Led Zeppelin Reunion Show Too Heavy For Robert Plant

Virginia

http://www.spinner.com/2010/08/06/led-zeppelin-reunion-robert-plant/?icid=main|main|dl5|link6|http%3A%2F%2Fwww.spinner.com%2F2010%2F08%2F06%2Fled-zeppelin-reunion-robert-plant%2F

Robert Plant has revealed that the famous Led Zeppelin reunion show at the O2 Arena in 2007 was "too heavy" for him, and that after the show he had to slink away and have a few quiet drinks on his own.

He also described fobbing off the Gallagher brothers backstage after the gig, which was held to pay tribute to Ahmet Ertegun, the founder of Atlantic Records.

Plant, who is regularly cooling speculation of another reunion between the surviving Zeppelin members, told Mojo magazine, "Well, what could you do afterwards ...? Twenty minutes after we finished, the Gallagher brothers were leaning on the door of my dressing room and one of them said, 'You're the real f---ing thing, you are.' I said, 'I've known that all down the line -- but I think you need to go a little further round the corridor, next door on the left.' And I went."

He added: "[i} ended up in the Marathon [pub in Camden], drank four bottles of Keo [lager] and half a bottle of vodka then went to bed. Because I had to get away from it. I'd done it. Had to go.

"[it was] too heavy. Beautiful - but talk about examining your own mortality ... Crazy."

This week Plant announced three additional dates for his 'Band Of Joy' solo tour this October, with new shows in Edinburgh, Gateshead and Liverpool. He plays a one-off show at the Forum in London on Sept. 2.

Robert must of held alot of emotion regarding the O2 reunion concert. It must have been overwelming for him, bringing back old memories and emotions from the "old days". So much so that he needed to have an escape and have a couple of drinks. If this is how he felt about it, no wonder he has no desire for a reunion tour. I really respect him for this and am sympathetic and understanding of his desire to make new music on his own. And the new music has been great! I am thankful that he is still out there touring and making his audiences happy!

Robert must of held alot of emotion regarding the O2 reunion concert. It must have been overwelming for him, bringing back old memories and emotions from the "old days". So much so that he needed to have an escape and have a couple of drinks. If this is how he felt about it, no wonder he has no desire for a reunion tour. I really respect him for this and am sympathetic and understanding of his desire to make new music on his own. And the new music has been great! I am thankful that he is still out there touring and making his audiences happy!

I thought the same thing; I'm still hoping he will come our way on the tour.

For some people, events in life or the music itself can become too heavy. I've seen this in my friends, peer group. Many have gone "soft" and start slowing down throughout facets of their lives.

I left a concert last night that was a curiosity for me so I didn't really have any 'stakes' in it. I was close to the front and it got pretty edgy, moshing etc., sorta like the old days of slamming at a Dead Milkmen concert. I just didn't care to get banged in the head like I used to not mind.

But I still haven't lost my desire for LOUD ROCK music and that edge of sound. It is very physical too, just listening to it. I'll feel old the day that I go soft and music becomes too heavy. I really don't believe I'll ever feel that way though.

Not sure if that was part of Roberts feelings, the music itself, or just the event. The direction he's gone musically makes me believe he's at least in part talking about that...it's gone soft. :( IMHO.

Judging from the way we used to use that expression, he wasn't talking about the music at all, but about the extreme emotion of the occasion, as Buckeye Doc described. He went on to elaborate the way in which it was heavy--"Beautiful--but talk about examining your own mortality." I think most people there who were around when Zeppelin were an active band felt that way--the power of an amazing experience, but at the same time the sense of how much time had passed, how much everyone had changed, and (as Plant, more than any of us, would have been aware) the fact that one crucial part of the band was gone.

Judging from the way we used to use that expression, he wasn't talking about the music at all, but about the extreme emotion of the occasion,

So you said "We". Did you mean "He" ?

I still believe he could have possibly included the music as well. It's not too far-fetched considering his chosen recent direction.

I'm not surprised, I mean listen to his stuff since then. He plays a lot of stuff that has it's roots in the very early American blues. I like that too but you can tell he's gone passed being the young kid that did 3 hours of lunacy back in the mid to late 70s. I bet everything about that night was way too heavy for him.

Well, he did describe 'Achilles Last Stand' as 'heavy metal', which is thoroughly risible when you think about it, but perhaps gives an insight into where he's at these days.

I wonder how Jimmy felt about that dismissal of what I believe he considers his crowning achievement.

Well, he did describe 'Achilles Last Stand' as 'heavy metal', which is thoroughly risible when you think about it, but perhaps gives an insight into where he's at these days.

I wonder how Jimmy felt about that dismissal of what I believe he considers his crowning achievement.

I have always wondered that myself, considering that Plant was so impressed by ALS at Knebworth on the DVD, as much i love the reunion gig, this is one song i wished they'd performed, but considering Plant's 'too heavy' comment, i can maybe see why it wasn't played.....

Yeah it must have been an intense, magical, unique yet overwhelming experience. You'd probably have to see it through his eyes to know the feeling.

Loved the quote regarding the Gallaghers. I can't stand those two.

