Stone Temple Pilots Find Peace as a Band

Bong-Man

http://www.macombdaily.com/articles/2010/08/21/entertainment/doc4c6e9c5904f3b648360248.txt

After tumultuous history, Stone Temple Pilots find peace as a band

Published: Saturday, August 21, 2010

By GARY GRAFF

For Journal Register Newspapers

The group has had hit singles, multi-platinum sales and sold-out concert crowds around the world. But all Stone Temple Pilots guitarist Dean DeLeo wants for his band these days is peace, calm and quiet — except, of course, on stage.

“I just want everything to be smooth around us,” says DeLeo, who co-produced this year’s “Stone Temple Pilots,” the quartet’s first new album in nine years, with his younger brother, bassist Robert DeLeo, and Detroiter Don Was.

“I want everybody to work in a really pleasant environment, and not just the band; we’re just four cats that walk up and grab our instruments — they’re handed to us, for goodness sake. But we have 18 people on the road with us who have families as well, and we want to make sure our work environment is safe and pleasant and everybody’s content.”

That’s not an unreasonable desire given STP’s tumultuous history.

Formed as Mighty Joe Young in 1986 in San Diego, STP — which also includes frontman Scott Weiland and drummer Eric Kretz — was a hit out of the box. Its debut album, 1992’s “Core,” sold more than 8 million copies, launched the hits “Creep,” “Sex Type Thing,” “Plush” and “Wicked Garden” and scored a Grammy Award (Best Hard Rock Performance), an American Music Award (Favorite Pop/Rock New Artist) and an MTV Music Video Award (Best New Artist).

Since then, the group has sold more than 40 million records worldwide, notched 16 Top 10 singles on the Billboard rock charts and was ranked No. 40 on VH1’s list of the 100 Greatest Artists of Hard Rock.

But the success has come with plenty of drama — mostly stemming from Weiland’s drug addictions, which led to incarceration, rehab stints and schisms within the band, including hiatuses during 1997-98 and 2000 and a five-year split between 2003-08. The group members stayed busy during the interim, with Weiland fronting Velvet Revolver and the DeLeos, who are godfathers to the singer’s children, working with Filter’s Richard Patrick in the short-lived band Army Of Anyone, but there was always a sense, according to Robert DeLeo, that “we do something very special when we’re together as Stone Temple Pilots that you can’t duplicate anywhere else.”

Reuniting the band in 2008, spurred by a preemptive call from Weiland’s wife to Robert DeLeo’s wife, proved relatively easy. But now the DeLeos say due diligence is being paid to prevent the tumult that has driven STP apart in the past.

“I think in any relationship, communication is the key factor,” Dean DeLeo explains. “We’re better at that now, I think. We all have to respect what one another’s wishes and needs are. We’ve been shoulder to shoulder for a long time. We know each other really well and we know what to expect from one another and we have high expectations from one another.”

His brother, however, notes with a laugh that, “I don’t think (the band) has ever been on an even keel, and I think that’s what I’ve grown to accept with Stone Temple Pilots. We’ve been a band for 18 years now — more like 23, before we were signed. There’s a certain understanding you have where you know what the other person is going to like and dislike and you know what’s going to work.”

Most importantly, the younger DeLeo adds, “As a 44-year-old man now, I can honestly say I don’t think Stone Temple Pilots is my life. I’m a father and a husband. I have other things and people and things within myself that define me, and if I can take those things and put them towards my music now, I think it makes for better music and for a better relationship with (my bandmates) to enjoy what we’re doing.

“There’s a lot more clarity this time around, and a lot more wisdom to go along with the music.”

STP is certainly enjoying the reception to “Stone Temple Pilots,” which debuted at No. 2 on the Billboard 200 when it was released in May and also topped the magazine’s Hard Rock and Rock Albums charts. The first single, “Between the Lines,” soared to the top of the Alternative and Mainstream Rock charts, while its successor, “Take a Load Off,” is in the midst of its own ascent.

