Acoustic guitar appreciation

The first person to come to my mind is Chet Atkins. Just wonderful fingerpicked melodic lines.

Steve Morse is unbelievably talented on acoustic. Here's a demonstration of an unplugged Dixie Dregs song (also fingerstyle).

Django Reinhardt, the idiosyncratic swing/gypsy-jazz master, was an acoustic player whose work has had a notable impact on electric players.

I'm not really familiar with many acoustic-oriented players (e.g. Leo Kottke, Michael Hedges, and Tommy Emmanuel), but that seems worth bringing up in this context. There are countless acoustic players in blues, jazz, classical, flamenco, country, folk, Hawaiian music, and Celtic music who, although not respected as "guitar gods", are masters of their respective style. And acoustic guitar tends to be the instrument of choice for the emerging singer-songwriter, or so I see it.

Among rock guitarists, you can find some who are worth listening to on acoustic guitar. Jimmy Page's work in the DADGAD tuning (see "White Summer"/"Black Mountain Side") is awesome. Plenty more great acoustic playing in standard tuning as well, and "Stairway to Heaven" is supplemented by acoustic guitar in the beginning. "Dimebag" Darrell Abbott of Pantera was cool on acoustic (see the beginning of "Cemetery Gates"). Jar of Flies by Alice in Chains is a haunting, mostly acoustic EP with subtle playing by Jerry Cantrell (good examples would be "Rotten Apple" and "Nutshell".

Edited by SelfDevouringSnake

The first person to come to my mind is Chet Atkins. Just wonderful fingerpicked melodic lines.

Steve Morse is unbelievably talented on acoustic. Here's a demonstration of an unplugged Dixie Dregs song (also fingerstyle).

Django Reinhardt, the idiosyncratic swing/gypsy-jazz master, was an acoustic player whose work has had a notable impact on electric players.

Looks like you were using the Link button to try to post those clips. If you use the one labeled "Media" it'll do the trick.

Among rock guitarists, you can find some who are worth listening to on acoustic guitar. Jimmy Page's work in the DADGAD tuning (see "White Summer"/"Black Mountain Side") is awesome. Plenty more great acoustic playing in standard tuning as well, and "Stairway to Heaven" is supplemented by acoustic guitar in the beginning.

Not sure if you've ever heard Whatever Happened To Jugula? by Roy Harper and Jimmy Page or not but there's some very fine acoustic picking on there.

Looks like you were using the Link button to try to post those clips. If you use the one labeled "Media" it'll do the trick.

Not sure if you've ever heard Whatever Happened To Jugula? by Roy Harper and Jimmy Page or not but there's some very fine acoustic picking on there.

Yeah that's what I did, then I tried to edit it so that just the links appeared. Thanks though.

I'm not familiar with any of Page's post-Led Zeppelin work excluding several live guest appearances and his involvement in It Might Get Loud, but I will check out that album. It's about time I start to look at his work beyond Led Zeppelin.

How could I forget YouTube guitar sensation Andy McKee? Here's a sample of his composition "Drifting". McKee is one of the acoustic genre dudes in the vain of Michael Hedges.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...