A Stage

Farewell To Kings

Hemispheres

Permanent Waves

Moving Pictures

Exit Stage Left sounds like shit. There are far better boots out there.

You know what man, you continue to use words like "sucks" when referring to something you don't like. That's my problem with you. You have NO tact in your wording. I'm not going to sit here and tell you what to like or dislike-because it's up to you. But, you have a way of making every album YOU don't like - SUCK. Caress of Steel does not suck. It might not be for YOU- but you are not the law. And 2112 is a GREAT album and a must have if you are wanting to discover Rush. All the World's a Stage does present the first side of 2112, but it doesn't mean you should disregard the album itself. People that are not even fans of Rush, recognize that album as a classic. That's like saying you shouldn't own Houses of the Holy if you have The Song Remains the Same...Yeah, I know...sounds pretty stupid-right?

Exactly!

Exit Stage Left sounds like shit??? - Your just here to piss somebody off - I thought I got through to you last time we had a discussion -when you called my comment "rediculous", without being decent enough to ask what I meant first - so just for you, I re-phrased what I said to get on the same page. But now your being plain ignorant man- sorry , but that's exactly what you sound like - to a Rush fan.

http://youtu.be/LkddIkS_9-w

Edited by Rock Historian

Ok - Caress Of Steel sucks, IMO. Better?

Dunno why you have to take it personally. Most bands have rubbish albums in their catalogue, even LZ. To Rush's credit, they recovered from CoS and went on to make 2112, just over half of which was superb. And they then went on to even better things, for a few years. So although CoS sucks (IMO), it was a necessary transitional stepping-stone from their early, fairly basic rock to the mid-period epics.

As for Exit, well, I'm not alone in thinking it sounds like shit. The British music press agreed. Maybe we just have better ears over here? Compared to the sound on ATWAS, it is muddy and verges on bootleg quality, IMO.

No, it's not better...cause guess what? It doesn't suck. Over your head? - Yes. Not your taste? - Maybe. As for Exit Stage Left, you said it sounds like shit-meaning performance? sound-mix? You didn't make your one word statement clear as usual, until now. So, thank you. I will agree (and Im never afraid to do that -or to be honest) that it does have a less than clear tone. It's sounds pretty low end and not the greatest of clarity from the guitars, but ATWAS is not much better if you wanna go off of that aspect of it. And as for my ears, I have excellent hearing-I play music myself and work at a studio from time to time. Trust me-I have no hearing loss at all. I hear things nobody else hears in the studio (and I don't mean voices). My wife ask me all the time around the house, "how did you hear that?" So when you say something sounds like shit-make it clear next time if you are talking performance, sound or otherwise. Even so, I disagree. It could have been better-but also far worse. You have made your point without saying-that you are not really a heavy Rush fan, so I wouldn't expect you to like Caress of Steel. It's only for people who appreciate them on a bigger level-and understand the concept of it. Not a typical Rush observer who thinks Tom Sawyer is possibly their best song. (not nesessarily meaning you-just in general)

Also, If you have any musical talent whatsoever (play an instrument/song writting/lyrics etc.) you wouldn't dare say COS sucks, because Bastille Day, The Fountain of Lamneth and The Necromancer would blow your fuckin mind-way ahead of it's time-both for it's musicality , concept and originality.

I'm not gonna say that you can't grasp Rush, because you very well may. But certian things they have accomplished are over peoples heads, but I like that - because I get it.

What's your favorite, or one of your favorite Zeppelin or Hendrix albums? If I said it "sucks" would you have something to say about it?....KNOWING that it doesn't. I bet you would.

Edited by Rock Historian

Planet Waves???? HAHAHAH!!! You mean Permanant Waves?? I hope that was a type-O, man. And their earlier stuff wasn't proggy at all, so I think you have your albums and years mixed up. The first two albums sounded more like Zeppelin on speed than anything. Farewell to Kings is where the prog really started to show.

Sorry, Permanant Waves. Well their first album was Canadian Zeppelin, their second album on up until PERMANENT Waves sounded pretty proggy to me and the prog got worse with every passing album. As I said, concise is good.

Having seen them twice on their Snakes and Arrows tour, when they did roll out the older stuff I thought it wasn't badly played at all but really, I never cared for any of it personally speaking.

Go find a band or an album to present that particular kind of concept to that degree in 1975 on one side of an album or as a set of albums. Original- yes. You musn't have a clue what they are writting/talking about.

I also find it funny that you only chose to answer the questions you have a quck answer for, and not the ones that involve some explaining. You've done that a few times so far- (failing to answer) .

Example- Remember this?

(my question to you) What's your favorite, or one of your favorite Zeppelin or Hendrix albums? If I said it "sucks" would you have something to say about it?....KNOWING that it doesn't. I bet you would.

You had no reponse for that one.

And This?? (Your comment) Quote: And if you have All The World's A Stage, you don't need Rush or Fly By Night either. Or 2112.

(My response) All the World's a Stage does present the first side of 2112, but it doesn't mean you should disregard the album itself. People that are not even fans of Rush, recognize that album as a classic. That's like saying you shouldn't own Houses of the Holy if you have The Song Remains the Same...Yeah, I know...sounds pretty stupid-right?

Exactly!

You had no response to this one either.

Just take into consideration-that I'm doing the explaining and validating a point and also being respectful. You on the other hand, just wanna blurt out nonsense-which is how this "discussion" got started. I can go with you all day on this-but not in the manner you choose too. But that's cool. I see how it is-you don't want a discussion-you just want to try and prove your point. The only thing I got out of you so far was that you don't care for Rush that much - and I do. So go ahead and move on to something (another thread) you know or care more about.

Edited by Rock Historian

From 1975 to 1979, Rush released three albums containing sidelong epics, regarded by some as concept albums (though not actually concept albums by strict definition of the term; that is, none of the other songs on the album have anything to do with each other or the 20-minute sidelong epic, so there is no pervasive concept or story). The first of which was released in 1975, titled Caress of Steel. The second was their breakthrough album, 2112, released the following year in 1976. Their third was released in 1978, Hemispheres.

Edited by Rock Historian

• 3 weeks later...

What are your 3 favorite Rush LP's?

Moving Pictures

Counterparts

I have seen them 4 times since 1990 and plan to catch them on their next tour for sure. I have also heard that their next disc, which is being finished currently, will be their heaviest in years - I like the sound of that!

• 4 weeks later...

Moving Pictures has probably been overplayed to the point of boredom for most people, but I finally got to hear the album in Blu-Ray Dolby 5.1 at a friends house yesterday.

It was a remarkable listening experience. If anyone is on the fence about buying the deluxe package of the album, if you have the right home theater set up.........it's well worth the money to buy it all over again.