Loved the quote regarding the Gallaghers. I can't stand those two.

Maybe he was directing them to JIMMY'S dressing room? He being the rocker in the pack?

Interesting that Plant referred to 'MY dressing room'. One would have thought the band would have chosen to SHARE a dressing room on this special occasion.

After the reunion, I honestly felt that RP would regret his decision to walk away from recording and touring with Jimmy and Jones. Thought he was taking the legacy thing way too far and not living in the moment. This article proves just how wrong I was :bagoverhead:

Maybe he was directing them to JIMMY'S dressing room? He being the rocker in the pack?

Interesting that Plant referred to 'MY dressing room'. One would have thought the band would have chosen to SHARE a dressing room on this special occasion.

Jimmy's not the only one that rocks. Not sure why you'd think they would want to share a dressing room on any occasion :unsure:

Judging from the way we used to use that expression, he wasn't talking about the music at all, but about the extreme emotion of the occasion, as Buckeye Doc described. He went on to elaborate the way in which it was heavy--"Beautiful--but talk about examining your own mortality." I think most people there who were around when Zeppelin were an active band felt that way--the power of an amazing experience, but at the same time the sense of how much time had passed, how much everyone had changed, and (as Plant, more than any of us, would have been aware) the fact that one crucial part of the band was gone.

I think you are exactly right. All I can add is I posted to the mystery thread some time ago his morning after encounter with two fans in a park, during which he said he was pleased with the gig but firmly committed to continuing his collaboration with Alison Krauss, looking forward to the tour, etc.

Having read the full article, I think he was talking about the experience of it from an emotional standpoint, not the music itself. And I didn't take it that he was saying it with negative connotations either.

Same here.

More precisely,IMO the negative connotations were not regarding the performance, but regarding Plant himself. He was not trying to diminish the band's effort, he was bitter about his own persona.

He also described fobbing off the Gallagher brothers backstage after the gig, which was held to pay tribute to Ahmet Ertegun, the founder of Atlantic Records.

Plant, who is regularly cooling speculation of another reunion between the surviving Zeppelin members, told Mojo magazine, "Well, what could you do afterwards ...? Twenty minutes after we finished, the Gallagher brothers were leaning on the door of my dressing room and one of them said, 'You're the real f---ing thing, you are.' I said, 'I've known that all down the line -- but I think you need to go a little further round the corridor, next door on the left.' And I went."

Because I had to get away from it. I'd done it. Had to go.

Boy, Plant sure does come off as a mean spirited snob sometimes. Yes boys, I know I'm great, now move on down the hall to Jimmy's room where your idol worship will be appreciated. WTF? Is that really necessary?

Humbleness, is not one of Plant's qualities.

I particulary think his comment "I'd done it", as opposed to 'we' (you weren't the only guy onstage, Robert)

is rather revealing.

Don't get crazy on me people, I love the guy to death and I do understand where he's coming from,

but he is a pain in the ass. God bless him.

10 years gone turned into 27 years gone. Birds of prey, baby, leave the eagles nest, have so far to go.

Its all there. You just have to look for it.

Plant's vision for himself is to keep changing, to change the road you're on, i hope so, i really, really, hope so.

See, it is all there.

Hi 'Occam's Razor'

When you're head gets that Big that you Believe all the Hype that People talk about You, then you really shouldn't be surprised that Robert, with all his entourage, would share a dressing room with anybody, its not like they are Friends is it? :o;):lol:

Regards, Danny

In 70's slang heavy = deep, profound, overwhelming, complex.

1st stoner explaining the "Late Great, Planet Earth" in great detail to a 2nd stoner.

2nd stoner's response, "Whoa, that's some heavy shit."

I don't doubt it was both a very exhilarating and a heavy experience for all of them. And while it is fun to relive your youth for a night, (I did it last night at the Heart concert, and I'm feeling a little queasy right now), most people don't want to do it night after night.

Guess I had a different take on what Robert said...I posted this elsewhere (fbo) when I read it.

I think having failed (In the bands opinion, which I share) 2 times at

"reunion" type live performances, and having to live up to a legendary

persona some 27 yrs on, and knowing that it's your personal

capabilities that will be scrutinized in the end has got to be a

tremendous amount of pressure.

Robert not only pulled it off, he was damn good. I don't know what

personal issues he had to deal with leading up to, and of course the

day itself of the 02, but the aftermath is very understandable. Almost

a free at last moment for so many different reasons. Having more than a

few after the gig sounds perfectly reasonable to me.

Boy, Plant sure does come off as a mean spirited snob sometimes. Yes boys, I know I'm great, now move on down the hall to Jimmy's room where your idol worship will be appreciated. WTF? Is that really necessary?

Humbleness, is not one of Plant's qualities.

I particulary think his comment "I'd done it", as opposed to 'we' (you weren't the only guy onstage, Robert)

is rather revealing.

Don't get crazy on me people, I love the guy to death and I do understand where he's coming from,

but he is a pain in the ass. God bless him.

I didn't take that comment as that - I think he WAS being humble by not wanting the idol worship.

Archived