Dean DeLeo says the latter, which he wrote, has been around since the sessions for Army Of Anyone’s lone 2006 album. “There are a lot of people saying, ‘That really sounds like an Army Of Anyone song’ — well, no s***, I was in the ... band!’ ” DeLeo, 44, says with a laugh. “It just happened to be in that time frame. If I was writing for a Stone Temple Pilots record it would still sound the same.

“But what happened is I demoed that song, and Rich (Patrick) wasn’t really digging it. And I was like, ‘That’s just fine, my good friend, ’cause I know somebody who will take a good bite out of that.’ Of course, Scott (Weiland) did his thing; he put together the entire melody and lyric to that. I just offered him the music, as I did with most everything on the record.”

STP had plenty of material for “Stone Temple Pilots,” in fact. “We’re always writing. There are always songs around,” says DeLeo. But a key difference in making the album was that the group produced it for the first time themselves, with the DeLeos and Kretz working on instrumental tracks at the drummer’s Bomb Shelter Studios in Los Angeles and Weiland working on his vocals with Don Was separately at Lavish Studios — a vastly different process than the group’s first five albums with Brendan O’Brien.

“Brendan was always a very, very busy guy, and he had time constraints,” DeLeo recalls. “He was always like, ‘We have to finish by this date, ’cause I’m on another record two days later.’ I remember when we were tracking ‘Purple’ (in 1994); I was (recording) ‘Still Remains’ when Pete Droge was moving in. So that was always kind of a drag.

“So for the first time in this band’s career we didn’t have that time constraint, and it was really really great. You’re able to kind of stumble upon a little bit more nuance and explore new ideas and not feel that time pressure.”

Recording the instruments and vocals separately, meanwhile, falls under the heading of maintaining inner-band peace, according to the guitarist.

“Scott wanted to work by himself, and I get that,” DeLeo explains. “It’s like ... everybody in my band’s a guitar player, and when I’m in there trying to see my vision through ... and I’ve got two guys breathing down my neck, ‘Hey man, use this guitar’ or ‘You should try that amp,’ you feel like, ‘Dude, get outta here! Leave me alone!’

“And I’ll be honest with you, I would’ve been that guy for Scott — ‘Hey man, try this microphone. Can you do this? Can you sing that a little differently?’ I wouldn’t have allowed him to see his vision and creativity through, so it was better this way. And Don was kind of the liaison between the two camps and was instrumental in getting us in the same room and putting what we both did together.”

It’s a process DeLeo can see repeating when STP records again — but he doesn’t think that’s going to happen anytime soon. The group is touring North America through mid-October, then has dates in South America during December before heading over to Europe in early 2011. Getting back into the studio again isn’t on the docket, but DeLeo does hope to avoid the nine-year gap that preceded “Stone Temple Pilots.”

“Stranger things have happened,” he says, “but I think we’re all having a really good time doing this and, yeah, we’ll just kind of see what happens. Right now we’re just really busy with this. We’re in the throes of figuring out when we can do a video for the third single (probably ‘Cinnamon’) and we’re talking about the touring.

“At this point we just take things as they come and not get too far ahead of ourselves, you know?”

• 2 years later...

Singer Scott Weiland responds to STP firing

Loading... By MESFIN FEKADU, AP

5854-Music-Stone-Temple-Pilots.jpg

NEW YORK — Singer Scott Weiland said he learned that he'd been fired by the Stone Temple Pilots when the band released a one-sentence statement to the media Wednesday.

"I learned of my supposed `termination' from Stone Temple Pilots this morning by reading about it in the press," he wrote in a statement. "Not sure how I can be `terminated' from a band that I founded, fronted and co-wrote many of its biggest hits, but that's something for the lawyers to figure out."

The statement by the band said: "Stone Temple Pilots have announced they have officially terminated Scott Weiland." No other information was provided.

Weiland said he's focusing on his solo tour, which kicks off Friday in Flint, Mich.

Stone Temple Pilots' 1992 debut, "Core," has sold more than 8 million units in the United States. Their hits include "Vasoline," "Interstate Love Song" and "Plush," which won a Grammy in 1993 for best hard rock performance with vocal.

