The Black Sabbath Thread

manderlyh

Really when it comes to Sabbath, its whomever sang for Blackmore, vs everyone else.

Gillan

Hughes

Dio

....um

Joe Lynn Turner

Coverdale

Rod Evans

Candace Night

drum tech on the 'Burn' tour during soundcheck at the la forum 74.

Truly an impressive list of Sabbath/Purple alumni.

Bands can only hope to reach the lofty peaks of the Gillan years..

"Keep away from the digital bitch

Keep away from the digital bitch

She's so rich, the digital bitch"

I used to have my snazzy alarm clock play 'Laguna Sunrise' in the morning and 'Fluff' at night.

Sabbath is among my most favourite bands ever. I saw H&H earlier in the year and it was one of the best shows I've ever seen. Not much else to say other than I never get tired of hearing Sabbath. Oh yeah, I'm sure I'm in the minority here but Never Say Die is my fave album, I freakin' love Shock Wave and Johnny Blade.

The Dio years is the era I like, Heaven and hell is a their best album in my opinion, They wrote some great songs on there, very melodic unlike the overrated Ozzy stuff which for me is a bit dense !! I like lots of Ozzy solo stuff due to the great Randy Rhoads and Zak Wylde on guitar. Ozzy is a great showman but as a singer to me is god awfull, unlike Dio who has to be one of the great rock singers !!

:lol: I never said Ozzy was a great singer! I think I like the Ozzy stuff better than the Dio stuff because it reminds me of m'Daddy. :rolleyes:

Really---I don't know why I prefer the Ozzy era the most. I think it's because I know it better--I think my dad was the Ozzy-era fan...

My current favorite is "The Wizard."

That is one of my favorites too. The intro with the harmonica is so cool.

The early Ozzy line-up is by far the best, even though the later incarnations have had their great moments as well.

Ozzy may not be a technically great singer, but his voice was perfect for the early Sabbath material.

You got that right. I think he's got a uniqe and personal voice, and together with the rest of the members in Sabbath, he created some great music during those early years.

Ozzy may not be a technically great singer, but his voice was perfect for the early Sabbath material.

Although I agree to some degree... I also think that Ozzy's vocal sounds 'perfect' with the earlier Sabbath material merely because that's the voice we naturally associate with it..

Although I agree to some degree... I also think that Ozzy's vocal sounds 'perfect' with the earlier Sabbath material merely because that's the voice we naturally associate with it..

I really don't think it's because we associate his voice with it. Today it's been so many incarnations of Sabbath, so, at least the new crowd of Sabbath fans (80's and forward), has probably heard the Dio line-up as much as the Ozzy line-up.

Even I, who grew up in the Heaven & Hell and Born Again-era, prefered the Dio line-up at the time.

But no matter how you see it, IMHO, it's the first line-up which probably has the most personal and uniqe sound, much because of Ozzy's voice I think, and that has a great deal to do why they got so popular in the first place. Today, I think Sabbath was best with Ozzy. It's all a matter of taste.

I really don't think it's because we associate his voice with it. Today it's been so many incarnations of Sabbath, so, at least the new crowd of Sabbath fans (80's and forward), has probably heard the Dio line-up as much as the Ozzy line-up.

Even I, who grew up in the Heaven & Hell and Born Again-era, prefered the Dio line-up at the time.

But no matter how you see it, IMHO, it's the first line-up which probably has the most personal and uniqe sound, much because of Ozzy's voice I think, and that has a great deal to do why they got so popular in the first place. Today, I think Sabbath was best with Ozzy. It's all a matter of taste.

I agree for the most part... I was just posing a different angle on the discussion. B)

Black Sabbath is not only one of the very first bands I ever heard back in the early to mid-70s but they are also among the first artists I ever owned an album by. In this case, it was Paranoid. To this day they are still one of my favorite bands and I still listen to their music just as frequently as I always have. They are definitely one of the cornerstones of rock n' roll and will continue to influence other artists for eons to come.

The Heaven and hell album is a great rock record, I still listen to that one today. The early Black Sabbath is a whole nother animal though, indeed Ozzy is not a great singer, but i think it was that rough around the edges vocal that contributed largely to the haunting themes and sound of Sabbath. Think of Dio singing the line "What is this that stands before me" it wouldn't sound eerie at all, but with Ozzy singing it you questioned whether you were listening to a band, or a Seance.