Led Zeppelin Reunion Show Too Heavy For Robert Plant

Virginia

In 70's slang heavy = deep, profound, overwhelming, complex.

1st stoner explaining the "Late Great, Planet Earth" in great detail to a 2nd stoner.

2nd stoner's response, "Whoa, that's some heavy shit."

I don't doubt it was both a very exhilarating and a heavy experience for all of them. And while it is fun to relive your youth for a night, (I did it last night at the Heart concert, and I'm feeling a little queasy right now), most people don't want to do it night after night.

Yes, that's what I was getting at. Including the slang. :D

I didn't take that comment as that - I think he WAS being humble by not wanting the idol worship.

Really, to me, it almost comes off as what he was trying to say is 'hey man, I didn't need to do this show,

Jimmy did, so go kiss his ass, not mine, I have a successful career to get back to....you wankers.

I particulary think his comment "I'd done it", as opposed to 'we' (you weren't the only guy onstage, Robert)

is rather revealing.

I love Robert but I read that the same way as you. Made me recall the Peter Grant quote about how Robert always wanted to be the boss and now he was...

Having read the full article, I think he was talking about the experience of it from an emotional standpoint, not the music itself. And I didn't take it that he was saying it with negative connotations either.

Yea I got it the same way!

Pretty obviously, he was talking about his own response to the show. "I'd done it"--and how it felt afterward. Equally obviously, Jimmy and co. had also "done it," but he wasn't talking about their reaction--the only one he could know was his own, he couldn't speak for them.

Judging from the way we used to use that expression, he wasn't talking about the music at all, but about the extreme emotion of the occasion, as Buckeye Doc described. He went on to elaborate the way in which it was heavy--"Beautiful--but talk about examining your own mortality." I think most people there who were around when Zeppelin were an active band felt that way--the power of an amazing experience, but at the same time the sense of how much time had passed, how much everyone had changed, and (as Plant, more than any of us, would have been aware) the fact that one crucial part of the band was gone.

With all due respect to Jason, these feel as if they're at the heart of the matter. I think, as well, that people are reading too much into the "...I'd done it..." quote, especially in the context of Grant's impressions of him. It seems Plant felt as if the O2 concert was a passage through which he finally went, a full circle of sorts that honoured a dear friend and perhaps finally put an end to that 12-going-on-30-year chapter. That he won't go back just shows he's in a different place than the one once attributed to him by Grant.

That's just it. If he hadn't grown he wouldn't have had the need to go on to other things. As much as I love Zeppelin, I have to say it would be a little cringe worthy to see a man his age still going on about squeezing lemons and all that jazz. That's not being prudish, just that, well, when you're 20 and singing things like that, it's hot, when you're his age, not; it just doesn't resonate the same way. Think Jagger, or worse, Tom Jones. It just teeters on embarrassing, unintentional self-parody. Plant is exploring creative ventures that reflect who he is and how he's grown as a person and an artist.

The only thing worse than being barraged about rekindling the past is still reveling in it. Ever onward.

With all due respect to Jason, these feel as if they're at the heart of the matter. I think, as well, that people are reading too much into the "...I'd done it..." quote, especially in the context of Grant's impressions of him. It seems Plant felt as if the O2 concert was a passage through which he finally went, a full circle of sorts that honoured a dear friend and perhaps finally put an end to that 12-going-on-30-year chapter. That he won't go back just shows he's in a different place than the one once attributed to him by Grant.

That's just it. If he hadn't grown he wouldn't have had the need to go on to other things. As much as I love Zeppelin, I have to say it would be a little cringe worthy to see a man his age still going on about squeezing lemons and all that jazz. That's not being prudish, just that, well, when you're 20 and singing things like that, it's hot, when you're his age, not; it just doesn't resonate the same way. Think Jagger, or worse, Tom Jones. It just teeters on embarrassing, unintentional self-parody. Plant is exploring creative ventures that reflect who he is and how he's grown as a person and an artist.

The only thing worse than being barraged about rekindling the past is still reveling in it. Ever onward.

That's just beautiful, Pat. But I think you'll find Robert stopped 'going on about squeezing lemons' in 1975 or thereabouts.

As for the age factor, try telling that to John Lee Hooker et al.

I think what we have here is a male/female divide on this issue. Most likely, never the twain shall meet. Amen to that.

That's just beautiful, Pat. But I think you'll find Robert stopped 'going on about squeezing lemons' in 1975 or thereabouts.