Weiland was also in the supergroup Velvet Revolver with Slash and other musicians. The 45-year-old has dealt with drug addiction, run-ins with the law and two failed marriages. He released his memoir, "Not Dead & Not for Sale," in 2011.

The Stone Temple Pilots' latest album is their self-titled 2010 release.

So the rest of the band couldn't make it as "Army of Anyone" the first time they parted ways with Weiland, so now they figure they should just continue to use the name to trick fans into buying tickets....:rolleyes:

Give it a rest guys, Weiland was the main creative force and only member that made you relevant!

Next.....

Scott Weiland like many other dunces in this world, forget whatever it is you do which you are successful in life allows you to pay the mortgage and so on - that you are lucky. When you have a chance at a comfortable life, don’t forget where you came from, don’t forget what got you where you are, and don’t throw it away because you may never get it back. Judging by the interview he gave on Howard Stern last year, Scott is a damaged dude that needs to get his act together and just deal with life like the majority of people.

So the rest of the band couldn't make it as "Army of Anyone" the first time they parted ways with Weiland, so now they figure they should just continue to use the name to trick fans into buying tickets.... :rolleyes:

Give it a rest guys, Weiland was the main creative force and only member that made you relevant!

Next.....

Seems more like that's what Weiland is planning on doing. Weiland claims he wants new material and so on, but is touring Core and Purple with his solo band.

Main creative force that wrote hardly any of the music? Lyrics were never their strong suit and to me the big draw is the riffs and overall guitar sound, not to mention some of the tastiest bass playing.

Don't think anybody should be touring as STP in a perfect world, but if anybody has rights to the name it's the Deleo brothers.

Seems more like that's what Weiland is planning on doing. Weiland claims he wants new material and so on, but is touring Core and Purple with his solo band.

Main creative force that wrote hardly any of the music? Lyrics were never their strong suit and to me the big draw is the riffs and overall guitar sound, not to mention some of the tastiest bass playing.

Don't think anybody should be touring as STP in a perfect world, but if anybody has rights to the name it's the Deleo brothers.

To each his own....Scott is the sound and the style of the band, IMO. The others did nothing as 'Army of Anyone', so it's not like Robert DeLeo can write music for anyone to sing. I love the band, have seen them in concert a dozen times - if the other 3 want to pass themselves off as STP, let 'em. They will be playing in bars very quickly though. Scott is obviously difficult to work with.

STP's live set has been 'Core'/'Purple' heavy since No. 4 was released - which has always bothered me.

To each his own....Scott is the sound and the style of the band, IMO. The others did nothing as 'Army of Anyone', so it's not like Robert DeLeo can write music for anyone to sing. I love the band, have seen them in concert a dozen times - if the other 3 want to pass themselves off as STP, let 'em. They will be playing in bars very quickly though. Scott is obviously difficult to work with.

STP's live set has been 'Core'/'Purple' heavy since No. 4 was released - which has always bothered me.

They may not have had success without Weiland, which I think can be said for about every former front man that goes on to solo work.

The Deleos work out of the band sounds 100x closer to STP than anything Weiland's been a part of. That's alot more important to me than the ability to sell tickets or albums.

I love Weiland, but maybe the frustration level has maxed out between the other three and him.

I saw them 3 times in the last 5 years, and although it was pretty much the same show, everytime, they were still great. Couldn't help wondering each time I saw them if it would be the last time.

The DeLeo's and Kretz are as good as any other threesome but they need a healthy Scott to make it happen for them and STP with another singer would be weird.

Too bad. Great band! (wonder where'd they be without the dope and booze over-indulgences)

I agree with pretty much every comment so far.. and can see all sides of this.

All 4 should wake up and realize that they are perfect together.

The DeLeo Brothers and Eric Kretz are an amazing trio.. They have so much control of their music.

They keep it very tight and the tempo is always rock steady.... They are one of the most tasteful major bands around today.

