Live Aid July 13, 1985 Philadelphia Jimmy Page, Robert Plant and John Paul Jones played with Phil Collins on Drums

Guest CadillacOfRock

Saw him at a local caravan cafe on Blackheath, cooking burgers and sausages, thought he took the job as a "Griller" I know there was someink in the air that night, thought it was burning fat but that might have been the Meatloaf. :whistling:

Kind Regards, Danny

:goal: In the net..........good one my man.

I admit to not being a Collins fan but that has just as much to do with his music being inescapable back in the 80s than anything else but that's no fault of his own. Looks like the criticism, a life in the public eye and declining health have had a very negative effect on him. I'm sure the Rolling Stone interview will only give those people that already hate Collins even more cause to bash him but I'd say those folks also lack compassion.

Exclusive: Phil Collins Admits Suicidal ThoughtsCollins also tells Rolling Stone that he has no desire to return to pop music

By Andy Greene

NOVEMBER 9, 2010

In the new issue of Rolling Stone, on stands in the digital archives this Friday, Phil Collins says he believes that he may have lived past lives — and that he's contemplated suicide. The reclusive singer — who hasn't released an album of new material in nearly ten years — took writer Erik Hedegaard into his surprisingly modest home in Switzerland and explained that most of his time is now spent working on his gigantic collection of artifacts from the Alamo and raising his two young sons from his last marriage. Decades of criticism have taken their toll, and Collins says he has little desire to create more music beyond his new disc of Motown covers, Going Back. "I sometimes think I'm going to write this Phil Collins character out of the story," the singer says. "Phil Collins will just disappear or be murdered in some hotel bedroom, and people will say, 'What happened to Phil?' And the answer will be, 'He got murdered, but, yeah, anyway, let's carry on.' That kind of thing."

Other highlights from the article:

• Collins has noticed glowing, semitransparent light orbs in a series of photos he took at the Alamo. "It's paranormal energy," he explains, nothing that a psychic recently told him he fought at the fort in a previous lifetime. "I don't want to sound like a weirdo. I'm not Shirley MacLaine, but I'm prepared to believe. You've seen the pictures. You can't deny them, so therefore it's possible that I was there in another life."

• A neck injury has left him unable to hold drum sticks, sign his signature or even (at times) wipe himself in the bathroom. "I was going to stop drumming anyway," he says. "I had stopped. I don't miss it."

• Collins admits that he's had suicidal thoughts in recent years. "I wouldn't blow my head off," he says. "I'd overdose or do something that didn't hurt. But I wouldn't do that to the children. A comedian who committed suicide in the Sixties left a note saying, 'Too many things went wrong too often.' I often think about that. "

:wtf:

Please, I had suicidal thoughts 5/6 years ago, no one gave a Monkey's toss, my post wasn't ment to be series, I like the fella, I like to have a light hearted bash thats all. I can understand him wanting to though with some of the dirge he has created. Compassion I am the most compasinate person there is, but also a pisstaker too. Thats what got me through the crap thats happened in life.

Peace fella .

as poorly as they played it was a truly fantastic day.........and i believe the greatest rock gathering of all time

guess you had to be there

Hey I watched everything from Wembley and JFK and it was special out of a 1980's TV box :)

I did not say it was just Phil. I said he didn't help. We have actually talked about this before, and yes I am aware you were at both events.

As for Atlantic's 40th...Yeah, for me it was much worse. Jimmy was (and looked) awful and it showed. The complete meltdown on Heartbreaker was enough for me.

Ugh

Horrible

LOL

Hey everyone has a bad night

Zeppelin Defend Live Aid Dvd Refusal

05 August 2004

Legendary rockers LED ZEPPELIN have defended their decision to refuse permission for their LIVE AID performance to be included on an upcoming DVD of the charity event.

ROBERT PLANT, JIMMY PAGE and JOHN PAUL JONES claim they gave a "sub-standard" performance at the giant 1985 concert, and have refused to allow the footage to be used.

But, as Live Aid organiser SIR BOB GELDOF is hoping the DVD - due out at the end of this year (04) - will raise up to $576 million (GBP320 million) for Sudan, the WHOLE LOTTA LOVE musicians have promised to donate future earnings to the cause.

A statement reads: "Jimmy Page, Robert Plant and John Paul Jones are in absolute full support of the fundraising project for the people of Sudan.

"However, Jimmy, Robert and John Paul found that both the sound and general reproduction of their performance at Live Aid was sub-standard.

"To show their ongoing support Jimmy and Robert have therefore pledged proceeds from their forthcoming PAGE AND PLANT DVD release to the campaign.

"John Paul Jones will be donating the proceeds of his current US tour with MUTUAL ADMIRATION SOCIETY to the project."

