The Black Sabbath Thread

manderlyh

:lol: I never said Ozzy was a great singer! I think I like the Ozzy stuff better than the Dio stuff because it reminds me of m'Daddy. :rolleyes:

Really---I don't know why I prefer the Ozzy era the most. I think it's because I know it better--I think my dad was the Ozzy-era fan...

masters of the universe

:D

Come on, everybody! Let's talk Sabbath!

I like Sabbath via the Ozzy years the best.

How's it going "manderlyh?" I must commend you, you do have great tastes in music and bands. I LOVE BLACK SABBATH! The OZZY years are also my favorite. The last time I saw BLACK SABBATH live was the REUNION TOUR in 1999. I saw them live in San Jose, California. I swear, I have never seen so many devil worshippers in one place in my life. They were like the opposite of the Ku Klux Klan only they were wearing black robes and burning crosses upside down in the parking lot. WILD CONCERT in deed. ROCK ON!

• 6 months later...

Ozzy Osbourne Suing Tony Iommi For Black Sabbath Name

28461341-28461346-slarge.jpg

Photo: Walter/WireImage

Lawyers representing Ozzy Osbourne have filed a lawsuit with the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office against the heavy metal icon’s Black Sabbath bandmate, Tony Iommi, claiming the man responsible for some of the genre’s most memorable riffs illegally assumed sole ownership of the Black Sabbath name. (Update: read Ozzy’s full statement on the suit here.)

According to the New York Post, Osbourne’s suit seeks a 50 percent stake in the “Black Sabbath” trademark. Furthermore, the filing claims Osbourne is entitled to a portion of the profits Iommi has generated through use of the band name, and suggests it was Osbourne’s “signature lead vocals” that helped propel the band’s “extraordinary success.” The suit also points out that Sabbath’s popularity took a nosedive during Ozzy’s absence during 1980 and 1996, when former Rainbow vocalist Ronnie James Dio took over behind the mike stand.

Click here to read the remainder of the article.

Edited by Jahfin

Okay, Sharon Osbourne smells money again (the same woman that ruined the re-releases of Blizzard of Ozz and Diary of a Madman)

Yeah, it is odd they were able to tour with other singers (as well as other personnel) in the past under the name of Black Sabbath but there was seemingly no problem with it.

Okay, Sharon Osbourne smells money again (the same woman that ruined the re-releases of Blizzard of Ozz and Diary of a Madman)

Agreed. Love Ozzy, just not what has become of him. I guess when the t.v. shows don't work out, money has to be made other ways! What a sad, joke of a family.

• 2 weeks later...

I like Black Sabbath. One of my favorite bands. My favorite period is with Ozzy, but I like others too. My favorite albums are: Black Sabbath, Paranoid, Master Of Reality, Sabbath Bloody Sabbath, Vol. 4 and Heaven And Hell. My favorite songs are: "Black Sabbath", "N.I.B.", "Iron Man", "Paranoid", "Children Of The Grave" and others. When I first heard Black Sabbath I was really surprised but scared too. One of the greatest bands of all time IMO.

• 4 weeks later...

In my opinion, the original Black Sabbath is the best. That is not to say that Sabbath with Ronnie James Dio or Ian Gillan is any worse, it just means that, when most people hear or think of Black Sabbath, they usually think of the original (at least I do). Each variation of the band with whoever was singing has their best songs. A few that I would mention:

Ozzy: the Wizard - Iron Man - After Forever - Lord of this World - Snowblind - Hole in the Sky - All Moving Parts (Stand Still) - Johnny Blade (and dozens more of course)...

Dio: Neon Knights - Heaven and Hell - Children of the Sea - the Mob Rules - Lady Evil...

Gillan: Disturbing the Priest - Zero the Hero - Digital Bitch...

And so on.. To be quite honest, even though I consider Tony Iommi one of the best guitarists and a real "heavy metal" pioneer, I kind of lost track of the "other" Black Sabbath after the Born Again album.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Black Sabbath is amazing! First six albums are perfect at least for me. They lost their "magic" with the last two Ozzy-era albums but were re-energized with Dio. They only released one official live album of the band in their prime with Ozzy on vocals (Past Lives), but there are some great bootlegs out there.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7BkhtJM8CqE

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uRhZISswW_k

This is kind of funny.

Edited by Rock N' Rollin' Man

How's it going "manderlyh?" I hope all is well with you. I don't remember if I ever commented on your thread or not so I'm going to comment on SABBATH now. I am a BIG fan of BLACK SABBATH! I especially love the OZZY years from the beginning to 1979. I saw SABBATH'S last tour (With OZZY) with THE RAMONES in L.A. in 1978 but I was too wasted to remember the whole show. I did see SABBATH'S Reunion Tour in 1999 in San Jose, California. I do remember a lot of that concert, I especially remember the devil worshippers wearing black robes and burning crosses upside down in the parking lot. It was another one of those wild nights, you just had to be there to believe it. Ha Ha! Have a great day and ROCK ON!

Edited by ZeppFanForever

Hi "manderlyh!" I hope all is well with you. You know that I love SABBATH! I was wondering, what do you think of Ozzy's daughter Kelly Osbourne's dancing talents on ABC's DANCING WITH THE STARS? I must confess "manderlyh," I didn't think that Kelly would make it past the first round. According to the DANCING WITH THE STARS website, Kelly is the BIGGEST surprise on the show. Kelly can really dance "manderlyh!" She has good coordination and rhythm to be a great dancer. I didn't think that she had it in her. When Kelly completed her first dance, she ran over to her proud parents Ozzy (John like me) and Sharon and gave them both big hugs and kisses. That was a beautiful moment. Ozzy was so proud! Now that Ozzy is going to be making more appearances on DWTS as a member of the audience, I guess that it is now cool to watch the show. Ha Ha! Have a great day and ROCK ON "manderlyh!"

LATE EDIT! It would even be better if Sharon would get BLACK SABBATH back together and have them perform live on DWTS. What do you think?

Edited by ZeppFanForever

I grew up on Black Sabbath. Saw them for the first time at the California Jam in 1974 at the Ontario Motor Speedway and then a couple of years later at a outdoor venue in San Bernardino. I think Ironman was one of my favorites. However, I'm liking some of the new stuff. When I see Ozzy these days it's hard to beleive he's the same man that was jumping around on stage all those years ago.

I was, and still am a huge fan of the Ozzy years. I saw Sabbath around 76/77 at the San Diego Sports Arena, unfortunately, Ozzy was not in good form (this was about the time of Ozzy's dowmward spiral) and the music was too loud and distorted. It was very disapointing, but it did not kill my love of their music. I will always be a fan of their innovative and mind blowing music.

• 4 months later...

Happy Birthday to the one and only Black Sabbath. IMO the greatest metal band ever.

The reunion tour was pretty amazing. Saw it many times.

Too hard to pick a fave, but NIB, Johnny Blade, Sweet Leaf and Supernaut are way up there on the list.

Just saw the Heaven and Hell tour this year, snuck my camcorder in and taped some of it...until they caught me, but that's in another thread.

I just got a 7 disc DVD bootleg copy of "Top Of The Pops" & surprisingly Sabbath appear on it doing "Never Say Die". Lol, it's pretty funny but good. Ozzy is actually a pretty good lip syncner & it's funny watching a crowd of new wavers, disco fans, & rock fans "dancing" to the performance. Surreal.