Osaka 71 Aud. vs Sbd?

chef free

You may well already have the "soundboard" since theres always been debate over exactly whether it is one, it certainly doesnt sound very similar to any others of Zep.

Theres a couple of audience sources, the complete old 929 source and the one TDOLZ released about a decade ago covering the first 2/3rds of the show under the same name, There both resonabley distant recordings so if you don't like the strong bass/drums and the vocals being at the back of the mix on the "soundboard" then the TDOLZ version is worth a try I'd say since it is pretty clear and well balanced while the newer soruce lasts.

There is no Soundboard, its a mic (or two) actually on the stage, probably on or near floor level. This is why bass and guitar (and drums?) are so loud compared to vocals, If you have ever been front row at a smaller venue where the main house speakers are directly on your side or even slightly behind you then you have experienced this sound. You get the loud sound of the bass and guitar amps and the drums but the vocals without amplification (which is coming through those speakers on your sides) are much less audible. Always an unfortunate side affect of being front row at venues setup this way.

You may well already have the "soundboard" since theres always been debate over exactly whether it is one, it certainly doesnt sound very similar to any others of Zep.

Theres a couple of audience sources, the complete old 929 source and the one TDOLZ released about a decade ago covering the first 2/3rds of the show under the same name, There both resonabley distant recordings so if you don't like the strong bass/drums and the vocals being at the back of the mix on the "soundboard" then the TDOLZ version is worth a try I'd say since it is pretty clear and well balanced while the newer soruce lasts.

Hmm I might have to try the AUD then, this issue has always bothered me a bit though you get used to it.

What Osaka are you refering? the 28 or the 29 th.

The Osaka 28 is Audience.

The Osaka 29 are by many years though that is an "soundboard" but really is a great audience recording.

So, both are Audience.

Incorrect the 29th has and always has been a sbd(either board or multitrack mixdown, best I can tell the band didn't use monitors back in 71). It is not a stage recording. The stereo seperation on the recording is a dead giveaway since in those days the speaker system used to project the sound out in to the hall probably would have been dual-mono not stereo.

Incorrect the 29th has and always has been a sbd(either board or multitrack mixdown, best I can tell the band didn't use monitors back in 71). It is not a stage recording. The stereo seperation on the recording is a dead giveaway since in those days the speaker system used to project the sound out in to the hall probably would have been dual-mono not stereo.

+1

As Percy said in an interview from november 1971, "the balance on the live recordings from the Japan tour was completely off. We had better results on an ordinary Revox".

This sounds like a perfect explanation:(

+1

As Percy said in an interview from november 1971, "the balance on the live recordings from the Japan tour was completely off. We had better results on an ordinary Revox".

This sounds like a perfect explanation:(

I was about to question things again but this comment leads me to believe its likely a SBD then. I assume this issue only affected the recording as if the sound was this off at the shows that would be a serious issue.

This is how the loudness seems to me:

Lets say drums are loudest (and left channel mostly) so drums are the bar at 100% volume.

Bass: 80-90%

Guitar: 70-80%

Vocals: 30-50%

I have the "Fatally Wanderer" (aud) This is the txt that came with new "soundboard":

Led Zeppelin

Festival Hall

Osaka, Japan

September 29, 1971

Soundboard recording - "Stage recording" source

Lineage: 2nd gen => dat3 => cdr3 => eac => wav => flac

Contrast clause: This is a soundboard recording, therefore a different

source than these audience sources:

"Smoke Gets In Your Eyes" (Scorpio release)

"Fatally Wanderer: Definitive Edition" (Wendy)

Track listing:

Disc one (69:05):

(1) The Immigrant Song (4:46)

(2) Heartbreaker (9:13)

(3) Since I've Been Loving You (8:39)

(4) Black Dog (7:06)

(5) Dazed and Confused (29:18)

(6) Stairway To Heaven (10:01)

Disc two (39:08):

(1) Celebration Day (6:09)

(2) That's The Way (7:07)

(3) Going To California (10:39)

(4) Tangerine (5:20)

(5) Friends (4:35)

(6) Plant singing (0:29)

(7) What Is and What Should Never Be (4:47)

Disc three (61:41):

(1) Moby Dick (13:35)

(2) Whole Lotta Love Medley (30:22)

(3) Communication Breakdown (7:53)

(4) Organ Solo (4:31) =>

(5) Thank You (5:19)

Md5 signature file is included; sorry, no artwork. All files are exactly as

they were originally torrented on DIME in November 2007 (except md5

signature, which was not included in the original torrent).

Comments:

Much has been written about this legendary show over the years; this is a

legendary performance of which both audience and soundboard recordings have

been heavily bootlegged. Commenters may want to weigh in on the merits of

this particular performance; suffice to say that the band members were all

on fire during this show and let loose with a ferocious performance. This

show had it all -- loose, brilliant improvisation; tight musicianship, and a

great setlist. This show featured I think the first (perhaps only) version

of "Friends" as Led Zeppelin, and the best WLL medley I can remember.

The audience recording is very good for the era; the soundboard recording is

a little better, though unfortunately it doesn't match the sonic fidelity of

some of the boards from later tours that have surfaced over the last couple

of decades. There are some cuts throughout (I don't remember where they are,

but perhaps commenters have better documentation than I do).

This show is a must (probably in both soundboard and audience formats) for

any Led Zeppelin collector. This nugget surfaced on DIME in late 2007 posted

by November 2007; it ran for over a year with more than a thousand

downloads, and hasn't been back since. Thought it might be worth reseeding

for those who weren't on DIME at the time, or missed it the first time

around. This one is nice to have because it's in its raw, unprocessed

format, free of the "enhancements" that bootleggers have added over time.

Comment from the original info file:

Nonbootleg source of the soundboard aka stage recording. All cuts common

with circulating bootleg sources. This particular source is missing Rock and

Roll.

I have a theory, and I think this tape is a monitor mix recording. There is one of the Landover show in 5-26-1977 and I have both the soundboard and the monitor mix. The monitor mix of this show in particular has a lot in common with the "Soudboard Tape" of Japan 1971.

I say this is a monitor mix tape.

Thanks for the clarification WW

Archived