Ugh

Horrible

LOL

Hey everyone has a bad night

Ouch that hurts, lets be thankful they got it right at the O2, doesn't matter who you are, there is no substitute for practice, nobody has the devine right to pick up their instrument and be able to play good everytime....it takes dedication and effort, even when you have made it, go the T.shirt etc, this clip is indeed bloody awful. You still need to do more than a day before hand practice before you fo out on stage.

Zeppelin Defend Live Aid Dvd Refusal

05 August 2004

Legendary rockers LED ZEPPELIN have defended their decision to refuse permission for their LIVE AID performance to be included on an upcoming DVD of the charity event.

ROBERT PLANT, JIMMY PAGE and JOHN PAUL JONES claim they gave a "sub-standard" performance at the giant 1985 concert, and have refused to allow the footage to be used.

But, as Live Aid organiser SIR BOB GELDOF is hoping the DVD - due out at the end of this year (04) - will raise up to $576 million (GBP320 million) for Sudan, the WHOLE LOTTA LOVE musicians have promised to donate future earnings to the cause.

A statement reads: "Jimmy Page, Robert Plant and John Paul Jones are in absolute full support of the fundraising project for the people of Sudan.

"However, Jimmy, Robert and John Paul found that both the sound and general reproduction of their performance at Live Aid was sub-standard.

"To show their ongoing support Jimmy and Robert have therefore pledged proceeds from their forthcoming PAGE AND PLANT DVD release to the campaign.

"John Paul Jones will be donating the proceeds of his current US tour with MUTUAL ADMIRATION SOCIETY to the project."

Donations or not, their performance wasn't the worse that fine sunny day, it smacks of humbug, yes it wasn't the best but they should have at least put one of the songs on dvd, the world now just thinks.......well I will leave that to you. Although I do understand as a half baked muso myself how I hate playing anything wrong, we all have that opinion of oh God that was crap what have just done, but to the rest of us its like hey no that was ok, don't worry.

Could of cropped together best moments from the performace, that would have been better, just something, I mean they edited little bits (not edit but put effects or double tracked, will have to dig copy out of K.Shirly talking)ofLed Zeppelin DVD on ALS Knebworth I think I read. just to enhance the audio pleasure.

The Grateful Dead talked down their performance at Woodstock for years but finally, a few songs from it surfaced ("Dark Star" is available on the Rhino box set Woodstock: 40 Years On: Back to Yasgur's Farm while "Turn on Your Lovelight" and "Mama Tried" are included as bonus material on the 40th anniversary edition of the movie). In regards to Zeppelin's performance at Live Aid, I don't remember it being all that bad myself but it's been years ago since I last saw it. Still, with the innertubes and the abundance of bootlegs out there, it's just a click away if someone really wants to see it bad enough.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9AzIsSHJJq4

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VD7ysELB5xo

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aReWlouaXuA

Seems Robert had a few words to say about Phil too...

"I hate their bland line of pop that has nothing to do with the heart.The two are like vallium."

R.Plant on Phil "Buster" Collins and George "got lost in the woods officer :whistling:" Michael.

From and interview with the Spanish Press.

You tube is fine to find odds and ends an lost gems etc, but you kinda want to hear it on dvd or blueray, quality picture and 5.1 sound etc.

The boys made their decision and thats it, but am allowed to voice my opinion that I would have liked something from the performance on the DVD of Live Aid.

Dissapointed I am , a bit like staying up all evening to about one in the morning in about 1983 watching "THe Midsummers night tube" because Plant had recorded a set for this 8 hr music show on you guessed it. Having Jools Holland and I think paula Yates hosting it but not actually telling us that Plants set was not going to be shown untill about midnight, I had to sit through alot of 80's dross from about 7pm to hear that.............

REMEMBER THE MESSAGE IN DA MUSIC.........OPEN YA EYES UP MY PEOPLE.... WISE UP .......

242 and DA WORLD.........SPREAD DA MESSAGE......AND TEACH DA YOUTHS.

Think of all of the money the dvd could have earned if their vanity didn't get in the way. I know the P/P dvd did give some $ in place of it - but come on now. I know I would have bought a copy if LZ was included. That is why I have a copy of Live 8 show - for the Pink Floyd set only. When Phil Collins introduced Plant, Page, Jones, etc. - it was pure magic. It still makes the hair on my arms stand up....

Think of all of the money the dvd could have earned if their vanity didn't get in the way. I know the P/P dvd did give some $ in place of it - but come on now. I know I would have bought a copy if LZ was included. That is why I have a copy of Live 8 show - for the Pink Floyd set only. When Phil Collins introduced Plant, Page, Jones, etc. - it was pure magic. It still makes the hair on my arms stand up....

