Page/Plant 05/10/95 America West Arena, Phoenix

http://www.phoenixne...ic/live-shots/1 A couple of my friends got press passes for and got themselves in a review of the Page/Plant show at the America West Arena 5/10/95 in Phoenix in our weekly New Times. They had a little too much to drink before the show, I don't think this review has ever been posted where I have looked. My best friend was mentioned in the last two paragraphs on the last page of the review. He was the 'middle aged wreck' who kept yelling 'Rock & Roll!' And the other friend was mentioned in paragraph 10; he was the oafish drunk who nearly stepped on the reporter's toe. Edited by luvlz2

I seen and met John Paul Jones when he came to Phoenix with Diamanda Galas on December 2, 1994 at the Gammage Auditorium in Tempe, AZ. I asked him about his collaberation with 'Heart' and he turned to me, gave me a big smile, and said "I've just finished it!" and he signed my ticket.

This is a good article they had in our Phoenix New Times: http://www.phoenixnewtimes.com/1994-12-01/music/good-golly-miss-gal-s-singer-diamanda-gal-s-and-john-paul-jones-give-rock-the-crowbar-enema-it-so-richly-deserves/1

Image3.jpg

Image4.jpg

Edited by luvlz2

Many thanks for the articles and anecdotes. I've got the Phoenix '95 show on DVD-r and somewhere in my archive I have the Gammage Auditorium's Box Office recording announcing JPJ/Galas tickets on sale.

No problem Steve.

A review of the Gammage Auditorium show: http://www.phoenixnewtimes.com/1994-12-15/music/live-shots/

Edited by luvlz2

• 3 years later...
  • 3 years later...

The fact it's the 22nd anniversary of this concert in Phoenix today has been on my mind these last few days, so for sure I am revisiting it today. I remember it looked like Phoenix might not get a date at first, so I got tickets for the MGM Grand Garden for May 12th before a Phoenix concert was announced. Excellent concert, a great memory here in Phoenix!

5913a9c3b359f_Picture526.jpg.3c2f575534d315a930b9509bb9b46f89.jpg

Edited by luvlz2

On 6/8/2010 at 7:25 PM, luvlz2 said:

http://www.phoenixne...ic/live-shots/1 A couple of my friends got press passes for and got themselves in a review of the Page/Plant show at the America West Arena 5/10/95 in Phoenix in our weekly New Times. They had a little too much to drink before the show, I don't think this review has ever been posted where I have looked. My best friend was mentioned in the last two paragraphs on the last page of the review. He was the 'middle aged wreck' who kept yelling 'Rock & Roll!' And the other friend was mentioned in paragraph 10; he was the oafish drunk who nearly stepped on the reporter's toe.

I didn't get press passes and get too drunk at the concert like a friend of mine but when tickets went on sale and there was a lottery at Metrocenter Mall in Phoenix I went early and waited in line, I brought a boom box with Page/Plant and Led Zeppelin playing of course and talked with a lot of other fans about my heroes in line and it was cool. My friend asked me what number I had and I think he asked me at the right time, because I saw an employee looking at me when I said it, and I think that is how I got my number picked, because he overheard me saying my lotto number, I'm quite sure that's how it happened. So I was lucky they called my lotto number as the very first number!

But it was a very good concert and even now the music is really great. They played great!

Edited by luvlz2

2 hours ago, middlezep said:

Cool that jimmy page was wearing a greenpeace t-shirt at the end of the show.

I gotta say that i also get nostalgic looking back at the shows i saw in the 90s.

If memory serves (I was at this concert in Phoenix as well as the 98' show as well), P&P donated a percentage of the receipts to a food bank and, they had several charity booths set up as well.

1 hour ago, IpMan said:

If memory serves (I was at this concert in Phoenix as well as the 98' show as well), P&P donated a percentage of the receipts to a food bank and, they had several charity booths set up as well.

Second Harvest food banks. Page wore the Greenpeace "You Can't Sink A Rainbow" t-shirt during the encores of several shows.

21 hours ago, IpMan said:

Yup, i think it was only greenpeace that was actually touring with them. Again, cool that jimmy wore that greenpeace shirt, i used to have the same one. Looking back, the 90s really morphed into a cool decade....even it commercially marked some kind of an end for rock music. 

23 hours ago, middlezep said:

Cool that jimmy page was wearing a greenpeace t-shirt at the end of the show.

I gotta say that i also get nostalgic looking back at the shows i saw in the 90s.

Definitely middlezep, it's really nice revisiting it and remembering what a good tour it really was looking back now. :thumbsup:

21 hours ago, IpMan said:

Thanks lpMan for bringing back another memory about that wonderful tour! :)

19 hours ago, SteveAJones said:

Second Harvest food banks.

That's right, Second Harvest food banks. Thanks. Was just looking at an old thread that looked like a press release that Cat posted and it said about Second Harvest:

AMERICA'S HUNGRY BENEFIT FROM TOUR: More than 50 Miller Genuine Draft Page/Plant guitars will be autographed and donated to Second Harvest to help raise funds to benefit America's hungry. Additionally, an official tour T-shirt will be sold with profits going to Second Harvest. Miller Genuine Draft will also donate front row tickets for auction in several tour markets with proceeds going to Second Harvest. MGD also will coordinate food drives at tour stops with all food gong to the local food bank.

Really was a cool thing they did back then. :)

Cheers

It was great and i actually find myself listening to more of the 95 shows lately....and going back to the cd single b side of, walking into clarksdale to get my 98fix. I have favored 98 for way too long...theres great live 95shows.