As for the age factor, try telling that to John Lee Hooker et al.

I think what we have here is a male/female divide on this issue. Most likely, never the twain shall meet. Amen to that.

Singing a particular song isn't the point; rather it's about singing music that more accurately reflects where he's at. So it's not about age either, but about where you are musically, personally. Hooker had always been rooted in blues, so that's what he sang. Apples to apples. Plant isn't only in blues, or Led Zeppelin for that matter, hence the whole branching out musically point.

Really, to me, it almost comes off as what he was trying to say is 'hey man, I didn't need to do this show,

Jimmy did, so go kiss his ass, not mine, I have a successful career to get back to....you wankers.

When Robert was approached to participate in the tribute to Ahmet, he jumped on board immediately. He obviously wanted to perform with Jimmy and John Paul or he'd not have done it and from what I've read he has said, he was pretty happy with the whole thing. But the point is he wasn't looking to take it any further.

I think people are reading too far into his comments and trying to interpret things that aren't there to be interpreted.

I believe Robert was saying that it was an emotional experience for him to be up there on stage again, with those guys, doing those songs, and after it was over he needed to be alone and deal with what he just took part in. That's not him saying he is the band or that people should kiss someone else's ass or anything else like that. He was talking about himself and how he felt when it was over, not about anyone else or how they may have felt.

That's how I took what he said, in any event.

I guess there was a lot of emotion involved for Robert....I guess he felt a bit pressured as far as trying to re-create the "magic" of the 70s was concerned, when Zep was pretty much at their prime! Besides, as someone very rightly pointed out, a lot of time has passed by and so many things have changed and besides, one essential member of the band is missing and I guess to Robert, things will never be the same again! And I got this feeling from the article that Robert intended this whole Zep reunion show to be a "one-off" event and then pretty much part ways with Jimmy and JPJ and just move on! :unsure:

I guess there was a lot of emotion involved for Robert....I guess he felt a bit pressured as far as trying to re-create the "magic" of the 70s was concerned, when Zep was pretty much at their prime! Besides, as someone very rightly pointed out, a lot of time has passed by and so many things have changed and besides, one essential member of the band is missing and I guess to Robert, things will never be the same again! And I got this feeling from the article that Robert intended this whole Zep reunion show to be a "one-off" event and then pretty much part ways with Jimmy and JPJ and just move on! :unsure:

I'm not sure I would agree that Robert felt pressured to re-create the magic of the past - that was a moment in time. Seems to be the goal of all of them was to put on a fantastic show in honor of Ahmet - a friend, inspiration and mentor. Which they quite successfully did.

If he said ''I've done it'', it doesn't automatically mean that he meant others in the band are not important! You people just like to understand things like you want, not the way they were meant.

And the commnent to the Gallagher brothers in my opinion meant, that Robert is not particulary interest in praising and he probably knows Jimmy well enough, that he knows, that perhaps Jimmy likes praise a lot more and so they should say that to him and the whole thing might also be related to the fact, that Jimmy is the one who constantly wants to return back to zep and doesn't work that much on a solo carrer and so Plant directed the Oasis brothers to the one, who wants to hear such praise a lot.

And perhaps Jimmy is quite insecure these days, something Robert might also know and perhaps that is why he didn't do any new projects and wants Zep back so badly, because that was his biggest succes. But i'm shure his new project will be great and perhaps he is not insecure at all, but he just wants to be praised more than Robert. Anyway i'm shure jimmy is a totally honest musician, playing because of the love for music and not to be praised, but perhaps he likes to be praised quite a bit and got a bit lost musicaly after zep and again after Page/Plant and needs reinforcement to belive his music is good, while Plant has that belif in himself and never got lost musicaly!!

I also think Plant would just politely say thank you, if it would just be a casual fan, because it would be impolite to do otherwise and because Plant really is humble(i heard that many times),but because they were stars themselves, he felt like they were kissing his ass and by saying he knew all along, that he was good, he in my opinion meant, that he always believed in his music and knew it was good, because he primarily makes music for himself and wants to really enjoy his music. Ofcourse he is happy that so many others enjoy it also, but he is just a happy artist and he doesn't want to be praised by his audience, he just wants to make them happy, but he does politely accept adoration, so i think it was primarily because they were Oasis guys and also because he knew Jimmy likes such stuff more and because Robert was probably the most reluctant to do this show, so he wanted the Gallagher brothers to praise those more interested!

i also don't aggre that Robert left Jimmy in a very unkind way, because Robert can always return to his solo carrer. It's not true. Jimmy can also return to his solo carrer and certainly be succesful if he wants to!! he just needs to put some effort into it.