:thumbsup:

[engage gravelly deep voice like a movie trailer]

In a world... where every musical artist seems willing to flash their goods on Lucifer's Dream Box, it comes as a refreshing change to have any artist decline an opportunity to get more exposure to the swarming masses. It's not like the Zep machine needs any more PR.

And any argument about money for starving millions is rather a moot point - such amounts are, IMO, a private matter between Jones, Page and Plant, and any charity they choose to support. Too many artists jump on the "char-a-dee" bandwagon, for often questionable reasons, not least artistically.

And don't forget Robert Plant declined to appear at Live 8 in 2005. I'm nearly sure he's quoted about that topic, but just read the subtext, eh?

In a world... where every musical artist seems willing to flash their goods on Lucifer's Dream Box, it comes as a refreshing change to have any artist decline an opportunity to get more exposure to the swarming masses. It's not like the Zep machine needs any more PR.

And any argument about money for starving millions is rather a moot point - such amounts are, IMO, a private matter between Jones, Page and Plant, and any charity they choose to support. Too many artists jump on the "char-a-dee" bandwagon, for often questionable reasons, not least artistically.

And don't forget Robert Plant declined to appear at Live 8 in 2005. I'm nearly sure he's quoted about that topic, but just read the subtext, eh?

Thats certainly one way of viewing it.

And any argument about money for starving millions is rather a moot point - such amounts are, IMO, a private matter between Jones, Page and Plant, and any charity they choose to support.

Didn't they choose to support the charity when they chose to play the event?

As Leddy said - that's one way of looking at it.

The Grateful Dead talked down their performance at Woodstock for years but finally, a few songs from it surfaced ("Dark Star" is available on the Rhino box set Woodstock: 40 Years On: Back to Yasgur's Farm while "Turn on Your Lovelight" and "Mama Tried" are included as bonus material on the 40th anniversary edition of the movie). In regards to Zeppelin's performance at Live Aid, I don't remember it being all that bad myself but it's been years ago since I last saw it. Still, with the innertubes and the abundance of bootlegs out there, it's just a click away if someone really wants to see it bad enough.

Similarly, the Stones kept the Rock and Roll Circus under wraps for decades, allegedly because they thought their own performance was lacking, particularly in comparison to The Who. They finally released it officially a couple of years ago and I think the Stones are brilliant! Go figure...

Similarly, the Stones kept the Rock and Roll Circus under wraps for decades, allegedly because they thought their own performance was lacking, particularly in comparison to The Who. They finally released it officially a couple of years ago and I think the Stones are brilliant! Go figure...

Maybe they think its Rock'n'Roll to do this, its not 1969 now, like old Axel Rose keeping everyone waiting for hours for his shows last year...its 2011 not 1979.

Evidently they weren't happy with their performance at Live Aid, that's why they didn't want it included on the DVD. Given Page's perfectionism, it's really no surprise. As for Axl Rose, he's been notorious for keeping audiences waiting throughout his career with Guns n' Roses.

Evidently they weren't happy with their performance at Live Aid, that's why they didn't want it included on the DVD. Given Page's perfectionism, it's really no surprise. As for Axl Rose, he's been notorious for keeping audiences waiting throughout his career with Guns n' Roses.

Really I didn't know that <_<

Really I didn't know that <_<

I'm not sure if you're being sarcastic or if you're referring to Page's penchant for perfectionism or Axl keeping his audiences waiting; if it's the latter, all you have to do is do an internet search for "Guns n' Roses riot". You'll get results from G n' R's first run as well as the current version of the band. The common denominator? Axl.

Some more on the subject of the Live Aid DVD from an interview on the Mojo magazine website with Bob Geldof about Live Aid and Live 8 :

Link to article

At both events, you had co-operation from some notably unco-operative people...

For Live 8, Pink Floyd let us have total access to the rehearsals, let us film it and let us use it for whatever purpose we liked. These are supposedly the most curmudgeonly people in rock. Zeppelin and Sabbath got back together for Live Aid. And when we found the tapes at the Beeb to do the Live Aid DVD, I showed them to Jimmy. Planty said yes, we could use it, but Jimmy said he couldn't: 'I can't Bob, it's so shit.' I said, 'It's not shit Jim, it's really not shit. It's a pity people can't see it. But you're the only f***er who's refusing.' 'I can't... I can't.' A week or so later, I get a letter from Jimmy. 'Tell you what, we have a new Zeppelin Live DVD out. Take all the money. Take all the money.' Amazing generosity. I hate it when people diss rock'n'roll. Hate it! Twats, you know?

Archived