16 y/o girl sailing around world lost at sea

Rock N' Rollin' Man

A note posted to a blog tracking Abby's progress by her support team Thursday detailed her survival gear.

"Abby has all of the equipment on board to survive a crisis situation like this," the posting said. "She has a dry suit, survival suit, life raft, and ditch bag with emergency supplies. If she can keep warm and hang on, help will be there as soon as possible."

...sounds like she had everything except parents with common sense...

I would have never even considered allowing my kids do something like this when they were 16. But then I would imagine the whole family is into sailing and would have more confidence (and money) in her abilities than I would.

Hope she is found soon. Hate to see this end on a bad note.

i hope she is safe too.

crazy trend seems to be happening.... first her brother, then our young aussie girl broke the record, now this girl is trying to be the youngest .... where will it end? and all to get your name in a record book? seems so senseless to me. and now everyone is out there looking for her. like i said, i hope she is safe, but she should never have been allowed to do it.

Is she the one who got some legal injunction to be allowed to do it? Her father is an expert and she and her brother supposedly have more experience than many twice their age, but STILL, she is 16!! That she thought to do it is probably a testament to her age more than anything. The sea doesn't care about records and age. Russian roulette in those waters.

i hope she is safe too.

crazy trend seems to be happening.... first her brother, then our young aussie girl broke the record, now this girl is trying to be the youngest .... where will it end? and all to get your name in a record book? seems so senseless to me. and now everyone is out there looking for her. like i said, i hope she is safe, but she should never have been allowed to do it.

Thank heavens she's safe ...

Australian authorities contact missing American teen sailor

... but the trend is definitely crazy and senseless. When and where will it END? :dont:

Thank heavens she's safe ...

Australian authorities contact missing American teen sailor

... but the trend is definitely crazy and senseless. When and where will it END? :dont:

Well thank God for distress signals. Imagine her being out there without it and her boat in such bad shape. She caught a lucky break. Glad she's ok and hopefully some sense will prevail.

I say good on her. Nice try, kid. I'd rather have little girls looking up to you than to most of today's available role models.

Her father would probably agree with you ...

(from Rough Weather Delays Rescue of Teen Sailor Adrift in Indian Ocean )

"Sailing and life in general is dangerous. Teenagers drive cars. Does that mean teenagers shouldn't drive a car?" Laurence Sunderland told the AP. "I think people who hold that opinion have lost their zeal for life. They're living in a cotton-wool tunnel to make everything safe."

... but states aren't continuously lowering the age for driving cars. One of the main reasons this is crazy is because there is a competition set to continuously lower the "age limit" ... but at what point do the risks outweigh the benefits? Should a line be drawn at some point to protect the young or should we entice and encourage them to "go for it", whatever it is? Can't we direct young people into activities that would allow them "zeal for life" without costing so much economically and risking their lives and the lives of their rescuers (so far at least one airplane, three boats, and a fishing boat)?

Someone ought to inform her "father" that avoiding sailing in the southern Indian Ocean during the current southern hemisphere winter with mountainous seas and essentially hurricane-force winds hardly amounts to "living in a cotton-wool tunnel"! <_<

Her nightmare isn't over yet, let's hope she gets home safe, she's still in her boat ...

Her nightmare isn't over yet, let's hope she gets home safe, she's still in her boat ...

She's not home yet, but at least she's in a bigger boat: "The Australian group said the French ship Ile De La Reunion brought Sunderland on board from her stricken craft Saturday afternoon at the site (about 2:45 a.m. PDT)."

French Fishing Vessel Rescues Teenage Sailor in Indian Ocean

Unfortunately, the "fishing boat's captain fell into the ocean. "He was fished out in difficult conditions" and is in good health, said a statement from the French territory of Reunion Island."

Very interesting that "The elder Sunderland said the family was not going to elaborate on the problems that led to the emergency", problems that might serve as caution for others attempting a similar journey. <_<

• 2 weeks later...

Apparently her failed voyage is now being chalked up to a "rogue wave"

Teenage sailor Abby Sunderland reunited with brother

In the video she says the criticism of her parents is "extremely unfair ... offensive ... ungrounded". Maybe so, in fact they are probably no different than other parents who encourage their children to break records at younger and younger ages ...

She looks good on the video, but why did it take two weeks to get to Reunion island and give a news conference? :huh:

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Archived