And as far as the thing being to heavy for Robert, i think he just meant it was emotionaly overwhelming!!

It's terrible some people on the forum always analyze Roberts words in the worts posssible way!

Funny how some people give opinions and others counter that with theirs and we go on.

But then some post things like this,

I think people are reading too far into his comments and trying to interpret things that aren't there to be interpreted.

and,

You people just like to understand things like you want, not the way they were meant.

In a way admonishing or trying to 'correct' opinions because these posters know better ! Hahahahaaa...

THEN, they post their own opinion with their interpretation. :huh:

:lol:

Yin-Yang, kettle black !

Well dan i'm going to let that one in, just like zep did in their shows, righ!t!??

And Oracle, yeah you are right, i expressed a bit strangely. I should have said, that it's quite obvious to me, he didn't mean, that he is the only important one in the reunion concert and that he knew they did it together.

I almost made it look, like others are not entitled to their opinion, but what i should have said is, that i think my opinon is far more right then that of those of the opposite opinion, because i think Robert would have to be extremely snobish , selfish and even extremly stupid, if he would actually want to say, that he did the show alone and others weren't important.

The truth in my opinion is, he just wasn't watching every little word, because he doesn't care, if a few on a forum will overanalyse his every word, because they want a reunion tour and are mad at him.

So yeah, i don't have anything against opposite opinions, but i think i had better arguments then those of the opposite opinion and also if i say, that people misunderstood Plant's words about how ''he did the concert'' and not ''they did the concert'', it's basicaly still just my opinion and not necceserily a comment about how my opinion is right(even if it's just an opinion) and others is automatically wrong

and actually i don't think there is much in that opinion that would sound like others don't have the right to their opinion, i just said what i said, because i believe that in this case it is so extremely obvious that Plant just said ''I did it'' because he didn't watch his words too carefuly, because he doesn't care if a few Zep fans on a forum he never reads, will be calling him selfish, because they want a zep reunion, because THEY are in a way selfish!!

So if i say(quote): You people just like to understand things like you want, not the way they were meant.,

it can still be just my opinon of what Robert meant and i used that kind of sentence, because it's just so obvious to me, that that is what Plant meant, that i can hardly still call it just my opinion!

I think i expalined my views well, but the whole post became so complex (and sligtly repetitive) for such a simple topic, that even after deleting certain parts, my reaction after reading the whole thing was:

:hysterical: :hysterical:

I wish he would just say how he really feels. Straight up and to the point.

He had a good performance at the O2, and if he feels that there is no future for Zep, then he should just say he is out.

He already has many times but people won't accept or respect his choices.

I don't know what part of "one off performance" people don't understand.

He already has many times but people won't accept or respect his choices.

I don't know what part of "one off performance" people don't understand.

How many "one off performances" where Zep songs were done has he been involved in since they officially disbanded?

I think this just confirms that Robert needs some psychological help/counseling over the whole Led Zeppelin subject. How many songs has he written that are in one way or another related to his Led Zeppelin legacy.

At the end of the day, after all the dismissive and derisory comments Plant has made, and the utter and baffling contempt with which he appears to treat Jimmy and JPJ, would you really WANT to go and see a bogus Zep show when it's obvious that Plant would merely be going through the motions?

Better to stick to the Zep tribute bands, IMO. At least you know they're all having a good time.

I don't get it, how did Robert treat Jimmy and JPJ? I think none of us here is really in the position to tell. :rolleyes:

For people who think rock MUSIC is too heavy for Robert Plant these days, he obviously enjoyed the TCV gig he visited. He might have gone in a different direction himself, but it doesn't mean he has lost his passion for the MUSIC.

^^ Well said glicine ;)

For me personally, I really just do not understand why some people continue to blame Robert. These men were all very young (early twenties) when they were suddenly the Mighty Zeppelin filling stadiums!! It happened fast!

I truly believe that Robert wants to maintain the legacy. :notworthy: It was a different time. We all know he loves a variety of music and he has taken that passion and moved forward. I was one of the fortunate ones to see them live in their glory days, so believe me I would love to see them on stage again. I was heart broken when I could not get tickets to the 02. With that said, I will always support what they do individually as I believe they are the absolute best at what they do.

Archived