Scott Weiland is a great vocalist and frontman .... and a pure Rock Star.

He's a pain in the ass but so aren't most Rock Stars... and they don't don't grow on trees these days.

His "solo band" does sound like shit and very weak. Plus Scott wasn't into that performance of 'Wicked Garden' at all. Not sure what your point is though. Scott has done much more without STP than they've done without him. Bottom line is he's a junkie and I'm surprised he is still alive. I've thought that after every STP and VR show that I have attended. But the fact remains he is the face and voice of STP.

STP never did much for me...they came on at first too much like a Pearl Jam clone in those early-nineties days of grunge hype. Yeah, some of the guitar riffs were Zep-like, but the lyrics were mostly garbage.

The first time I saw them was when they opened for Neil Young & Booker T and the MGs at the Forum in 1993...or was it '94? Stone Temple Weasels put me to sleep...my friends had to wake me up for Neil & Booker T.

This entire STP/Scott Weiland split is reminiscent of far too many other band breakups these days...like the Queensryche/Geoff Tate fiasco.

I love the irony...

*from the article posted by the chase..."...I learned of my supposed `termination' from Stone Temple Pilots this morning by reading about it in the press," he wrote in a statement. ...

Didn't he announce his departure from VR onstage during a gig?

Jus' sayin'... :bubble:

I love the irony...

*from the article posted by the chase..."...I learned of my supposed `termination' from Stone Temple Pilots this morning by reading about it in the press," he wrote in a statement. ...

Didn't he announce his departure from VR onstage during a gig?

Jus' sayin'... :bubble:

True, very true! It will be interesting to see what comes of him at this point. Relying on drug addicts to come through for you is a no-win situation.

He is a ticking time bomb. I've seen them many times and caught Velvet Revolver once live. I have to say I prefer him in STP. The brothers are good, but it's like seeing 1/2 the Doors on the road and you have to be open minded to accept it. I can see him falling to his drug demons, like his little brother. I hope not, but his track record isn't too good......

My point exactly BUK! The guy they chose for AoA tries his best to sound like Scott and even stands a little like him around the monitors, but they are boring without Scott, from an entertainment point of view. If they prostitute the STP name with a singer like that, they will be in bars - like they were as AoA - in no time. The band is a good band and Scott with them makes STP rock. They are just trying to rip off their fans by continuing with the same name when they already have another band title they work under.

I REALLY like AoA! That CD is as good or BETTER THAN STP, over time. I find that listen much more to AoA than STP. The songs are more complex and tasty. STP is/was cool for it's time, but the bad boy heroin chic act gets old. Let the DeLeo brothers paint on their own!

STP never did much for me...they came on at first too much like a Pearl Jam clone in those early-nineties days of grunge hype. Yeah, some of the guitar riffs were Zep-like, but the lyrics were mostly garbage.

The first time I saw them was when they opened for Neil Young & Booker T and the MGs at the Forum in 1993...or was it '94? Stone Temple Weasels put me to sleep...my friends had to wake me up for Neil & Booker T.

This entire STP/Scott Weiland split is reminiscent of far too many other band breakups these days...like the Queensryche/Geoff Tate fiasco.

I hope we don't see two Stone Temple Pilots going at the same time.. like LA Guns, Queensryche and Great White are all doing now.

That is beyond pathetic. I do see the STP comparison to Queensryche though.... prima donna singer.. kicked out of HIS band ... blah blah blah..

Great White too ... now that I think about it...you would think the different Great Whites at this point would be fighting about who has to use the name.

I REALLY like AoA! That CD is as good or BETTER THAN STP, over time. I find that listen much more to AoA than STP. The songs are more complex and tasty. STP is/was cool for it's time, but the bad boy heroin chic act gets old. Let the DeLeo brothers paint on their own!

I bought the AOA cd when it came out and thought it was a pretty good effort. Still throw it on, in the car, from time to time. They had Ray Luzier on drums, who is great, but I prefer Eric Kretz.

Hope the three of them can find a new singer and move forward again. Still think they should use another band name....cheers

Archived